Lumia 521 wifi password issues

pezman726

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi all. I'm having an issue I'm hoping someone has dealt with. I just purchased a few new Lumia 521s from t-mobile. Took them home and connected to my home wifi. When the phone loses the wifi connection (either because i reset or turn off wifi...or it just loses it in sleep mode) and tries to reconnect, it asks for my password again. It will re-connect just fine. But for some reason, it just does not want to store my network's password. I got annoyed after having to put it in the 2nd time...so every other time is really going to bug me!! This should not be happening. My Lumia 920s don't have this issue...nor any other device that I have had in the past (webOS devices).

Has anybody else had this issue and found a solution?

Thanks,
Pez

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
My 521 has been fine. It remembers half a dozen pass words for wifi calling in some of the places I visit. I went back to wifi under settings and found nothing that caught the eye. Do you have the wifi on after screen times out box checked?

pezman726

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Yep, that box is checked. I left the phone on all night last night (in sleep mode) and it kept hold of the wifi. But when I toggled wifi, it wouldn't reconnect without password entry again. It's very odd...

I do have 2 others that I can test with though. I'll see if they are exhibiting the same 'feature'

pezman726

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Tested my phone @tmo store with a hotspot. Reconnected just fine. It must be a problem with my modem/router. The same thing is happening with my father in law as well. we both have at&t DSL with the 2wire modems. I'll have to play around with the router settings to see if I can get it to work.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Tested my phone @tmo store with a hotspot. Reconnected just fine. It must be a problem with my modem/router. The same thing is happening with my father in law as well. we both have at&t DSL with the 2wire modems. I'll have to play around with the router settings to see if I can get it to work.

Good point we were losing connections once every week or two and the problem went away when I changed routers. We had to reset the router to get the connection back.

pezman726

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Good point we were losing connections once every week or two and the problem went away when I changed routers. We had to reset the router to get the connection back.

FIXED!!!!!

So, I found this link to a Nokia Support article.

http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/product/lumia521/faq/?action=singleTopic&topic=FA136623
The Support title is
"Nokia Lumia 521 - Why do I get an Incorrect Password error every time I connect my Lumia to home WiFi even though my password is correct?"

Even though that's technically not what I was getting, I decided to have a go at it anyway. So I followed the instructions. Logged into my 2wire modem/router, changed from 802.11b/g to just 802.11g restarted router, and I was able to connect and disconnect without having to re-enter my password.

I then decided to re-enable the b/g to see if I would start getting the errors again. re-enabled, rebooted router...and.....It still is working. huh... Maybe my router just needed a reboot? I'll have to go over to my father in law's house and do the same thing for him. Hopefully it'll work also!

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
FIXED!!!!!

So, I found this link to a Nokia Support article.

Nokia Lumia 521 - FAQ – Troubleshooting – Questions and Answers - Nokia Lumia 521 - Why do I get an Incorrect Password error every time I connect my Lumia to home WiFi even though my password is correct? - Nokia - USA
The Support title is
"Nokia Lumia 521 - Why do I get an Incorrect Password error every time I connect my Lumia to home WiFi even though my password is correct?"

Even though that's technically not what I was getting, I decided to have a go at it anyway. So I followed the instructions. Logged into my 2wire modem/router, changed from 802.11b/g to just 802.11g restarted router, and I was able to connect and disconnect without having to re-enter my password.

I then decided to re-enable the b/g to see if I would start getting the errors again. re-enabled, rebooted router...and.....It still is working. huh... Maybe my router just needed a reboot? I'll have to go over to my father in law's house and do the same thing for him. Hopefully it'll work also!
Unless you actually have B devices you should leave it off. Many routers perform better when it is.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos