Does anyone have this problem?.......phone screen unresponsive when making a call

deeznutz206

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Just like the title says, my screen becomes unresponsive while I am making a call. It is just a blank screen and button presses doesn't work either. It becomes responsive again when the other person on the line hangs up. I can't even hang up on my end. I've tried everything, even a hard reset but no luck. Anyone had this happen to them? I'm about to chuck this POS phone against a wall. :devil:

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
If you hold the phone to your ear the screen *should* be doing this - it should be going blank and not accepting any input. But if you're holding the phone away from your ear and taking a call the screen should behave normally. It sounds like you either need to clean the screen around where the proximity sensor is or if you have a screen protector over the top of the proximity sensor you could get this behaviour too, in which case you'd need to cut out an area around where the proximity sensor is on your screen protector (most screen protectors that are worth their money should already have a cut out here) otherwise you could have a faulty device.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Me and my girlfriend both have this problem. We both have Lumia 920s. What I believe the problem is, is that when you're done with the call and begin to take it away from your ear, out of force of habit you press the power button the light the screen back up, but during that time your phones screen automatically gets switched on so its like it goes on then off super quick and trips up the phone. It seems like whenever I keep this in mind while making a phone call it works for me. Give it a shot!

Drives me absolutely insane by the way hahha

deeznutz206

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
If you hold the phone to your ear the screen *should* be doing this - it should be going blank and not accepting any input. But if you're holding the phone away from your ear and taking a call the screen should behave normally. It sounds like you either need to clean the screen around where the proximity sensor is or if you have a screen protector over the top of the proximity sensor you could get this behaviour too, in which case you'd need to cut out an area around where the proximity sensor is on your screen protector (most screen protectors that are worth their money should already have a cut out here) otherwise you could have a faulty device.

I'm guessing you have the proximity sensor covered. Get a custom cut screen protector.

Omg, it was the damn screen protector that I just put on. Didn't realize it didn't have a cutout for the prox sensor. Serves me right for picky a cheap one, lol.
Thanks for the help!

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
It's not caused by a screen protector.

This happens to my ATIV S as well, drives me crazy. When I talk on speaker phone, about 75% of the time the device becomes unresponsive. No combination of button presses will wake it up. This means I can't even hang up the call until the person I'm talking to does.

Very frustrating. And I don't use a screen protector so there's nothing I can do different.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro