822 phone apart to install new usb port. Have a question

ryancell

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to fix my sister-in-laws Nokia 822. It had a loose usb port that after I took the phone apart, it easily pulled out by just putting a charger in the port. I ordered a replacement part on ebay and it should come today. I have the phone apart and ready to install a new port, but I noticed the usb port area has a metal protector of some kind over the port area.

Will I need to desolder this, or are the usb ports designed to snap into this metal protector snug? I havent had time to try and take that shield off to see. I'd assume I'd have to solder the 5 pins to the board, but this shields blocking access.

I tried finding a youtube video on the 822, but I only found 1 teardown and it doesnt address the usb port removal.

Thanks!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Before you do any soldering work check the continuity on the pins in the current hub, if you have good continuity then perhaps a good cleaning should work, just check that before you dive into the big USB port replacement job.

If you need to replace it follow the following steps:
You will need to use soldering iron, hot air gun and probably flux to desolder the metal protector off the USB port. After you install the new port, reverse the process and put the metal protector back on. The microphone is just adjacent to the metal protector (a small rectangular item on the board) make sure you don't zap it with the soldering iron or the hot air gun otherwise that mic will go kaput (my success rate is 75% for this repair). Also use a multimeter to make sure you have good continuity with the new USB port before you assemble the phone together.

Good luck with the replacement and please post back your results. I have explained this process to quite a few people here but folks never post back the results. Hope you do that for the community. Thanks.

ryancell

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I was able to take the protective metal port off, but the small length of the new usb ports tabs are really small. I am able to put it in and see that it allows the phone to charge by making contact with the 5 pins, but I am not sure if I will be able to solder those 5 small pins to the board. Also I am going to do some kind of solder on the edges to ensure the usb is firm if I get it to work.

I am going to go to radioshack and pick up the smallest soldering tip I can get. Mine is just the one that came with a standard solder gun.

I don't have a microscope , so this is looking to be nearly impossible in some way for me, even though I have soldered a chip into my original nintendo wii, this is way smaller. Not sure if I have the skillset to make it work. I think it will just mostly take patience it seems.

Any tips? Thanks!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I was able to take the protective metal port off, but the small length of the new usb ports tabs are really small. I am able to put it in and see that it allows the phone to charge by making contact with the 5 pins, but I am not sure if I will be able to solder those 5 small pins to the board. Also I am going to do some kind of solder on the edges to ensure the usb is firm if I get it to work.

I am going to go to radioshack and pick up the smallest soldering tip I can get. Mine is just the one that came with a standard solder gun.

I don't have a microscope , so this is looking to be nearly impossible in some way for me, even though I have soldered a chip into my original nintendo wii, this is way smaller. Not sure if I have the skillset to make it work. I think it will just mostly take patience it seems.

Any tips? Thanks!

A microscope will definitely help. Did you order the part applicable to the 822? If it is the correct USB port, you should not have issues. If you do not have a microscope, get a loupe and that should be able to help you out as well. Yes, you do need the smallest soldering tip you can get, but check the continiuity of the 5 pins before you put the metal cover back on. Good luck.

ryancell

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
A microscope will definitely help. Did you order the part applicable to the 822? If it is the correct USB port, you should not have issues. If you do not have a microscope, get a loupe and that should be able to help you out as well. Yes, you do need the smallest soldering tip you can get, but check the continiuity of the 5 pins before you put the metal cover back on. Good luck.

Yes, correct usb. I guess the part thats tough to me is that once the usb is in place those pins are facing down leaving nearly nothing left to solder to. I read up and some people use heat guns to melt the usb pins to the board. I may try to find a local repair place. Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077