Anyone having troubles with Lumia 900?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Is there anyone having trouble adding accounts, syncing, retrieving voice messages, downloading apps with the Nokia Lumia 900 (older version 7 OS)? I am getting pretty frustrated. I used to have to continuously reset the phone. Just of late, even resetting the phone does no good.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Is there anyone having trouble adding accounts, syncing, retrieving voice messages, downloading apps with the Nokia Lumia 900 (older version 7 OS)? I am getting pretty frustrated. I used to have to continuously reset the phone. Just of late, even resetting the phone does no good.

it might be time to get a new device as the older ones are slowly losing service and support

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not that old. I don't really want to get a new device. I too suspect that problems stemming from lack of OS support.

Well let's be honest, the longest support smartphone in recent history, the iPhone 4S is being dropped this fall. It came out the same year as the 900. 2011. Your 900 is somewhere around 5 years old, assuming you bought around launch.

Phones from then are almost archaic by most standards. My 2010 Palm Pre 2 needs patches to continue working somewhat smoothly with services. The Galaxy Nexus is long gone, etc.

Before making a decision I would try to see if other Windows Phone 7 devices are facing similar problems. If so, it can't be helped. If not, you may try hard resetting the phone or looking into replacement.

macdaddy31

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
I guess I think differently. If you are going to sell an expensive device to someone that requires support on the seller's end, it ought to be supported for a reasonable length of time or, at least, rebates provided towards the purchase of new supported device; and five years if you purchased when it first came out (I have probably had four years) is, IMO, not reasonable. We (but not me) in the phone/computer world have apparently generally accepted this lack of support after minimal years from release, but it is only because most are in love with upgrading to the latest/greatest bell or whistle and are not interested in fighting this established norm or simply can't fight it, regardless. I could not care less about bells and whistles. The lack of support is to force others to upgrade/churn and shift internal resources to current and future operating systems. These sellers are getting mega rich on the backs of us schmucky consumers since most don't care or are too complacent to fight it. That is my political statement for the day. I refuse to acquiesce to the corporate heavy handedness.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nice soapbox.

Now here's what can happen.

TL;DR:
1) It just works. iPhone.
2) "I don't mind putting in some research and the community is more reliable!" Android phone that meets requirements.
3) Windows Phone is unproven with Windows 10 Mobile. WP7 and WP8.1 breaks leave bitter taste.
4) Used phone.
5) Reduce expectations and live with an older phone as-is.
6) Go dumb.

iPhones are supported the longest in general with now, a five year expectancy. It think five years is reasonable personally and this is the gold standard. Physical repairability for these generally is on the poorer side but parts are abundant.

In Android land support ranges from nonexistent to the Nexus phones which standardized on two years of guaranteed feature updates IIRC (unacceptable to me) with an extra year of security updates. (I say guaranteed because Google can and does release some updates beyond that two year thing but doesn't guarantee it.) Most manufacturers aren't as fast and consistent for as long but luckily...

On the other hand, many Android phones, depending on the model, popularity, etc. have an active custom ROM scene which can extend the useful life and add features for a pretty darn long time. This may be your best bet at staying somewhat up-to-date for over five years.

Even if ROMs somehow all stop you'll still have Google Play Services updates and stuff to stand on for a bit. (Since Android updates are often iffy across manufacturers, Google tries to keep older versions in the loop for a bit.)
In this case, the phone's inherent hardware like RAM will likely become the limiting factor which is probably more your taste.

Physical repairability varies here, with some phones like the Nexus 5 being easy to repair and some being relative nightmares. (cough Galaxy S 6 and its sandwich of glue cough) So that may be a factor too. Check out iFixit and it's repair scores.

You can get a used phone too. Great choice if you're worried about lining someone evil exec's pockets. Helps keep yours lined too.

You can curb expectations.
I made an aforementioned Pre 2 with webOS my daily driver for a bit last year and it technically worked fine for the basics. Just not the advanced smartphone services and stuff that's come out since.
It has no voice assistant or apps like Uber and Snapchat, but it still works and met my needs. I didn't NEED the extra modern bells-and-whistles, they're just nice to have.

We have more access under-the-hood than WP7 and can fix sync behavior and stuff if necessary. But the web browser is still meh at best, etc.

On the extreme end we have a Treo 650. The model itself is just over a decade old and it is prehistoric. It would not have been practical to keep this up-to-date for 5 years, let alone 10 because hardware. (why I hold 5 years today as more reasonable) I think we've hit the point of phone spec requirements leveling out a year or two after the 900 launched actually. (making 5 year support more practical)

I can do texts on that Treo but MMS is iffy. Phone calls and the basic PIM and apps work, but only 2G connectivity. Email? Nope that's broken. Palm OS was discontinued 4-5 years after this launched and Palm has since dissolved a couple years after that. Much closer to a feature phone today.

Also might want to poke your head into XDA's WP7 section. There may be some hacks and stuff you can use a la webOS and Android since some people did get under the hood of WP7.

And when you say reset, I'm going to assume erasing the phone and not suggest that.

Last edited:

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Using Windows Phone takes a special kind of self loathing that many can't appreciate... I would however recommend getting a 640 or 650 and just be up to date.

These sellers are getting mega rich on the backs of us schmucky consumers since most don't care or are too complacent to fight it.

Yeah those greedy Nokia jerks really ran to the bank laughing with all those Lumia sales..

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss