Stuck in Emergency Download Mode; How do i recover it?

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
As we all know, the Windows 10 Technical Preview is available, and now supports a wide range of devices. As such, I thought it would be nice to try installing it on my Lumia 521. However, things did not go smoothly. Even after numerous factory resets, the Windows Insider app failed to run, crashing upon checking for new preview builds. I did a little searching, and other people who had this issue said that resetting their device through the Windows Phone Recovery Tool, provided by Microsoft (and essentially a rebranded version of NSU). So I downloaded the firmware files and proceeded to reset my phone.

However, during the flashing process, the phone just "went". Screen is black, and WPRT reports that the recovery failed. I tried rebooting the phone, but to no avail; No matter how many times I held the power and volume down keys, no matter how many times I reinserted the battery, it just would not respond. I didn't even get so much as a vibrate indicating life. But I wasn't going to give up. Curious as if it might be on but non-responsive, I opened device manager, and low and behold "QHUSB_DLOAD" was listed, that being my 521. However, there were no drivers installed. After hours upon hours of searching, and an install of the Nokia Care Suite, the "Nokia Emergency" drivers were installed.

Problem? Nokia Care Suite does not support flashing in emergency mode, nor does NSU or WPRT. I attempted the method listed numerous other places and here for flashing a "bricked"/dead device (power+volume down, vibrate then volume up), but it never vibrated, or gave any indication of rebooting, nor did my PC detect any disconnection from the device.

BUT, WPRT has the answer, or at least a way to it: Windows Phone Recovery Tool uses a program called the Thor2 flasher, which does have the ability to flash devices in emergency mode. What is the problem, you may ask? Thor2 requires an emergency download configuration file in xml format (examples: "8974_emergency_config.xml", "emergency_config.xml"), an emergency flash hex file (example: "FAST8960.hex"), or a '.mbn' and '.ed' file (examples: "MPRG8974_fh_v1_0.mbn", "RM937_1025.0001.1.1.ed") in order to do an emergency flash. As all of these files are not included in the firmware downloads by NCS, NSU, and WPRT, I currently cannot use Thor2 for re-flashing the firmware while in emergency mode.

So to make a long story short, I am unable to leave emergency mode, and so tools like NSU, WPRT, and NCS are of no use to me, and the Thor2 flasher bundled with WPRT contains a method to re-flash my device in it's current state, but as I lack the required emergency configuration files and/or hex files and have had no luck in tracking them down, I currently cannot use Thor2 as well.

The question is, do any of you know of a way to get my device running again? Any knowledge of where to find the emergency configuration file or how to create one (as it's in xml format after all)? Any way to use NSU in emergency mode?

PS: Thor2 confirms that the device cannot reboot nor leave emergency mode as attempts to flash the device in uefiflash mode returns the error that the device bootloader failed to respond and returned the incorrect mode (emergency mode, rather than uefi flash mode)

Fernando Lima

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Have you had success in solving your problem? this your case, it may be a hardware problem. from what I understand , you said it flashe the emergency mode, but then back to the emergency mode and not switch to UEFI mode , right? In this case, if you have the correct files that you mentioned , maybe you succeed in restoring its lumia , but this error is usually corrupted memory problem.
I have a lumia 925 in the same situation and so far not got success in restoring it , but I believe with the ED and MBN files I could flash with thor2. I worked in the old nokia for five years until last month,
I had access to these files and we have restored much devices in this way , emergency flash, I'll try to get these files and anything I post to you guys

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs