The 'Spring into TEGRA' Contest: Win a Tegra-powered Windows 8 RT Tablet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

miki20021

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
WP_20130221_007.jpg

Just got honorably discharged from 3 years of mandatory service in the navy, with a salary of just under 100$ a month, and about to start engineer school, with almost no money.
I NEED a tablet to take to school, my netbook dont last more than 2 hrs because it's so old! :(

davidsalazar

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
2013-02-21_11-52-26_848.jpg

Ok I know... I'm not the best looking guy, whatever. Nor so my laptop... It has a cracked screen!!! and sometimes it simply turns off, the worst, I bought Windows 8 Pro a few months ago, so now I'm clueless on what to do when it's going crazy, so... a Surface RT would help me mean while I save some bucks to also buy a Surface Pro, I gotta have some love, pleeeease...

Oh, and back there... that's my daughter's Motorola XOOM, so... I don't have a tablet of my own!!! Even my wife got a Nexus 7 for XMas...

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Broke college kid here, being the only one here without a mac is... well it's awesome. Sadly, my awesomeness is limited by the fact that my laptop is falling apart. As you may be able to see, I have had to extend the wire from the battery dock out of the side of the machine making a long external charging port. This is complemented by a half-roll of electric tape and despite this, I still have to wrap the cord around the laptop screen, whisper sweet nothings in it's ear, and summon the dark lord Cthulu to make it charge (he's also great at braiding my flowing mane of hair) All of this and it also overheats due to the fact that the cord got in the way when the charger was messing up and broke off all but 1 fan blade. I actually have to hang this off the edge of the desk for it not to overheat. I could really use one of these tablets because Cthulu has been gnawing on my left arm (not pictured for a reason) and I'm running out of limbs to appease him.

AK0hDGi.jpeg

Calot

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello, all:

This is my Zelda 3DS. It is the closest thing I have to a tablet.

Dare I say more?

The picture itself is enough explanation why I need a beautiful tablet with Windows.

Thank you

Cheers

Calot

Attachments

• Photo on 2-21-13 at 2.44 PM.jpg
    Photo on 2-21-13 at 2.44 PM.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 7

clbarker10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I desperately need a windows surface tablet...

WP_20130221_005.jpg

I just got the awesome limelight HTC 8x from AT&T but unfortunately my budget stops there. I could say that I dont own a laptop but I'm going to be straight. I do own one, but it drives me CRAZY.

I got my cheap HP netbook at Sams Club 3 years ago right after I came home from overseas in the Navy. It was the display model and the only one they had left but I was desperate. It came with windows 7 starter (everyone knows how much of a pain that is). I wanted to get rid of that OS as soon as possible so I went ahead and installed windows 8 consumer preview. I was happy with the OS...I praised it even though It was (and still is) very functionally limited on that device. Let me explain, my netbook cannot support the apps due to a low resolution so I have to connect my netbook to a monitor to use any startscreen apps. I can't even watch Hulu on the thing because it is so slow and constantly has issues with video. I had to do a factory reset at one point to try and fix some issues and that resulted in my registration code not working...so then I am stuck with limited options in settings. The camera does not work. And my biggest issue of all is the fact that my netbook now does not recognize the WIFI adapter and I cannot install a driver for it...so I'm stuck without wireless on a netbook...So many issues yet I still enjoy using windows 8 and the interface and would just once like to have a solid laptop with a solid windows 8 OS installed on it. When I was in the store getting my HTC 8x this week I notice the surface tablet and for the first time I was able to try it out. It blew my mind, that tablet is AMAZING in every way.

I need this not only because I love technology and windows, mostly because i'm going to school in March for computer networking and security and I don't have money for supplies. I need a good solid tablet to help me train in such a demanding IT field. I've honestly never won a contest in my life and here's hoping that karma finally catches up to me and ends my technical nightmare! Please consider me, Thank you for your generosity.

BTW. I would take my sisters cheap android tablet from her...but the thing overheats so much that it stalls and shuts itself down constantly but thats what you get with a cheap off-brand budget tablet right?

Well, SOMEONE thinks that it was a good buy...I mean, my pet bearded dragon doesn't seem to have an issue with it overheating...go figure.

SavedPicture.jpg

Last edited:

stevercpa

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm embarassed to show my little Dell Netbook. It was special when I got it, but I'd rather use my phone now. Please bring me back to using current decade technology.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 243

binnym

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
tab.jpg
I have played with many tabs and currently own a Nook (which was a gift). This is one of the worst tabs out there. Been a Windows Fan all my life so have waited patiently for a Windows Tab. Now that Windows RT is here I would love to get one and say bye to my 3 old HP laptop...........

Thanks

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
My Asus EP121 was great until about 2 weeks after the warranty expired. Now the screen has some weird problem, depending on what the image in the background is, pixels either appear as dead red pixels or flickering green and blue pixels. Very embarrassing to use anymore :(

As you can see, it may not be around much longer, and the doctors are recommending that we pull the plug soon. All we can do is keep it comfortable (that's why we have it in a snuggy) while the video ram continues to corrupt.

Attachments

• Dying_Slate.jpg
    Dying_Slate.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Jheider Ardila

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
a8a399d4-a66e-4c97-aad5-46c391811625.jpg

Here with my old VAIO N PC, (7 years!) still with Windows Vista, and a dead battery (only wired working), not good for mobility in college with his 6.8 pounds.

I never own a tablet before, and I think this will be the best for my studies.

My principal need, is a device with great battery life, great mobility, and with office suite for all my works at the university.

(that Surface RT will be the best thing that can happen to me).

dratpt

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
WP_20130221_010.jpg

This is my work tablet.... a state-of-the-art Fujitsu Stylistic ST4000. While this tablet was a high-priced wonder when it was purchased, I didn't have the luxury of using it in its hey-day. Instead, I have used it for the last two years... permanently attached to its base. Removal from the base shuts this tablet down immediately, so I suppose it has lived long enough to morph from tablet to a snail of a desktop PC. The network card does not work, so updating this beauty requires a USB drive. Indeed, I'm fortunate enough for it to still turn on, however, calling any time spent on this tablet "efficient work" would be sorely incorrect. It's extremely unfortunate this contest does not require a sound clip; the sound of this tablet is reminiscent of carpet bombing.
A Windows 8 RT tablet would not only improve my efficiency at work (and graduate school work), but would drastically improve my livelihood. Help me put grandfather Fujitsu to rest. He's dreadfully cranky.

DA

crossoldier

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I absolutely NEED a new Surface or ASUS Vivo Tablet, because I will be attending college this year and will need a way to access the internet to complete assignments, etc...other than using my phone. Attached picture of my Droid Bionic, since I don't have a tablet or netbook, hopefully this won't disqualify my entry (= Thank you for the contest!!! Good luck everyone! Crossoldier 2/21/13

Attachments

• 2-21-2013 Crossoldier_WPC Contest.jpg
    2-21-2013 Crossoldier_WPC Contest.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 230

Rod Hammond

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
This is my 2005, Toshiba Qosmio G15. It survived a tour in Iraq, but now, this XP stronghold only lasts about 30 seconds once unplugged. It has vertical lines that will not go away and speakers that only sound decent if I remove all low frequencies. Before the warranty ran out I sent it in for repair about 5 times over the course of three years. Needless to say, it can't travel from the bedroom to the kitchen without its power cord and the Centrino processor makes doing anything, even searching the web, very painful to endure. I use my windows phone when traveling to job interviews, because I do not have a travel laptop to help with last minute research, tracking, or prep work.

Thanks

Attachments

• WP_20130221_002.jpg
    WP_20130221_002.jpg
    576.7 KB · Views: 0

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So I have had this Lenovo thinkpad tablet for about a year and half ago. I somehow made it to this point in life without buying a laptop. I thought this would be awesome for school and it was... for awhile. I originally purchased it for handwritten notes because as an engineer, typed notes just aren't practical. It was good at that, but that's all. I thought I would be able to do word processing on it. What a joke. Android tablets just don't cut it as a Microsoft Word replacement. I won't even go into excel. Then it started to be really slow and the camera stopped working after the warranty expired - go figure. When I bought an 8x in November I fell in love with all things windows. With the new phone, I stopped using my tablet completely because my phone did everything faster, not to mention the 8x is just beautiful and awesome. I have been wanting a surface since it was announced in august. But the wife won't let me take the plunge. I am heading off to grad school in the fall and I think the surface could be my laptop, albeit the pro would be awesome too. My dad has a surface and I am so freakin jealous. With a new windows tablet I would finally have a reason to throw my thinkpad in the trash.

p.s. - The thinkpad tablet is massive! It is almost two ipads thick and it is also taller and wider than practically any 10 incher. It makes me mad just thinking about it.

Attachments

• WP_20130221_014.jpg
    WP_20130221_014.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 0

Dethzilla

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Alright... this is the Story of one broke man's quest to get a free laptop... and how he actually got it.

2005, I had just switched careers...after getting my A+ and Net+ Certifications after spending years as a Graphic Artist for Budweiser and delivering pizzas. New kid and all that jazz... I had no money. While playing on the interwebs I found out about the glory of affiliate marketing; not as an affiliate, but as a person that clicked links to see what they had to offer. Came across a site that gave away free laptops. Since I built my computer from old parts from a friends computer... a new one seemed like an awesome deal... I just had to try some weight loss pills, subscribe to Netflix, Disney book club, get some coffee... things like that... and they PROMISED me a free laptop. Well... I did everything they asked... when all was said and done I spent about $50 or so... and then I waited... and waited... and waited... and one day, while I was trying to sleep (I was working 3rd shift) the damn UPS man came and dropped off a package... and I'll be damned... it was a brand new Sony Vaio FS790B Laptop. IT WAS ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! I jumped up and down like I had won the lottery! I couldn't believe that it had actually worked. I had my first BRAND NEW COMPUTER!!!!

I loved it... and my wife loved it... and my kids loved it... and well... It's been through the ringer... and it still works... albiet... slowly.

My wife uses it now... mostly to figure out non-techy ways to spend my money. While she's out partying with the girls I'm sitting here looking sad.

SadVaio.jpg

1. This is the Vaio... I finally got it in 2006. Since I've gotten I've kept it running through shear force of will. Numerous battery's which still don't work... I have to keep it plugged in to work.

2. This big thing it's sitting in? That's the Docking Station. It's a full size laptop, why would I need a docking station? Because my wife and kids refused to use it in a place where the cord isn't plugged into a high traffic area. They kicked the cord out of the thing so many times that the power adapter would no longer work because the socket in the laptop was broken. Rather than pay $200 to have it sent to Sony and fixed... I bought a used docking station which did a sufficient job of charging the battery (when the battery's worked).

3. That's the power adapter... My laptop is only as portable as the length of this cord and the dock it's attached to. Sometimes... I have to move it for my daughter because it's too heavy for her to move from place to place. I had to buy a weight bench so she could build up enough muscle to lug it around... and by around I mean from couch to couch... from outlet to outlet.

4. This is me. I loved this laptop with all my heart and these heathens ruined it. They can't even keep the screen clean. Why do they have to touch the screen? Why are there fingerprints on the screen? It's not a tablet. It... it just irks me and hurts me. My use of ellipses is out of control.... but it's o.k.

Brokenscreen1.jpg

1. Speaking of the screen... Can you friggen believe this? This was my baby and someone sat on it. I can't tell you how many times I've walked into the living room or bedroom and found the laptop casually laying on it's side while one of my "loving" family members layed in they're own drool... have a care people! This was my baby. They broke the screen. I didn't even know. I actually had a couple of other netbooks before this but sold them because I still had a full size laptop... and low and behold... the screen was broken. Now to some it wouldn't matter. But I have successfully upsold my way into newer technology no less than 7 times... selling the old stuff for the new. I could have easily gotten $200 for this 7 year old laptop... but now I'd be lucky to get $80. The screen... arghhhhhhhhhhh!!!! I took back a Lumia 900 because I noticed the two dead pixels on the screen... it annoyed the **** out of me. Can you imagine how this makes me feel? I feel betrayed. I feel like Glenn feels when he thinks about what the Governor did to Maggie. I'm sorry FS790B... I am... now I want to go kill walkers.

2. I think I mentioned the broken power cord before... So I got a dock, and power cord, and 3 battery's and

3. I replaced the keys in the keyboard. For a long time the K or L didn't work. Found someone on ebay that sold individual keys... and I bought them... only to find out that underneath the keys were more little parts which I also had to buy. This was supposed to be a free laptop... I've had 6 other laptops in my house and they were all eventually sold... but we kept the Vaio... we loved it. I have spent close to $300 to keep this free laptop up and running and now all its' good for is slowly surfing the internet and warming our laps in the middle of winter.

So you may wonder why I need a new Tegra Powered Windows RT Tablet... It's because I will take care of it and use it for years and years and years and because, as much as I love my Vaio... it's a piece of Crap! Please give me one of the Tablets... You will not be disappointed!

--Dethzilla

tiwi13

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
picture002.jpg
I'm using this old Gateway netbook with AMD K125... thing came with windows7 and now it can't boot in less than 5 minutes even on a clean install. Because of how sluggish it became, I was forced to install one of the most lightweight distros of linux (puppy)(for which I had to flash the BIOS because the keyboard wasn't recognized) and even now it still takes more than 2 minutes to boot, plus the wireless access at my university isn't exactly rock-solid (meaning most downloads get interrupted/terminated halfway through)...
The damn thing is pretty much useless at this point... except as a hand-warmer in class, this thing gets hotter than your average toaster and smells like molten plastic most of the time...
Did I mention the fan sounds like it's full of sand? I get stared at because of the noise...

I really need something new, and a tablet would be great to take notes...

cadeross

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I dont need anything at all cause im thankful for what i got my lumia 900 and clothes on my back but it would be pretty sweet to get a tablet ill never be able to afford it otherwise so...
HIT ME WITH THA TABS!!!!!SUCCESS_by_the_chosen_pessimist.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre