Can I re-insall os using Windows device recovery without going for a fresh download every time?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

can i reinsall os using windows device recovery without going for a fresh download everytime?

Hey..had earlier used windows device recovery tool to reinstall the firmware and os in my lumia 625..recently my phone developed some booting issues..i am about reinstall the os..but everytime i use windows device recovery tool, it prompts me to go for a fresh download of about 2gb..please let me know if there is any other method by which i can reinstall the os using the earlier downloaded file...urgent!!

W

Windows Central Question

can i reinstall os using windows device recovery tool without going for a fresh download everytime?

Hey..had earlier used windows device recovery tool to reinstall the firmware and os in my lumia 625..recently my phone developed some booting issues..i am about reinstall the os..but everytime i use windows device recovery tool, it prompts me to go for a fresh download of about 2gb..please let me know if there is any other method by which i can reinstall the os using the earlier downloaded file...urgent!!

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: can i reinstall os using windows device recovery tool without going for a fresh download everyti

Ultra-easy: go to Settings-> Restore -> Restore my phone. It will be install last downloaded build. voil?. No pc needed, only the charger

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: can i reinsall os using windows device recovery without going for a fresh download everytime?

When you open the application, click on the three dots -> Settings -> Packages and choose a custom directory. That should work, if you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Re: can i reinsall os using windows device recovery without going for a fresh download everytime?

When you open the application, click on the three dots -> Settings -> Packages and choose a custom directory. That should work, if you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

I found this thread today while searching .I am not the OP.
I had used the WDRT two days ago and the downloaded file had been saved to this C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Packages\Products as RM-1090.
When I go to choose a custom directory from My Computer >C:\ it does not show ProgramData as one of the options.It shows all others -Program Files,Program Files(X86),Users,Perflogs,Windows etc.
So how do I choose the Custom directory ?
Thanks !

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

I found this thread today while searching .I am not the OP.
I had used the WDRT two days ago and the downloaded file had been saved to this C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Packages\Products as RM-1090.
When I go to choose a custom directory from My Computer >C:\ it does not show ProgramData as one of the options.It shows all others -Program Files,Program Files(X86),Users,Perflogs,Windows etc.
So how do I choose the Custom directory ?
Thanks !

The program data directory is a hidden directory, you will need to enable show hidden files/folders under folder options. File -> Change folder and search options -> view tab -> select show hidden files and folders (you may need to scroll down).

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site

The program data directory is a hidden directory, you will need to enable show hidden files/folders under folder options. File -> Change folder and search options -> view tab -> select show hidden files and folders (you may need to scroll down).

Thanks for your quick reply .
I have 'hidden' files enabled in my File Explorer.But I did not know that WDRT does not show hidden files in creating Custom Directory .So should I cut the downloaded files from Program Data and paste them to a new folder and make the new folder my Custom Directory ? Will there be any problem if I use this custom directory the next time I use WDRT ? Will it directly go to installing the package on my phone ?
Thanks !

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site

Also,is a hard reset required after the entire process ,i.e, WDRT to roll back to 8.1 then upgrade to W10 & then AU and lastly a hard reset ?
Thanks !

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for your quick reply .
I have 'hidden' files enabled in my File Explorer.But I did not know that WDRT does not show hidden files in creating Custom Directory .So should I cut the downloaded files from Program Data and paste them to a new folder and make the new folder my Custom Directory ? Will there be any problem if I use this custom directory the next time I use WDRT ? Will it directly go to installing the package on my phone ?
Thanks !

There shouldn't be any issues, how ever your mileage may vary.

It should auto detect and begin installing as normal.

Also,is a hard reset required after the entire process ,i.e, WDRT to roll back to 8.1 then upgrade to W10 & then AU and lastly a hard reset ?
Thanks !

Not really, however some say it has helped soo your again ymmv.

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site

There shouldn't be any issues, how ever your mileage may vary.

It should auto detect and begin installing as normal.

Not really, however some say it has helped soo your again ymmv.

Thank you very much.:smile:
So the next time I need the WDRT the procedure will be simpler and less time consuming.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)