Windows 10 for Lumia 2520

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
We don't know 100% but the signs point to yes.

I don't know how it'll happen, maybe through the Store like the original 8.1 update?

Marais van Zyl

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
My assumption after reading the articles is that the preview will only be available along with Windows 10 for phones? Anyone got something more concrete on the issue?

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
We will be able to run Win10 apps, but will not get the oversimplified phone OS without a desktop. So I think in a sense, our devices will be superior to 8" tablets with Win10 for phone/small tablet. We will be able to run all modern apps, AND have the desktop with full office/file manager, etc. So I am actually quite happy about this. More like Windows Phone 8.7 than 7.8!

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
I hope this isn't true. Lumia 2520 is Microsoft owned/produced from Nokia acquisition. Moreover, they should be thankful to Nokia that someone actually supported their RT platform (nevermind it was axed a couple of weeks ago completely). I think there should be an update - but getting Win10 for phone/small tablet would be a step back, so thus would have something that can run Win10 apps, and still enable us to use the desktop with Office/file explorer.

Jon Hemphill

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
While I'm probably reaching for the stars here, all I want when any announcement is made is this - Office Touch / Office '16 (which I think could probably come true as the Previews show support for x86/x64/ARM) and Universal App support (so I can get a Cisco VPN app).

LZSchneider

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
With exclusion of RT Surface tablets, there's no official word if the 2520 will get any Windows 10 features so I wouldn't hold my breath. It is disappointing that Lumia 2520 users will not get the latest and greatest software, but the bright side is that Windows 8.1 RT is still a battery efficient, work-oriented operating system with virtually no threat of malware or major bugs.

That said, there is ONE bug I wish they would address, and that's the inability to use the blogging feature in MS Word on the Windows 8.1 RT Office due to a bug that's been fixed on Windows 8.1 but not Windows 8.1 RT. :/

Last edited:

Mike Semblance

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
Windows 8.1 RT is still a battery efficient, work-oriented operating system with virtually no threat of malware or major bugs.

Truer words couldnt be spoken!

We gave 35 of these out to salespeople, and 18 months later not ONE has a problem, virus, toolbar, spyware, BHO, malware,reaplayer, itunes, quicktime, flash or java vulnerability!

They all use them differently, with bluetooth keyboards mostly and Logitech unifying.

Lots of HDMI out to LED flatscreen TV's. 40 inch is average.

Outlook, Skype, IE11, Netflix 1080p, OneDrive, Banking, Word and Excel. ( in order of importance, for a traveling salesperson)

I hate to miss out on Windows 10 though, but if its for the good of Windows future in the industry, I will pay the price, since our whole network is windows, and we love the ecosystem.

Jonnny4

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Truer words couldnt be spoken!

We gave 35 of these out to salespeople, and 18 months later not ONE has a problem, virus, toolbar, spyware, BHO, malware,reaplayer, itunes, quicktime, flash or java vulnerability!

They all use them differently, with bluetooth keyboards mostly and Logitech unifying.

Lots of HDMI out to LED flatscreen TV's. 40 inch is average.

Outlook, Skype, IE11, Netflix 1080p, OneDrive, Banking, Word and Excel. ( in order of importance, for a traveling salesperson)

I hate to miss out on Windows 10 though, but if its for the good of Windows future in the industry, I will pay the price, since our whole network is windows, and we love the ecosystem.

These are the exact reasons I love my RT device. I use it with a Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse and I HDMI out to my TV or monitor if need be. I don't understand Microsoft's silence on this subject.

JCMaedl

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I also love my 2520 and am saddened by MSFT's decision. Here is one thing that I don't quite understand... the 2520 is pretty much identical in technical specs to the 1520, which will indeed get Windows Phone 10 (or whatever they are calling it). It doesn't seem too far of a leap to support the Qualcomm powered RT devices in some way, especially since they tout the experience to be so similar across devices.. Hell- even loading Windows Phone 10 on this might be interesting, though I do enjoy RT as is. Is anyone enough of a nerd to enlighten me on this?

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Window 10 Continuum would be great on it, if they did that, l'd buy it. Any update?nit actually makes no sense to me why they wouldn't. Would love the office apps in continuum no need for full desktop apps.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
We are still waiting to see what will come. I recently bought in on a 2520 gambling that it will get... something. Anything to breath continuing life into it.

Even if the gamble does not pay off, it is well worth the $125 I payed for a used 250 in good shape and not used much.

It takes my SIM, is productive and I can consume media on it. I think it is worth getting at a good price no matter what happens this summer with 10 vs RT.

Freelicks

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just picked mine up on Amazon for 135USD for this exact reason. Honestly my favorite Windows Tablet so far (I've had the Dell Venue 8 pro, HP Stream. Dell ST). Really hope it gets SOME form of Windows10. Streaming my Xbox to this bad boy would be pretty sweet, the screen is gorgeous. Best hundred dollar tablet money can buy, imo of course.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The screen is very nice. My last Windows tablet was Dell V8P, but my 6" 1520 screen made the 8" Dell seem not so worthwhile. I like the 2520 screen very much.

ChumsFuture

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
i bought a windows 10 tablet (acer switch 10) for my wife and although it's cool, the new OS is definitely desktop focused. the tablet mode on it seems like an afterthought and has some little quirky bugs (nothing major).

using my lumia 2520 with 8.1 is such a joy to use. the only thing i'd really want from windows 10 is the new Edge browser. it's much quicker than IE Mobile.

BTW, anyone get the Update 3 yet on their 2520?

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I just finished setting up to use Start Menu. I like it. Puts me in line with how I use 10 on my laptop.

I never camped out on Start Screen anyway.

Cheers.
I like the Start Menu, too.. but it felt entirely too small, scaling-wise, to me. The app list felt like it was designed to be difficult to click on with a finger (lending itself to the power keyboard's touchpad). I am VERY glad to have the option to use either interface... but I'm likely to stick with the Start Screen, personally.

Thank goodness for choice for us all! :)

Now if they DID at least give us Microsoft Edge on the 2520, we would really be set, browser-wise. Too bad they did not include that in Update 3 for Windows 8.1 RT.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The dream is Windows 10 Mobile... The 2520 is just a 10.1" screen on 1520 board.

I agree the all apps list is tiny. Search is your friend there. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte