Windows 8.1 update (developer preview ) on htc 8s

mankl

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello. I've got a serious problem with memory space of my htc 8s phone so i would like to update it to windows 8.1 in order to be able to get advantage of micro sd card. The only way to achieve it till now is to update through preview for developers. What are the possible risks that i have to take if i decide to update it? I've heard that there are interesting new features, but some bugs and problems as well, for example in some apps like viber and whatsapp or lagging generally. Is there anybody who knows something about them? I wouldn't like to have an updated phone with many problems, so is it worth it? And finally is there any info about official update in htc 8s? thanks

Last edited:

dididi123

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
HTC says that 8s will never get windows phone 8.1
I have updated my 8s with the developer preview, now I have 8.1 update.
It is faster, and gets all good things of the upgrade (notification center, volume control, install app on SD, an so on).
I use everyday whatsapp and it's ok, do not use viber.
I noticed no big bugs, so i can suggest to update your HTC :)

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello. I've got a serious problem with memory space of my htc 8s phone so i would like to update it to windows 8.1 in order to be able to get advantage of micro sd card. The only way to achieve it till now is to update through preview for developers. What are the possible risks that i have to take if i decide to update it? I've heard that there are interesting new features, but some bugs and problems as well, for example in some apps like viber and whatsapp or lagging generally. Is there anybody who knows something about them? I wouldn't like to have an updated phone with many problems, so is it worth it? And finally is there any info about official update in htc 8s? thanks

I used to have an HTC 8s, now it's with my younger sister. While she may not be as meticulous as I am when it comes to updates and "latest versions", I made sure, at least, that her phone has the latest OS and firmware versions by letting her join the Preview for Developers program. Now, her phone is running the latest WP 8.1 update (8.10.14192.280*). So far I haven't heard her complain about lags, bugs, random shutdowns, etc. The only trouble she had was in getting a major OS update which required a lot of phone memory - she had to temporarily uninstall a LOT of apps before the update could be downloaded. Aside from this, I can't recall any other issue. Now she's able to install apps on SD card and create live folders in the her start screen.

*- I'm relying on my memory here, since she's asleep now and I can't check her phone. But I'm pretty sure that's the OS version of her phone.:cool:

PimpBot5001

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I highly recommend updating to 8.1. I held out for quite awhile waiting for the official update, thinking that I'd need to jump through hoops to get the developer preview...which was not the case. Enabling the developer preview is as simple as downloading the app, signing in with our Microsoft Account answering a few in-app questions. Once you install 8.1 on an 8S, it's like a new phone because you'll actually be able to install more that an handful of apps...and you no longer have to worry about your free MB of internal storage being in the single digits.
There are two very minor downsides to installing 8.1 that I've noticed... I've created a bunch of folders (using the Folder feature introduced in 8.1 Update 1) and my start screen doesn't scroll as smoothly as it used to. But this could probably be avoided by creating less or no folders. As for Whatsapp, I recently noticed that it you have "restrict background data" enabled in Datasense, it gives you a message saying you need to disable it...and you can't view your messages until you do. That's kind of annoying, but I'm not sure if that "feature" is in all versions of Whatsapp, or only the 8.1 version.
One last thing... I literally had to delete every single app, map and file from my phone storage in order to make room for Update 1. So you may have to do a hard reset at some point to clear some extra storage space for all the developer preview system updates.

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I highly recommend updating to 8.1.....

+1 for that.

The 8s will not - officially - get the 8.1 through carriers, so the only way to do it is through the Preview for Developers program. Make a backup of everything you want to transfer to the new OS, do a hard reset (otherwise there won't be enough space for the updates) and before installing any apps, upgrade to 8.1 (we have had a couple of updates from 8.0 to 8.1 update 1 - if you opt in for the PfD program now, I'm not sure that you will be getting them incrementally or with one big update). The only thing that won't work after the update is the HTC clock application, but you can use a third-party solution (like Tile Clock). The 8.1 update is highly recommended, and, at the moment, it is VERY unlikely that you get it through official carrier channels.

Petephone

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
My 8S Calendar settings have reverted to 24hr time settings since i've installed the Critical Update last week.
The Phone's systems settings for date+time are switched off for 24hr clock. Anybody else have this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire