Severe battery drain in airplane mode

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else notice a severe battery drain whilst the phone is in airplane mode? Mine goes from full to 20% in a few hours, whereas it loses maybe about 5% in standby mode with Wi-Fi and cellular data on. Just wanted to find out if anyone else has noticed the same problem or not?

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
That's crazy! I can't recall if I ever used my 810 in Airplane mode, even when my boyfriend and I flew to Florida early last year. It really shouldn't drain the battery at all, though. :straight:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
That's crazy! I can't recall if I ever used my 810 in Airplane mode, even when my boyfriend and I flew to Florida early last year. It really shouldn't drain the battery at all, though. :straight:

Only in Airplane mode. I am running 8.10.12393.890.
Without airplane mode it lasts over 24 hours:)

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
That's really weird. A couple weeks ago I went for long motorcycle ride into areas where I knew I wasn't going to have cell service so I turned on Airplane mode (to avoid having the phone search for any cell or Wi-Fi) and only used the phone to play music. After 6 hours I went from 100% to 82% battery capacity.

I only turned off Airplane mode when I was taking rest breaks, and I knew I was in areas, towns that had cell service and needed to look things up (restaurants, gas, check messages, etc.). A couple of times I kind of got lost and had to use Here Drive+ and the downloaded maps, with Airplane mode turned ON, to find my way and to have audible speed warnings.

After 24 hours of doing this, I ended up with the battery at around 67%. Pretty good in my opinion. I did something similar when I first got my 810, but never turned on Airplane mode (I just forgot about that setting) and the phone died after 7 hours of use because it was always trying to find some sort of network.

Granted, I did do a factory reset the day before (trying to clear up some XBM issues so I would try to have a decent music experience).

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I updated the phone to the latest WP 8.1 OS version last night and am flying to Minnesota tomorrow, I will post a further update and let everyone know how things are going. Thanks for sharing your experience Guz.

Muhammad Fayed

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I had it yesterday ..
I turned it on at 6:00PM and it went from ~75% to ~20% in just ~5 hours without using the phone for anything else. I just wanted it silent and enjoy a day off.
after reaching 20% I think the system is trying to extend the battery life .. so it kept going for a while until I found my phone off today.

rirm1w.jpg

I have Lumia 1520 but It's same problem all over.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I decided to just power down the phone while in flight and use my tablet instead on the plane. I needed to conserve battery for using HERE Maps once I reached Minneapolis. I think MSFT needs to know about this bug.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I decided to just power down the phone while in flight and use my tablet instead on the plane. I needed to conserve battery for using HERE Maps once I reached Minneapolis. I think MSFT needs to know about this bug.

If it doesn't happens on current model Windows phones ... MS won't do a thing.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
^ +1 You're right but I was referring to the the graph (which I failed to mention) from the Battery Sense App which I reset before Airplane mode -that's what it read & I didn't bother to calculate it ! :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psyduck