Critical Update on 8S

PimpBot5001

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone received the Developer Preview Critical Update that was apparently released yesterday? My phone is saying "Your phone is up to date" when I tap the "check for updates" button :(

PimpBot5001

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone received the Developer Preview Critical Update that was apparently released yesterday? My phone is saying "Your phone is up to date" when I tap the "check for updates" button :(

Just solved my own problem. My developer preview app had been reset; once I opened it and answered all of the legal/consent type questions, I got a notification of the update.

zela80

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed their Phone/Other Storage running wild after applying this update? Mine is currently 582 MB and growing daily. If that goes on, I guess not even moving all app to SD card will prevent phone from becoming unusable. I suppose hard reset could help, but I find it a bit inconvenient to perform hard reset regulary (assuming this behaviour would persist after 1st hard reset).

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed their Phone/Other Storage running wild after applying this update? Mine is currently 582 MB and growing daily. If that goes on, I guess not even moving all app to SD card will prevent phone from becoming unusable. I suppose hard reset could help, but I find it a bit inconvenient to perform hard reset regulary (assuming this behaviour would persist after 1st hard reset).

There have been many discussions about that "Other" storage and how it seems to inflate continuously over time. In one of such discussions, I had an HTC 8s back then and had the same concerns as you do. I had some observations and you can read them in post#20, but in summary here's what I recon on the two plausible causes for such inflation:

1. Auto back up of Camera Roll is enabled - this causes the Photo Hub to "duplicate*" your photos, such that they will appear both in your Camera Roll and in your OneDrive > Camera Roll folders/albums. Disable this and you will notice an increase in your free space (give it time to sync first, though).

2. OS is collecting data for feedback to Microsoft - you can see under Settings > feedback that your phone can send feedback to MS. Now you've received a "critical update" for your phone, which enables MS to "test" their update system, it's most likely that more feedback are being gathered from users around the globe. Thus, information could be saved in some form of file within the "Others" section, which in effect takes up space. Now feedback is only sent over WiFi. So just connect to any WiFi network (preferably your home network) and wait for 5-15 minutes - this allows the feedback data packets to be sent from your phone. You should see an almost immediate increase in your free space, and the data counter under feedback will tell you that it has sent some feedback (though these two do not balance each other - not sure know why.)

In addition to these two, you may go to Settings > Storage Sense > Temporary files, and try to manually delete them there.

Hope these help.

*- Not exactly "duplicate" but the OS saves links on your phone that connect to your photos in the cloud... or some other method. But whatever method the auto back up doing, saving anything on your phone means more space will be taken up, and the consequence is losing free space.

zela80

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi gpobernardo, thanks for your reply.

I've had Camera Roll Auto Backup disabled, as well as any other backup solution (bad practice I guess :D), before all this started.

Feedback for MS had been disabled since the day I started using the phone. The phone is connected to home WiFi network for at least 4-5 hours every day.

Deleting temporary files daily frees no more than 10-20 MB.

I've read posts about "Other Storage Issue" and I got an impression that most issues were resolved after updating phone to WP 8.1, which is supposed to have much better storage management than WP 8.0.

Phone is 3-4 months old (I've installed WP 8.1 DP soon after unpacking, if I remember correctly) and I haven't had any problems with storage until recently. I've noticed the issue soon after applying this update so I guess it's still the number one suspect.

zela80

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Oh, and here are OS/FW versions:

FW: 3030.00.40504.422

Update: Phone/Other Storage is now at 587 MB, up from 582. It's been about an hour since I wrote my first post. :D

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I see, zela80. Thanks for these info. My HTC 8s is now with my sister (actually, it's hers now so it's no longer mine), and she's not yet home. I'll look into it further when she arrives and post some findings here. All I can remember is that both of you have the same OS Versions.

In the meantime, you can try enabling the feedback feature and see what that does while connected to WiFi.

zela80

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
In the meantime, you can try enabling the feedback feature and see what that does while connected to WiFi.

Well, no luck there. Phone was connected to WiFi network for the whole afternoon and night, while MS Feedback enabled and Other Storage size remained 587 MB. It also states that 0.01 MB of data has been sent to MS. Also did one soft reset late in the afternoon just in case.

On the bright side, it stopped growing.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
That's good news. My sister didn't install many apps in her phone, so she hasn't complained about the "Other storage". Just keep up posted when something comes up.

zela80

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Here's a quick update: finally did a factory reset couple a days ago, so far other storage remains steady at around 30 MB. Besides that, phone feels much snappier and battery life has improved. It now lasts 2 days easily, before that I had to charge it daily. So far so good, I'll let you know if the problem occurs again.

zela80

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Update 2: I guess honeymoon's over. Phone returned to old habits - other storage is now at 81mb and growing, lag is back and battery life is worse. I can think of only two solutions - do monthly factory resets or get a new phone.

flogistus

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Are you stil running Windows phone 8.0 or the 8.1 with the preview? If the first, join the preview!

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

zela80

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Are you stil running Windows phone 8.0 or the 8.1 with the preview? If the first, join the preview!

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

It's 8.1 DP (8.10.14219.341). Doesn't matter anyway, it has been hit by a stray snowball this weekend and microphone died and I decided not to repair it, but to get a new phone instead.

Thanks again to you and others sharing their ideas on this issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro