Lumia 521 won?t play ANY audio or video

JBtrainman

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi, about a week ago, I started experiencing some issues with my T-mobile Lumia 521 running WP8 Lumia Black. It seemed that it would refuse to play any videos. The videos would start, and then stop one second later. I would resume the video, but it kept stopping on its own. After three attempts of resuming a video, it would stop playing altogether.
This issue seems to be affecting ALL types of videos:
Metrotube
YouTube website
Vine
6sec
Videos from camera roll
Videos in the Music+ Videos app

As of today, the issue has spread from not only videos, but audio as well. I cannot listen to any music, as it keeps stopping, and sound goes in and out during phone calls.

Has anyone else had these issues? Can this be fixed?

Thanks.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
A few questions for the sake of troubleshooting:
Is there an SDcard in the phone?
What is the amount of open memory left on the phone?
Do you have a large number of apps installed?
Is this happening on a data connection or wifi?

JBtrainman

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
A few questions for the sake of troubleshooting:
Is there an SDcard in the phone?
What is the amount of open memory left on the phone?
Do you have a large number of apps installed?
Is this happening on a data connection or wifi?

There is about 300MB left on the SD Card, and just under 1GB on the phone (I have it set so mew photos and videos save on the phone)
I have about 80 apps and games installed (I should probably delete some lol)
This issue happens on both data and WiFi

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm
1 gig on the phone might be a problem with video\audio streams buffering.
For me I always tried to keep the max amount of memory open on the phone by storing to SD.

I have seen a few videos over wi-fi quit unexpectedly on me 521 (not used anymore)
Music always played flawlessly.

Sounds like a larger, faster SD may be in order so apps\games that can be moved to SD will leave room.
The scenario I use for my 635 with a 32 gig card is:
all saved videos, pics, apps\games on the card
maintain 3GB or more free on the phone

Screenshot for reference

wp_ss_20140921_0001[1].png

JBtrainman

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I wish I could move my apps to an SD card to free up some phone space, but I think it requires the WP8.1 update?

*also, I just noticed I can hear a faint yet audible clicking sound coming from the speakers every few seconds. Can this have anything to do with the music /videos not playing?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
My apologies
I assumed you were able to use "Storage Sense" under 8.1

Not sure about the clicking.
I get faint odd noises at times when I stream from Rhapsody on both phones I use.

For the video\audio problem I'd be curious to see if clearing some space on the phone may help.
I want to say that I've read that 1.8-2 gig is a good threshold to maintain for low RAM devices.

Hopefully another member can chime in here with more knowledge.

JBtrainman

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I dont think it is the sd as you say the phone calls drop in and out. Could be hardware but hopefully software. Have you attempted a hard reset yet?

The sound of the phone calls drop out. Anyway, the issue seems to be completely random, as right now there is no clicking from the speakers and videos and music are playing normally. I'll see if it stays like this or if it goes back to not working

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea