How long before it becomes obsolete

malep

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello There,
I like nokia's tablet but I don't want to end up in the same situation has with my Playbook.
So before spending the cash on it, I would like to know your thought about the lifetime of the 2520.
Do you think MS will continue to support for a some time (3 or 4 years) ?
I am using tablets as a replacement for a light computer (web browsing - still lots of site using flash, personal MS Office work) not really into gaming.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Then get a cheap full Windows 8.1 tablet, since you don't do games they should be fine. A Windows RT 8.1 device will limit your productivity, such as not able to run 32/64 bit apps (another browser for example, remember, you need flash).

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
we don't have solid numbers, but im willing to wager it'll see Windows 10 and a bit more.

However, if you are reaaallllyyy concerned and want to minimize chance, go for a full Windows tablet, from the expensive Surface Pro 3 to the budget Dell Venue 8 Pro, those can definitely be upgraded since they aren't really the "odd ones out" like the ARM-based RT tablets. (Surface RT, 2, Nokia Lumia 2520, Dell XPS 10...)

morete908

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
If it can do what you need it to do then it won't become obsolete. When it can't do what you need it to do then it will become obsolete. If it can do what you need it to do now, how can the tablet become obsolete in the future? If you want your tablet to do what other tablets can do in the future, you have to ask yourself, "do I really need it", or "do I just want it because my peers have it?"

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Then get a cheap full Windows 8.1 tablet, since you don't do games they should be fine. A Windows RT 8.1 device will limit your productivity, such as not able to run 32/64 bit apps (another browser for example, remember, you need flash).

You obviously haven't run a Win RT device if you think it can't run flash. You are, however, limited to IE for your browser.

Last edited:

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

Windows RT has flash support.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello There,
I like nokia's tablet but I don't want to end up in the same situation has with my Playbook.
So before spending the cash on it, I would like to know your thought about the lifetime of the 2520.
Do you think MS will continue to support for a some time (3 or 4 years) ?
I am using tablets as a replacement for a light computer (web browsing - still lots of site using flash, personal MS Office work) not really into gaming.

Even though this is a windows site but a frank opinion, if u need a tab now go for nexus 7, we dont know what w10 has in store.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 is the biggy for the lifetime of the RT devices like to 2520 and the Surface RT and Surface 2.

I got my wife a Surface 2 although it was a close call between it and the 2520 (I missed an offer on the 2520 by a few hours so went for the Surface).

As mentioned the RT devices are a bit different, they are not full blown Windows so can't run full blown Windows programs.

However I have to say they are still very nice tablets for doing tablety stuff like surfing the web, email, accessing OneDrive for pictures, playing music.

Yes you can buy cheap tablets running full blown Windows, and maybe this is a way to go, but going by our experience of the Surface 2 (The 2520 is very similar but I think nicer looking) and for doing basic tablety things they are nice tools for the job.

Another thing to consider is looking around for original Surface Pro's (I have one) or the Surface Pro 2, these are stonking bits of kit and run full windows yet are still tablets, you can pick up some very good deals if you look around, I saw an immaculate Surface Pro in a cash converter window for ?100 yet this is i5 processor with 4g, although I admit the battery life is poor compared to the RT devices.

I expect the RT devices to get Windows 10, but no one can promise this yet

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
From the very first tablet device (Surface RT) Microsoft has stated that they will support the device for a guaranteed 5yrs. Which will make it 2017 for Gen 1 Surface tablets. The Lumia 2520 came out after the original surface, and will be supported by Microsoft for 5yrs. Which means they will all get any OS updates that Microsoft releases during that time. I don't know why folks are stressing out over this.
Sent from my Samsung ATIV S using Tapatalk.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The Lumia 2520 came out after the original surface, and will be supported by Microsoft for 5yrs. Which means they will all get any OS updates that Microsoft releases during that time.

Please provide a source where MS claims that "support" = "will receive OS updates". Those are two different things!

MS offers long support durations for all their products, but being supported has NEVER meant "MS will provide updates". There are many examples for products that went through long support cycles without ever receiving a single update.

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Please provide a source where MS claims that "support" = "will receive OS updates". Those are two different things!

MS offers long support durations for all their products, but being supported has NEVER meant "MS will provide updates". There are many examples for products that went through long support cycles without ever receiving a single update.

Here's the official communication from Microsoft. Look down to the end of the article.

http://support2.microsoft.com/gp/lifewinfaq#Microsoft-Windows-RT

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
But that only means support, and this is different to upgrades.

Support means being able to phone up and ask a question, maybe get spare parts.

Upgrades to the OS is vastly different, I admit I do expect RT devices to get a version of 10, but would I stake my life on it, no I wouldn't.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
And to the OP, don't worry about the way this thread is developing, I am sure the RT devices will get 10, it would be embarrassing for MS not to do this, and even if they don't they will still do the job they were designed for, BUT until an official announcement is made by MS to say they will get 10, everything else is guesswork.

MS have said all LUMIA phones will get the upgrade to 10, there were also some early comments that suggested RT's will also get it, but not an official announcement.

If you want one go and buy one, but maybe consider your options and also consider price, but they are still nice tablets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos