How can I run Windows 10 on my Lumia 2520?

fishsniffer2

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Nokia lumia Icon (930) and the Nokia lumia 2520 tablet has the same snapdragon 800 processor and pretty much all tha same specs, so If the Icon (930) will get the Windows 10 mobile update, why can't the 2520 get the same update and run windows 10 mobile? Can someone look at the specs and answer in detail why this cannot be accomplished? thanks!

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Due to the malleability of software, you can always get software to run on any hardware. It's never impossible. It's only ever a question of how well it will run and the investment required to achieve the capability. That's why yours is not a reasonable question. The better question is how much it would cost MS, in terms of development and support costs, in comparison to what MS can expect to gain by doing so. That's where theefman's answer comes in. The potential gain (number of users who would appreciate it and the extent to which MS' goals are served) is not worth the required effort, so MS doesn't want to.

By bringing W10M to RT devices MS would also be setting themselves up for a lot of complaints, because they can't install W10M on a WRT tablet without loosing many features. Amongst those features are the pre-installed desktop applications, all of the tablet focused gestures that WRT owners have become accustomed to, and most importantly, the full version of Office that would have to be replaced with the functionally inferior Mobile Office. Considering Office was a core part of the value proposition of Windows RT, having an OS upgrade lead to a downgrade of that core feature is probably a very bad idea.

That's why I think, while technically not impossible, "upgrading" RT tablets to W10M was never a valid option.

Last edited:

Evil_MrM

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I think Microsoft missed an opportunity here to make Surface 1 & 2, and Nokia 2520 users happy. All they really needed to do is port Windows 10 Mobile to these devices. Since they all use the same ARM chips as the phones, I can't imagine it would be too difficult. I would have paid for the privilege of keeping my 2520 tablet current. Unfortunately, Microsoft deems that phablets and phones over 7 inches use the x86 version of Windows 10...sigh.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Na, the user base of the three devices aren't that great to warrant to keep the failed OS going. Just the cold, heard truth.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintchip