About HTC 8S storage and installing apps

progmistro

May 11, 2014
Visit site
So i had a nokia 710 before upgrading to htc 8s (edit: sorry), i have no problem with it though i do have one problem, and that is the 4gb storage, i have bought a 16gb microsd and it works just fine, what i would like to know is if i can have apps on the 16gb sd card without taking up space on the 4gb internal. is that possible? ive been around some forums and other sites saying that you can put xap files on to the sd card and then installing onto w8, my question is will that take space on the internal as well?
thanks for the help

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Hello progmistro, and welcome to WPC!

On WP8.0 the answer is no. Installing a XAP (the distribution package) from the SD card will make absolutely no difference. The app itself will be installed to internal phone storage, just as it would be if you installed it from the store.

On WP8.1 however, you can. Using the "Storage Sense" app, it is possible to specify where you want apps installed.

Akash Patel

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
So i had a nokia 710 before upgrading to htc 8x, i have no problem with it though i do have one problem, and that is the 4gb storage, i have bought a 16gb microsd and it works just fine, what i would like to know is if i can have apps on the 16gb sd card without taking up space on the 4gb internal. is that possible? ive been around some forums and other sites saying that you can put xap files on to the sd card and then installing onto w8, my question is will that take space on the internal as well?
thanks for the help
if you have WP8 you cant install apps on sdcard but you can install from sd card means if you are low on data and cant download big file such as 100mb or so you can download it in your pc and copy that xap file to your sd card and install from sd card to your phone memory in this way your data wont be consumed but you will require data connection as store will check whether your model meet the requirements of that app.
But from WP8.1 we will have ability to install apps on sd card if you want you can use developer preview to install 8.1 but this is a beta version so it is little buggy still it is worth updating for low storage devices like htc8x,lumia 520. But you will need class 6 or higher sd card or else you will have some performance issue.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
great thanks when will 8.1 be available for my phone and what are the system requirements?

Take a look around WPC. There is a lot of information available here on that issue.

In a nutshell, WP8.1 can already be had if you really want it. HTC already has WP8.1 in house, but when the official role out to your device occurs depends on how quickly HTC and your carrier do their work.

DNHill

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Umm without wishing to ask a dumb question - how are you using the micro-SD card with an HTC 8X? They don't have an expansion socket, or at least mine doesn't unless I've missed something quite fundamental somewhere along the line...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Umm without wishing to ask a dumb question - how are you using the micro-SD card with an HTC 8X? They don't have an expansion socket, or at least mine doesn't unless I've missed something quite fundamental somewhere along the line...

lol, you are quite right. I read right past that. I suspect the OP actually owns the 8S, since he/she mentioned having 4GB of storage space and having inserted a 16GB SD card.

OP, can you confirm?

progmistro

May 11, 2014
Visit site
No no, i have 8s, the sd card slot is where you would put sim card, its literally right across from it. To open the the area where the sim is you pull down where the color is different from the rest of the phone like where dark blue is different from the light blue, unless ur mixing 8s from 8x which idk how 8x works. Go to the htc website and it will tell you that it has MICRO sd card slot wp8s-f1-1.png

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I have been using 8.1 Developer Preview on day 1 it became available and I'm happy with in on my 8S. This combination is what prevents me from considering another phone. Had the 8S been gifted with LTE, I wouldn't even replace it.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre