Dev Previewers on Sprint! This is how you go to Sprint 8.1

TonytheEE

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Or at least get the firmware update...Some steps may seem superfluous, but this worked for me.

1. Uninstall and Reinstall Preview for Developers
2. Opt-out of Preview.
3. Hard Reset (I know, but bite the bullet)
4. Reinstall Preview for Developers and Opt-in.
5. Check for updates over Wi-Fi. (It may take up to an hour following the Hard Reset to get the notice)
6. Download updates (you can still use Wi-fi. If your phone reboots, you will pick up where you left off).
7. Install while still opted in. If you opt out, the update will fail.
8. Enjoy the 21-step update!
You should now be at Firmware rev. ver. 3030.00.31005.651
9. Turn on Wi-fi and check for more updates again (MORE?!? Yes.)
10. Download and Install as before. This is for the OS, but I think it also updates your radio. Your about profile should look like this:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/at.../91866d1419194983t-wp_ss_20141221_0001[1].png

You're done! Now go mentor a child and buy American!

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Hmm...that isn't the process I needed to do...the Hard Reset wasn't necessary, my phone saw the update as a normal Dev Preview update...I had a ton of issues getting the upgrade to run fully, but it saw the update before the hard reset no problem.

And...the firmware version did not change from 8.0 to 8.1...I compared my wife's 8.0 8XT phone pre & post update...the Radio OS Ver. is the key...it needs to be at .918 to fix Wi-Fi.

The whole Opt Out/In is unnecessary, hard reset unnecessary...its really just, install the update...verify your Radio OS Version is the 0.40.50.918

You're done.

(If you have issues like I did, some of those may be necessary, but the whole uninstall/reinstall PFD & Opt Out/In was never any part of getting the update if you're running the PFD...just be Opt'd In, check for updates, install...)

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Same. I had been opting in and out of Dev Preview waiting for the update. It came through by itself while I was opted-in. No hard reset or other trickanery necessary.

TonytheEE

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Well, I still had to do it. I had a stupid bug in Xbox music not liking my altering the metatags in my music. Music. Was. Crashing. My phone.

pwrof3

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Still no update :( I've tried everything. Not sure what else to do. Even my low end Lumina 520 updated to 8.1 with Denim.

pwrof3

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
So, you opted back into the Preview for Developers and it still isn't seeing the update?

Correct. I've opted in, opted out, uninstalled, reinstalled, etc. No luck. Stuck on 8.0, which wouldn't be so bad if some of the apps didn't require 8.1 and this phone had larger internal storage.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Well, that sucks. I'd probably open a trouble ticket with Sprint...make the send you a replacement...

Correct. I've opted in, opted out, uninstalled, reinstalled, etc. No luck. Stuck on 8.0, which wouldn't be so bad if some of the apps didn't require 8.1 and this phone had larger internal storage.

pwrof3

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Only problem is, I am on Ting and not Sprint. I think Sprint is blocking updates for MVNOs.
I posted in the Sprint forums for the 8xt about this, so we'll see what happens.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Only problem is, I am on Ting and not Sprint. I think Sprint is blocking updates for MVNOs.
I posted in the Sprint forums for the 8xt about this, so we'll see what happens.

Its possible? However, Sprint doesn't block PFD updates...kind of the whole point of the PFD program...MS could be blocking it at Sprint's request, yes, you might have a point there...

Good luck!

pwrof3

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
If Sprint doesn't block developer preview updates, then it must be an issue on Microsoft's side?
I know the 8.1 was blocked on htc phones for awhile, so maybe something got screwed up in the process?
Others have has luck, so may as well keep trying until Win 10 and new phones.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
If Sprint doesn't block developer preview updates, then it must be an issue on Microsoft's side?
I know the 8.1 was blocked on htc phones for awhile, so maybe something got screwed up in the process?
Others have has luck, so may as well keep trying until Win 10 and new phones.

Sprint doesn't block Dev Preview updates, that's true. Its also true that our 8XT's were blocked from entering the PFD around May. If you were already in, you were good, if not, you could sign up, but it wouldn't find any updates...so you were stuck on 8.0.

My guess, and its only a guess, that you're not 'unblocked' from seeing it...once the 8XT's upgrade to 8.1 finally got on MS's PFD servers (again a guess) we all found it, but only when we were opted in to the PFD.

I'm not really sure where you go from here...somehow, you need to get someone at MS aware that its not finding it...

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Hard to blame her.

Nope, I didn't even argue...you want an iPhone like our kids have? Totally get it...

I'm going to wait and see what the HTC One (M9) brings, or if the ASUS Zenphone Zoom comes to Sprint, while secretly hoping Sprint gives us the One (M9) on either WP or Android...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro