Group Messaging not working, 8.1 DP & 8.0 phones?

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I have this issue also. Seems we are one big happy family with the 8xt. I haven't combed through the threads but was curious if you get repeated texts in a loop even when people aren't texting you? For instance, I get a text (get media content now) and I periodically get a text from the same sender and can't stop it. Is this part of your symptoms also?

That has happened to my wife's 8XT, not mine...she's running on CDMA only now, until this gets fixed. I still manually switch LTE off/on when I need to get a group message.

Descanso

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
FWIW I just had an online chat with an account rep from HTC @ Live chat - Contact us | HTC United States

It was brief and essentially I was told it's a network problem and to contact the carrier. I may be able to give them one more week but if there's no solution to this problem I will have to do away with this phone. I may just s-can Sprint, HTC and Windows Phone all together.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
FWIW I just had an online chat with an account rep from HTC @ Live chat - Contact us | HTC United States

It was brief and essentially I was told it's a network problem and to contact the carrier. I may be able to give them one more week but if there's no solution to this problem I will have to do away with this phone. I may just s-can Sprint, HTC and Windows Phone all together.

I don't take stock in any 1st Level support info. The official trouble-ticket I have from Sprint (I'm 'sham_wow'), says that its an open ticket with Sprint:

https://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/180590

"SprintCare replied (in response to sham_wow) 1 day ago
sham_wow, According to the notes on that ticket, we are still actively working with HTC on this issue. HTC has yet to confirm the possible release of a corrective firmware. The work around would be to allow the device to remain on CDMA. - Yannick Sprint Social Care"

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
If we knew the internal HTC ticket number a Level 1 tech may/or may not be able to tells us what they've found, but honestly, they'd never tell us even if we knew it...

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I may just s-can Sprint, HTC and Windows Phone all together.

I have been using my 'old' HTC One (m7) and honestly, there's not one reason why I couldn't happily go back to using it as a daily driver. I have an upgrade in my back pocket that I was hoping to use on a much better WP with a good camea (Lumia 1030 perhaps?), but I'll just wait this out for a bit longer.

I much prefer the usability of WP, but on the "Now Network" /s I'm not sure its a viable solution. I'm still holding out hope for a top tier WP on Sprint.

Descanso

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Firstly Dorelse, Happy New Year!

I too have an upgrade on Sprint available as I purchased my 8XT on Ebay. I've been on Sprint since the spring of 2003. Yet every upgrade of the network seems to have unintended consequences. In LA, a few years back, the Wimax 4g upgrade sabotaged indoor reception of 3G......Like you I was hoping to use my upgrade for a Lumia quality phone on Sprint. I may not have the luxury of time for that. As a tax accountant, in the coming weeks, I'm going to be bombarded with client voicemails and texts that I may not actually receive. Obviously that's unacceptable.....I have no doubt this is mostly the fault of Sprint as the HTC Rep told me the other day. But it should also bother us, that this is not happening with the ATIV S. HTC is not without some of the blame here. And if Microsoft needs to get involved here. Particularly if they want WP to be a viable 3rd option in this sector. (As a shareholder of MSFT this is all disconcerting and I have never understood the love for Joe Belifore [sp?] in these forums. He strikes me as a dreadful Manager.)

I hope you keep us posted with your ticket you have at Sprint. And I hope you are the squeaky wheel that gets us all plenty of grease. I just checked the Sprint website and they don't seem to offer the ATIV anymore. I like WP intuitiveness and beauty. I don't know what I'm going to do.

Regards

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, though, the Ativ S Neo lost group messaging for a long time with Samsung's own issues. (I am not defending them.)

I'm very tired of swimming upstream and have been using my One much more lately...I too prefer WP for its intuitive UI, but feel that Lollipop compliant apps will go a long way in Android. (Not that I want back into an ecosystem where Google wants to know everything little thing about my life either.)

I should clarify that yes, I believe that this is 100% Sprint's doing...they obviously made a change to their networks that broke MMS for those of us on the 8XT...which means that HTC's implementation of it was unable to tolerate the change...plenty of blame to go around.

I just loathe the thought of switching...ugh. We'll see what the next few months bring.

For you? Yeah, you need to get to something stable & soon. See what Sprint's Retentions Dept can do for you, reference my ticket number as proof, and see if they can't do something to keep you happy. (Maybe there's a 'free' iPhone 6 or 6+ in your future...)

Descanso

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Haven't tried this yet but I just saw this on the Sprint forums:.... "Phone had the same problem, no picture texts in 4g. Updated to latest windows version, downloaded english language update for cortana, enabled cortana, powered down, removed sim, powered up, go to settings, cellular, sim and click the only selection cdma, go back to home screen, power phone down, re-install sim, power up, settings, cellular, sim and click 4g, test. It worked on this phone. Good luck."

Update: Just tried it on mine and it didn't work. Maybe I didn't update Cortana's language correctly? If anyone else here tries please let me know what you find. -- Descanso

Last edited:

Descanso

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
To make it official I went to Sprint yesterday and a tech asked if this happened after I updated, and(for me) yes it did. "HTC has to push out an update" he said. I knew he was gonna say that. He suggested generally something like this takes a month.

finnius

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
It happened before the update for many and has actually been about a month or more for some. :)
But at least we have the "3g only" solution from users, not Sprint or HTC. :angry:

finnius

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
So, in a follow up to my own post (from last week): After the hard reset my phone was working fine. Except still no Bluetooth connection with car. I was debating not picking up the replacement phone. Then on Sunday I really tried to get my Bluetooth connection to work again. Finally made it work again. About 30 minutes later my first text came in. I got the "ding" notification over car system, but it never read the message. 5 minutes later my phone hard froze up again. Nothing I did would unfreeze it. Same exact behavior. Soft resets would get the phone unlocked for a few seconds until I tried to do something. So Monday morning I went to get my replacement phone. Got my "new" phone and after doing all the upgrades again, it is working fine (shocking for a refurb from Sprint). However, before I try to connect this one via Bluetooth to my car, is anybody else experiencing similar Bluetooth issues? I cant deal with this lock up issue again.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
However, before I try to connect this one via Bluetooth to my car, is anybody else experiencing similar Bluetooth issues? I cant deal with this lock up issue again.

Not my car, but my 8XT will not see any of our Misfit Shine's or Flash's over Bluetooth, where the Android & Apple phones in the house will all see it...and I'm talking about even older phones that I wondered if it would find it. (Galaxy S3, Samsung Transform Ultra)

I'm not 100% sure the BT stack in our phones (or Radio software) is fully vetted...though, my MS Band works and our Bluetooth speaker also works.

I've switched off of my 8XT to my HTC One, and while I still think Android has is application/UI flow issues, its definitely not the old GB either.

If that Asus Zoom comes to Sprint, and Lollipop really fixes some of those UI issues, I might be tempted away...but that's a long way away...I'd still prefer to see Sprint really invest in WP, but I'm guessing everyone is waiting for Win10 to really see if it'll come together like MS is saying.

Good luck!

Jonathan Cable

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Not my car, but my 8XT will not see any of our Misfit Shine's or Flash's over Bluetooth, where the Android & Apple phones in the house will all see it...and I'm talking about even older phones that I wondered if it would find it. (Galaxy S3, Samsung Transform Ultra)

I'm not 100% sure the BT stack in our phones (or Radio software) is fully vetted...though, my MS Band works and our Bluetooth speaker also works.

I've switched off of my 8XT to my HTC One, and while I still think Android has is application/UI flow issues, its definitely not the old GB either.

If that Asus Zoom comes to Sprint, and Lollipop really fixes some of those UI issues, I might be tempted away...but that's a long way away...I'd still prefer to see Sprint really invest in WP, but I'm guessing everyone is waiting for Win10 to really see if it'll come together like MS is saying.

Good luck!

If you want to go Android try Nexus. Nexus is the best way to go. My wife uses Android and I will only get her a Nexus phone. It deos not have the UI problems like a skinned device. The Nexus 6 is a nice choice or a Nexus 5 if you can find one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium