Is there ANY way to get the Huawei Ascend w1 h883g to update to Windows 10 or even 8.1??

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Is there ANY way to get the huawei ascend w1 h883g to update to windows 10 or even 8.1!!??

my nephew recently acquired this model windows phone and wants to see about updating it, but it appears as though its not possible?? Huawei support for device is non existent....

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Is there ANY way to get the huawei ascend w1 h883g to update to windows 10 or even 8.1!!??

wow that is an old phone :p 512mb phones aren't officially getting w10m

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Diesel3104

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Re: Is there ANY way to get the huawei ascend w1 h883g to update to windows 10 or even 8.1!!??

:p ikr he got it from a friend and is convinced the update can be done (he's 10) I told him I'd look into it for him.. Is it at all possible to update it at all??

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

:p ikr he got it from a friend and is convinced the update can be done (he's 10) I told him I'd look into it for him.. Is it at all possible to update it at all??

He's a tech enthusiast at that age? great kid :evil:

I checked the specs and I see that it's a wp8 phone, which should be upgrade-able to 8.1. From there, go through all the mandatory updates. If you want the phone on 10, it should first have the Cyan update. If you aren't getting the update normally, I would suggest downloading the preview for developers app and using that to download the cyan update. After that's been done, look for the windows insider app and select the production ring so you can get to the latest (safest) build..

Idk if all of this will work on your phone, but I guess it's worth a shot

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

After that's been done, look for the windows insider app and select the production ring so you can get to the latest (safest) build.

ok I'll give it a shot thank you for the insight!!

Release ring... There is no W10M Production for the Ascend.

Release would get him the current, stable build of 10586.164 which is the Threshold final version (matches PC not on Insider). After getting Release, then take it to the Production ring which effectively un-enrolls the device from Insider.

Production does not show in Insider until after you enter and accept update from a higher ring. When looking at Insider, the ring Options are showing most experimental to most stable.

Fast
Slow
Release
Production

I'd even go so far as getting Release, going Production (to un-enroll) and then resetting the device. The reset helps the build "settle in" and then remove Insider if it downloads again. No sense really in letting his curiosity lead him into downloading higher rings. Likely 10586.164 is the best version for the Ascend to stay at.

Good luck.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for clarifying RumoredNow :D Actually didn't know the production bit :/

Diesel3104

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site

Ok so I tried the preview for developers app, but it says that the phone still needs an update before I can do anything else...I then went to the settings/check for phone update and it says that the phone is up to date??

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

Can we get a screenshot of that message? My memory of dev preview is kind of fuzzy :p seems like forever ago. Would also help if you can provide your OS version (settings > about) and the header (title - written in big letters) within your extras & info app

Edit: do not post a screenshot with IMEI info

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss