My W3 has put desktop as default...how do I change it back?

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I think my Acer W3 has linked to my Nettop and taken Desktop as default over start screen......

How do I unlink and restore start screen as default on my tablet???

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Tap hold\ right click the taskbar on desktop
Tap\click Properties
Tap\click Navigation at the top of the dialog
Under Start screen see if "When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to desktop instead of Start"
If checked, uncheck

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Tap hold\ right click the taskbar on desktop
Tap\click Properties
Tap\click Navigation at the top of the dialog
Under Start screen see if "When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to desktop instead of Start"
If checked, uncheck

Played around and played around, rebooted 5 or 6 times same result. It boots to start screen, however after I close any app it returns to destop.

I did also find "Sync PC Settings" was on in one drive. so now it is off. Again reboot and tried to follow your directions ( which are spot on!!!!!Thank you for clear instructions!!!!), but again I am still landing on desktop after app close.

Desktop is fine for my Nettop ( Acer Revo), but for my Acer W3 Tablet I want start Screen.

So I am going to try a full reset to factory set up.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Wow I gotta say Acer made a nice Tablet to use....but the worst ever thing to try and restore !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am well over 12 hours (straight), working this issue......

Ok here is a run down.....Firstly Acer did not include a USB on the go cable with the W3.....may have in later models but not the unit I got.

Will not allow for restore over WiFi ( use of PC drive to read the restore dvd). I did manage to start the restore by copy/paste of the DVDs to MicroSD......but wait there is more.......it took forever to get the Acer Restore feature to see the SD as the right media and would only use the first SD card.....when it asked for Disk 2 ( MicroSD 2), it would not allow for reading from the SD again......so it was a part restore to factory.......no Acer junk software, but also no drivers at all.

It did manage to boot as Un-Activated Windows 8 Build 9200, but of course only basic drivers......no wifi, no networking at all.

So hop over to my PC and thankfully on the Acer support site was a full driver pack......install from SD and bang no missing drivers and Windows 8 activated once I connected.

Had to Run Windows Update to grab 99 important files before I could start the Windows 8.1 Update.......that had to run 3 times as each time only parts would install as the others would fail........ and now I am at the download of 8.1, 2.6 Gig in total.

So after all this there is a bright spot.......No Acer gubbins to take up space and also no Office installed ( I don't use it), so I should have a good amount of space available on the C: drive :)

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Wow I gotta say Acer made a nice Tablet to use....but the worst ever thing to try and restore !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am well over 12 hours (straight), working this issue......

Ok here is a run down.....Firstly Acer did not include a USB on the go cable with the W3.....may have in later models but not the unit I got.

Will not allow for restore over WiFi ( use of PC drive to read the restore dvd). I did manage to start the restore by copy/paste of the DVDs to MicroSD......but wait there is more.......it took forever to get the Acer Restore feature to see the SD as the right media and would only use the first SD card.....when it asked for Disk 2 ( MicroSD 2), it would not allow for reading from the SD again......so it was a part restore to factory.......no Acer junk software, but also no drivers at all.

It did manage to boot as Un-Activated Windows 8 Build 9200, but of course only basic drivers......no wifi, no networking at all.

So hop over to my PC and thankfully on the Acer support site was a full driver pack......install from SD and bang no missing drivers and Windows 8 activated once I connected.

Had to Run Windows Update to grab 99 important files before I could start the Windows 8.1 Update.......that had to run 3 times as each time only parts would install as the others would fail........ and now I am at the download of 8.1, 2.6 Gig in total.

So after all this there is a bright spot.......No Acer gubbins to take up space and also no Office installed ( I don't use it), so I should have a good amount of space available on the C: drive :)

Wow!+Dang it!
This sounds like me lol...vow to win at all cost!

Thanx for the update!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos