Should I buy a Lumia 2520 now?

oboboy14

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Alright you guys, I've been watching review after review and reading tons of conversations on this forum. I am dedicated to the Microsoft platform, I own a Lumia 1520, use a windows laptop, and am now interested in getting a Lumia 2520. A couple of hang ups for me though...

1. The 16:9 aspect ratio. I was considering getting an Onda v919 3G Air (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mDZ0YdXqnc) because of the 4:3 aspect ratio, the more compact size, and its dual booting option. I would mostly use the Lumia 2520 for media consumption on long trips and at home, potentially using at school when I don't want to take my massive 17" laptop, etc. Is the size at all cumbersome? How does office run on it?

2. It has been out for over a year, and I wonder if support for it will drop, especially because it is RT. Does the 2 GB of RAM and internal storage provide enough space for apps and the like?

If anyone switched from another OS, or different Windows tablet, your experiences and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I love my 2520, but I can't see buying one now. Only reason I got mine months ago was AT&T was selling them $99 with a contract.

Honestly, it seems like a waste above $200. Disposable income is relative, but I personally cant justify buying a tablet over $200 knowing it wont be supported any longer. What makes you want the 2520 over a full Windows tablet around the same price or cheaper? Even a decent used tablet?

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I would pass for a tablet running windows 10. All RT based tablets are pretty much obsolete now, since they're not upgradable to W10. You could check out the Nokia N1 android based tablet as an alternative.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I would get it. With windows 10 the tablet/phone os will be limited to smaller screens. So if you want a full size tablet with instant on and the benefits of the no desktop os then you want the Nokia tablet or surface 2. By the way Microsoft has surface 2 refurbs on their eBay account.

Last edited:

oboboy14

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I love my 2520, but I can't see buying one now. Only reason I got mine months ago was AT&T was selling them $99 with a contract.

Honestly, it seems like a waste above $200. Disposable income is relative, but I personally cant justify buying a tablet over $200 knowing it wont be supported any longer. What makes you want the 2520 over a full Windows tablet around the same price or cheaper? Even a decent used tablet?

Ya know, I think I'm just nostalgic for the Nokia Brand. I like the big battery, that it comes with office, and the aesthetics of it. All the reviews make it look really snappy too. I saw today that Microsoft has ended production, so I wonder if there'll be a big sale on it, but that's basically it.

Jon Hemphill

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I was shocked to see that Microsoft ended the production of the 2520 - not that it ended (and I am a bit saddened by that they did), but that they were still producing them. I had thought the 2520 had fallen by the wayside when Microsoft picked up Nokia.

Kwincy

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I just bought a used on from a seller on eBay, unlocked for GSM for a decent price. I just want a light windows tablet that can run office and has excellent battery life, so the 2520 fits the bill. It's cheaper than a Surface 2 RT and has LTE and you can find plenty of new open stock on eBay for Verizon, AT&T or unlocked for use on AT&T or T-Mobile.

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
I would definitely look into the 2520. I love mine, but what can you say I got the tablet for free(Thanks Nokia). Now my only fault with it is that I can't run Visual Studio on it unless I go for Visual Studio Online but other than that it's what I carry around for my everyday computer needs and I leave my Visual Studio development and my recreational gaming to my MSI GE70 notebook. It has an excellent battery life and then when you add in the Power Keyboard for it the battery life is that much more phenomenal. I use my tablet on the treadmill even to watch classes on Microsoft Virtual Academy and wherever else or listen to music as I workout. Now the downside when compared to the iPad is the built-in camera. I feel that the iPad camera has the camera in the Lumia 2520 outclassed in my opinion. But if I really need a camera I'll pull out my Lumia Icon or one of my 2 Nikon D800's to accomplish what I need. But if you had the Lumia 2520 and the Power Keyboard you could very easily replace any computer that you would carry around for your average everyday computing needs(email, internet surfing, etc.). Hope you enjoy your M8 and Welcome to WP Central!
CodeGunnerDevelopment

oboboy14

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I would definitely look into the 2520. I love mine, but what can you say I got the tablet for free(Thanks Nokia). Now my only fault with it is that I can't run Visual Studio on it unless I go for Visual Studio Online but other than that it's what I carry around for my everyday computer needs and I leave my Visual Studio development and my recreational gaming to my MSI GE70 notebook. It has an excellent battery life and then when you add in the Power Keyboard for it the battery life is that much more phenomenal. I use my tablet on the treadmill even to watch classes on Microsoft Virtual Academy and wherever else or listen to music as I workout. Now the downside when compared to the iPad is the built-in camera. I feel that the iPad camera has the camera in the Lumia 2520 outclassed in my opinion. But if I really need a camera I'll pull out my Lumia Icon or one of my 2 Nikon D800's to accomplish what I need. But if you had the Lumia 2520 and the Power Keyboard you could very easily replace any computer that you would carry around for your average everyday computing needs(email, internet surfing, etc.). Hope you enjoy your M8 and Welcome to WP Central!
CodeGunnerDevelopment

Can the 2520 connect to a wireless display? I have the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter, and would love to use it on my TV.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs