How to encode good quality videos for Lumia 610?

Ashish Khanal

May 9, 2015
Visit site
I can't seem to discover the best encoding settings in Handbrake for my Windows Phone 7.5 device. Please help me with this. Please list all the settings.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
re:

Please list for us the factors that make a video "good". If that includes "high resolution", then there would be no way to achieve this through the Lumia 610 (since the phone is limited to 480p video resolution). You may attempt to encode the video in a higher resolution, but the video would look exactly the same.

Welcome to Windows Central.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

If you're talking about putting videos ON the phone, it's all about the balance between storage space and quality.

Video width of 800 pixels for sure.
Probably can get away with a preset for the iPhone 3G or 4 though.

Ashish Khanal

May 9, 2015
Visit site
re:

Sorry that I didn't mention the resolution earlier. I'm also not aware that the phone supports 480p videos. In that case, please tell me the Handbrake settings to encode 480p resolution video in Lumia 610.
If you have time, please explain what the individual settings for "Picture", "Filters", "Video", "Audio", and "Advanced" should be.
Thank you for you time.
Have a nice day

Last edited:

Ashish Khanal

May 9, 2015
Visit site
re:

Thank You good people for your answer. I have few more questions and hopefully, I'd get answers from you. (I use Handbrake for encoding videos)
1. Would you please tell me what is the video resolution that Lumia 610 is made for.
Is it 640*480 that I should be entering while encoding videos?
2. What is the video codec for it? h264, MPEG-4 or MPEG-2?
3. What should be the framerate? Constant framerate or Variable framerate?
4. What should be the average bitrate for Lumia 610?
5. What should be the value for reference frames, max. B frames and all those settings found in Advanced tab?

Thank You for your time.
Have a nice day

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
re:

According to the official specifications of the Lumia 610:

1. The screen resolution is WVGA (800 x 480). Hence, it would be "best" to encode your videos in a resolution that is exact to at least one of these dimensions (most probably exactly 480 pixels in height and then either 800 or 640 pixels in width depending on the aspect ratio of the video) - this is assuming that you will be watching the videos in landscape mode.

2. Supported video codecs are H.263, H.264/AVC, MPEG-4, VC-1. MPEG-4 seems to be more reliable.

3. Supported frame rate is up to 30 fps, but most videos don't go any higher than this. "Same as source" should be used as much as possible, but if you want to conserve space, you should go for 24 fps or lower until you notice the frames.

4. Leave the bitrate at default values - the quality of the sound, frame rate, color depth and resolution should automatically take care of this. Just set the quality instead of the bitrate.

5. I wasn't able to find these options in my version of Handbrake. What version are you using? However, I would leave those values at default.

Constant frame rate might lead to higher file sizes but could be more stable.

Generally, your phone should be able to play any video file as along as the file format is recognized (check the specifications) and the file is not greater than 4GB in size.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers