post windows 10 successor to lumia 822

gbafam

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm very happy with the verizon rollout of windows 8.1 and I find the form and usability of the lumia 822 to be just about ideal. I've seen elsewhere that microsoft is planning additional phones post windows 10 and I'm wondering what speculation or rumors might be out there about a possible successor to the lumia 822. One of my concerns is that everyone seems to think bigger is better; I find with my surface and desktop, I don't need to do fancy word processing on my phone, but I do need it for everyday tasks (email etc). I'm willing to tolerate a little larger size, but all of this is dependent on Verizon as well. It was disturbing to see Verizon drop the Icon without any announcement about why, and thus the relationship between verizon and MS seems problematic.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
We don't know about future plans, since they're naturally under wraps, but the current 735 and 830 fit best as the current generations counterparts to the Lumia 820 and it's variants including the 822.

but whether any will appear on version anytime soon is anyone's guess.

gbafam

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Good point about the 830. Similar form factor to the successful 822, so you'd think Verizon would be interested in some version of the 830.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Verizon is adamant about pushing stable updates to their customers.

It would be quite backwards to release an update that omits problematic features for the sake of a quick update... If Verizon is guilty of anything it would be their monthly rates. Easy to forgive as their service is hard to compete with ;)

gbafam

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree and am not in the "bash verizon" camp for delays in rollouts. I do worry about verizon's commitment to the windows phone platform.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I for one was not happy with Verizon's handling of previous updates (including poor Android updating) but was pleasantly surprised by how quickly they got the 8.1 update out. I was already running the Developer Preview so it wasn't a huge deal, but still, they handled it pretty well.

Verizon does indeed seem to have a commitment issue with WP as they have only one option at the moment. The other carriers aren't too much better but at least have a few different choices.

I just picked up an 830 and I am very happy with it so far. I had to change to AT&T but my testing with a 520 GoPhone showed me that at least where I live AT&T is just as good coverage wise and their network seems fairly quick. I realize that changing carriers isn't always an option for a lot of people for a variety of reasons, but it works for me. The 830 seems like a solid device so far (I've only had it a couple of days).

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Having used both, AT&T is only a problem outside of major population centers. Driving through the desert, or along low population centers of Montana, is where AT&T struggles.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb