Is the Nokia Lumia 2520 still worth it?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
It's indeed a RT and will not be upgradable to windows 10. It may get some updates however.
This is probably the reason it has the price drop.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-WT1...ag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2971137

Hi. I wrote quite a long post weighing the benefits of RT over x86 tablets, but after doing some research I found out that, what was true six months ago is no longer the case.

I can no longer under any circumstances recommend you buy the Nokia tablet, when x86 tablets like the Toshiba Encore 2 offer everything an RT tablet does and run x86 apps as well.

secher

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft just halted production of it, and it's probably better to buy something with full W8.1 on it, so you can upgrade it when Windows 10 comes out...

upsidedown

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I was a huge fan of my 2520, but last week it broke and while Microsoft / Nokia is in process of fixing I picked up a Winbook 801 for $65 open box. While I miss the 10" gorgeous screen, this full Windows tablet works great. And at the last minute I needed to run a legacy app which I could not have done on my RT device. I will not be going back, and instead start to look for a good 10" device.

Steb0ne

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
I love the tablet itself... But I'm having problems with the physical buttons not working (windows key, volume and power buttons)... The windows key vibrates when pressed so I know it's registering being pressed... As does the power button if pressed and help reboots it...seems like something driver related after an update it stopped working. I got mine for $200 refurbished on eBay but not too happy with the lack of support.

oboboy14

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I bought one in lieu of a chinese dual-boot tablet, and I am very pleased with mine. I mainly bought it over something else that was running full windows because the 2520 came with full office for free which I use daily as a student. I wish it could run legacy apps and the like, but I paid $200 USD for it, including the official nokia type cover. But...I think everyone else have very strong arguments. No one is quite sure what kind of update RT devices will receive for Windows 10, and if you don't rely on office that much, or can afford to purchase it again, then going for something else is probably the best bet.

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Bought mine brand new from Microsoft Store 6 months ago for $400 with the type cover (both red)...I have to say, it is now my daily driver, and I barely use my desktop (except for serious gaming, which I would not do on any tablet/laptop anyway). It has the best looking design I have seen on a tablet, and catchy red color (though a kickstand would be nice). I think if you can find it with a keyboard for $300, buy it. I use the keyboard daily, so it has essentially replaced my laptop. Without the keyboard I am honestly not sure if I would make the purchase.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Not for what Verizon or AT&T charge for it directly. For the 200-300 dollar range, probably, provided that you absolutely NEED 4G LTE in your Windows Tablet. Otherwise, probably best to choose something like the Lenovo Yoga 2 Tablet or something similar.

webkrawler

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I disagree with Dathbobcat --

Right now..or as of this weekend..on Ebay. Microsoft store is (was) selling NEW 2520's for $199 while supplies last. I bought one last week and am using it now.

There are advantages to the 2520 -

First, it has one of the BRIGHTEST 10" tablet screens ever produced. And it's very sharp.

Second, you don't have to worry about VIRUS's.

And, it's very thin and fun to use. NO..it will not replace your desktop PC or even your laptop..it's not meant to. It's a tablet. It's fun and easy to use.

Last edited:

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
I disagree with Dathbobcat --

Right now..or as of this weekend..on Ebay. Microsoft store is (was) selling NEW 2520's for $199 while supplies last. I bought one last week and am using it now.

There are advantages to the 2520 -

First, it has one of the BRIGHTET 10" tablet screens ever produced. And it's very sharp.

Second, you don't have to worry about VIRUS's.

And, it's very thin and fun to use. NO..it will not replace your desktop PC or even your laptop..it's not meant to. It's a tablet. It's fun and easy to use.

I agree. Cheap full-Windows small tablets will never replace your desktop or laptop, and often are underpowered. Most people never run their desktop apps on them anyway. Add the low quality screen, not-so-great battery life, and Lumia 2520 RT has an advantage here. If you can get the keyboard attachment and tablet for $300/$350 it is definitely still worth buying one. Had mine for a few months, it has been excellent. Only complaint? Some minor rendering issues on several websites, but mostly flawless performance. Excellent design and build quality, both the tablet and the keyboard dock.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Mostly I'm concerned about it not being future proof in the long run. For today, perfectly good, nay, great tablet that gets the job done well. When it doesn't get all of the Windows 10 features, you may find yourself with some buyer's remorse, especially if your carrier gets something nice in that department.

Madeye234

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
If future proof is the strong driver for your purchase then I wouldn't recommend it if you want Windows 10. However, for the price at 199, I would absolutely for it for my basic uses and for Office applications. Its still has the best screen resolutions at that size, the fast charge is nice to have on the go, RT while becoming obsolete still serves me while being resistant to viruses out there. Web browsing is great on it, getting mail and using the MS cloud serves perform perfectly. I use the tablet as my daily driver as it serves what I need but you may have different use case.

Forgot to mention, its awesome when I need 4G on the go without searching for a wifi spot, like long trips in the car and your family member wants to watch Netflix.

upsidedown

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I am going to retract my earlier statement. Now that my 2520 is back and working, it is hard to argue with the form factor and gorgeous screen. For now, I have hung up my 8" Winbook.

I was a huge fan of my 2520, but last week it broke and while Microsoft / Nokia is in process of fixing I picked up a Winbook 801 for $65 open box. While I miss the 10" gorgeous screen, this full Windows tablet works great. And at the last minute I needed to run a legacy app which I could not have done on my RT device. I will not be going back, and instead start to look for a good 10" device.

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
I am going to retract my earlier statement. Now that my 2520 is back and working, it is hard to argue with the form factor and gorgeous screen. For now, I have hung up my 8" Winbook.

The Nokia hardware just feels...PREMIUM. It would take $500+ to get the same premium feel on a different tablet. To be fair, that is what the Lumia 2520 cost was when it was released. The screen is still one of the best tablet screens I have seen. The OEM keyboard attachment is also excellent. Now we just need to be able to run Win10 apps...

captblaze

Jul 31, 2007
Visit site
I owned a 2520 when they were first released and promptly returned it, but recently bought a NIB unit for $199.99 US (ebay). slapped a screen protector on it put it in an incipio Watson folio case and now it has supplanted my NVidia shield tab as my travel tablet of choice.

webkrawler

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Very good deals to be had right now on Ebay.

I picked up mine from the Microsoft Store (through their Ebay store) for $199.00 Brand New In The Box.

Others are selling new or refurbs for as low as $169.00.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo