Such a shame the 810 is practically dead - it is a great device.

Zachary Carnes

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunate :( I set my parents up with these phones and they have had nothing but issues with them. My mom can't even have more than a couple apps downloaded without the internal memory full. Can't receive texts or calls. We've done full factory resets and the problems still occur. It's pretty much a brick right now.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunate :( I set my parents up with these phones and they have had nothing but issues with them. My mom can't even have more than a couple apps downloaded without the internal memory full. Can't receive texts or calls. We've done full factory resets and the problems still occur. It's pretty much a brick right now.

That's quite odd, since 8GB should not be full with only a few apps. I recommend downloading the Nokia Software Updater from Nokia and resetting the device with it. NSU will wipe the phone & reflash the firmware on the device with a fresh copy downloaded from Nokia's servers.

Also make sure they're not loading up the memory with pictures, videos, or music.

Lastly, as an 8GB phone, only around 4 - 6GB is available for use. As with any device, the 8GB moniker is the size of the actual memory, versus the usable memory on the device. Usually, the Operating System (System Memory) takes up roughly 2 - 3GB of that 8GB, leaving you with less than marketed memory.

Furthermore, even though this point I am unsure of whether this applies to smartphones, but with other memory devices in marketing, they use a scale of 1000MB per GB. However, a GB is actually 1024MB, meaning there is a gap between marketed memory and actual memory available.

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
With the possibility to get WP8.1 on the 810 via the developer program, I am very likely top keep it around for a lot longer.
For me this device is what I need and works just fine. 8GB of storage! Ohh well, I've got the apps I need and a 32GB memory card means plenty of storage for pics, music and maps.

:smile:

Zachary Carnes

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
That's quite odd, since 8GB should not be full with only a few apps. I recommend downloading the Nokia Software Updater from Nokia and resetting the device with it. NSU will wipe the phone & reflash the firmware on the device with a fresh copy downloaded from Nokia's servers.

Also make sure they're not loading up the memory with pictures, videos, or music.

Lastly, as an 8GB phone, only around 4 - 6GB is available for use. As with any device, the 8GB moniker is the size of the actual memory, versus the usable memory on the device. Usually, the Operating System (System Memory) takes up roughly 2 - 3GB of that 8GB, leaving you with less than marketed memory.

Furthermore, even though this point I am unsure of whether this applies to smartphones, but with other memory devices in marketing, they use a scale of 1000MB per GB. However, a GB is actually 1024MB, meaning there is a gap between marketed memory and actual memory available.

Thanks Dustin, I'll pass it up and see if it helps! I really want them to enjoy their WPs as much as I do!

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Very un-eventful.
The 810 is now updated and running. Seems to be just fine. :smile:
The extra row of tiles also look good.

Is there a way to quickly move installed apps to the SD card?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Very un-eventful.
The 810 is now updated and running. Seems to be just fine. :smile:
The extra row of tiles also look good.

Is there a way to quickly move installed apps to the SD card?

To move apps to SD card follow these steps:
Click on settings > storage sense >apps+games
Once you see the listing of apps you can tap each app and then select it one by one or multiple select to move to SD card.

Hope this helps.

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
This update gave a new life to the 810. No reason not to do it.
Even with a 480 x 800 screen the new column of tiles look great. Live Tile notifications are clear and easy to read.

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Anyone on T-Mo who wants to try WP should get a used 810 from fleebay or whatever and upgrade to 8.1 an voila!
Now you have a good mid/high spec phone with a lot of bells and whistles actually.

It's got almost everything except a HD screen.

- Great camera
- FFC for Skype
- SD card
- Removable battery, makes for long term use if the battery goes bad
- NFC
- VPN

Nokia could just reuse the drawings and re-launch it with minor upgrades as the next step up after a 5xx/6xx series phone.

kbagrows

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Then they'll End-Of-Life it 8 months later... Damn it T-Mo, why do you have to be so reasonably priced yet have such horrible behavior towards faithful customers...

What does it matter? 8.1 runs great on my 810, and I don't have to wait for T-Mo to release it. I was pissed at T-Mo for a while, but now..... whatever.

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Then they'll End-Of-Life it 8 months later... Damn it T-Mo, why do you have to be so reasonably priced yet have such horrible behavior towards faithful customers...

Haha, yeah they do suck in many ways but price is good.

Edit : As a matter of fact T-Mo updated my plan to be unlimited everything for being a 10 yr customer. If that applies to 4G speed data... not sure. If so I might just drop the cable internet for good and use Internet sharing.

Last edited:

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

The 810 was EOL'ed due to poor sales. Not because of "Tmobile being Tmobile". However, the sales were somewhat their fault, pricing it fairly higher than the 820 on competing carriers, and failing to make the accessories widely available. But that doesn't guarantee it's successor would fall to the same fate,

Robert Novak1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
You all need to head over to FB and post the following message edited for the target company and the length of service you have with them

Dear T-Mobile,

When windows phone 8.0 was released it was stated that all WP 8 devices would receive a FULL 18 months of support. As the owner of a Lumia 810, I am sorely disappointed that you, Nokia and their parent company Microsoft have failed to deliver on that promise. The last update my phone received was the AMBER update and you have withheld the BLACK update for this device only. As a customer with a long service history (going on nearly 9 years) I just don't understand why you would abandon a piece of your hardware. Is this how you treat loyal customers? If so, it is time to consider changing carriers as even though you have some of the best deals, I do not want to do business with a company that does not take care of it's customers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs