Question about DP 8.1 update

Wayne Taylor

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I bought a 8XT off ebay with a bad ESN just to mess around with and use as a music player. I've installed the developer preview app and all but i'm currently only on version 8.0.10521.155. Is there something i'm doing wrong or something I need to get past that version? Or is that the latest version. This is my first introduction to WP, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Na, there's nothing wrong, besides HTC not keeping up with firmware updates. There's some missing aspects in the firmware that needs to be added before 8.1 Update 1 can be installed (Microsoft made it official about it either yesterday or the day before). So kind of a waiting game as to when it'll get released to the 8x and 8xt.

If, however, you're not talking about the Update 1, but 8.1 in general; you did sign up to be a developer (free) with the app, right?

Wayne Taylor

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Yes I did sign up on the app. Updates are enabled. I thought maybe the version would be 8.1 but maybe that's just me being used to iOS version naming.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
You're still on 8.0...not 8.1. The latest version for 8.1 (non-GDR1) is 8.10.12400.899. We cannot get 8.1 GDR1 yet due to the firmware issues.

We have 3 8XT's in my house, 2 updated to 8.1 no problem. 1, which was purchased new 6 weeks ago, will not find the 8.1 DP update (any update) at all and is stuck at 8.0. I'm not the only one who's experienced that issue as a few later 8XT's on here (ie replacement phones) are also stuck on 8.0 no matter what they do.

I have no idea if a Bad ESN will impact your ability to update to 8.1 or not...

Wayne Taylor

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
The only way I could see it being affected is if the update was from the Carrier which it's not. And seeing how a replacement phone is out of the question, is it possible I'm out of luck?

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I doubt that our one 8XT will ever find the 8.1 DP...the only way it'll see 8.1 is when Sprint finally releases it...Microsoft has a bug in the way or how it finds the update. All 3 phones are set up the same, each with an individual developer account in AppStudio...2 find it, 1 doesn't.

I know of a couple other 8XT owners that also can't find the update now after having gotten a warranty replacement phone. Unfortunately, our phones don't have a huge market share, so no one will pay attention and fix it.

Don't have any idea how a bad ESN will impact you...good luck!

AgentDelta

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Some CDMA phones were having issues with 8.1 DP where hard resetting after updating to 8.1 DP would erase the phone's data & MMS settings, so Microsoft blocked certain phones from getting 8.1 DP. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a list of which phones or whether they're still blocked.

Source: forum.xda-developers *DOT* com/showthread.php?t=2717437&page=4 (Post #38)
See also: social.msdn.microsoft *DOT* com/Forums/en-US/abcea227-efee-4016-a2be-c80192ccd2a7/81-dev-preview-kills-cdma-service-after-a-hard-reset?forum=winphoneosissues&prof=required
(Can't post links yet due to low post count; just copy-paste as necessary)

EDIT: The reports I've seen have mainly been about the Ativ S Neo, but the 8XT might have been blocked as well, since it's a CDMA phone. Not sure, though.

Last edited:

Wayne Taylor

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Ah well that particularly sucks. I'll probably end up selling the phone and go pick up a Nokia at Walmart on sale. Shame, I really like this one too.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Some CDMA phones were having issues with 8.1 DP where hard resetting after updating to 8.1 DP would erase the phone's data & MMS settings, so Microsoft blocked certain phones from getting 8.1 DP. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a list of which phones or whether they're still blocked.

Source: forum.xda-developers *DOT* com/showthread.php?t=2717437&page=4 (Post #38)
See also: social.msdn.microsoft *DOT* com/Forums/en-US/abcea227-efee-4016-a2be-c80192ccd2a7/81-dev-preview-kills-cdma-service-after-a-hard-reset?forum=winphoneosissues&prof=required
(Can't post links yet due to low post count; just copy-paste as necessary)

EDIT: The reports I've seen have mainly been about the Ativ S Neo, but the 8XT might have been blocked as well, since it's a CDMA phone. Not sure, though.

I hadn't heard that until now...thanks so much for posting. Guessing Sprint devices that didn't have the 8.1 DP installed after that date in May are now blocked until those issues are resolved. That's a bummer, but at least its offically acknowledged. TY!

Here's the link: 8.1 Dev Preview kills CDMA service after a hard reset!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans