Microsoft reveals Update 1 for Windows Phone 8.1, due next week for Preview users

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Update_1_WP81_Lede_Red_Live_Folders.jpg

[h=3]Microsoft unveils Update 1 for Windows Phone 8.1. Here are all the details.[/h]As expected, Microsoft is finally revealing all there is about Update 1 for Windows Phone 8.1. Known internally as GDR1 for 'general distribution release,' this update is one of two for the 8.1 operating system in 2014. The news comes out of Beijing, China where Microsoft's Joe Belfiore announced the release during his keynote, in addition to the expansion of Cortana to the UK and China.
Update 1 is relatively minor in comparison to what 8.1 delivered this spring, but it still contains numerous new features for consumers, and hardware manufacturers. Leaks of these features in Update 1 came over the weekend and were accurate.
Additionally, starting next week, those enrolled in the free Preview for Developers program are slated to get an update to their phones to take advantage of the new OS refresh.

Full story from the WPCentral blog...

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm a little confused by all the mixed responses in the comments, but if we haven't received the Cyan update by the time Update 1 arrives on the Developer Preview program will we still receive the Cyan update, even on Update 1? Has anyone got a device they had on the 8.1 update that received a firmware update for GDR3 whilst on the dev preview or something similar?

svknet

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I have Lumia 620 with WP8.1 Developer Preview. So should I expect to receive Update 1, or do I need to enroll for any other Preview again?

MattW19

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Update 1 has quite a few features. Im guessing its gonna carry considerable lag for 512mb ram devices.
Microsoft are launching brand new devices with 512MB and 4GB of storage, and encouraging other OEMs to do the same. To get away with that they have to be working to make the software lighter - I certainly don't expect it to get any worse.

Obviously there'll be some devices where the mix of the DP version of the OS and firmware don't result in a perfect experience, but their goal is pushing WP onto cheaper and cheaper devices - where they can engineer the software to be better, they can use lower cost parts for hardware and reach lower price points. Working well on 512MB is their strategy, and the dominance of 512MB devices in the market means app developers need to target that segment.

One thing I do expect - all the non-Nokia OEMs will hold off for Update 1 before updating existing devices, if they do so at all. I'd also expect some carriers to use Update 1 as an excuse not to approve 8.1 - and just wait for the update to be pushed down. Happened to me on my Telstra HTC 8S, skipped GDR2 to go straight to GDR3.

Kevinblue4eva

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft are launching brand new devices with 512MB and 4GB of storage, and encouraging other OEMs to do the same. To get away with that they have to be working to make the software lighter - I certainly don't expect it to get any worse.

Obviously there'll be some devices where the mix of the DP version of the OS and firmware don't result in a perfect experience, but their goal is pushing WP onto cheaper and cheaper devices - where they can engineer the software to be better, they can use lower cost parts for hardware and reach lower price points. Working well on 512MB is their strategy, and the dominance of 512MB devices in the market means app developers need to target that segment.

One thing I do expect - all the non-Nokia OEMs will hold off for Update 1 before updating existing devices, if they do so at all. I'd also expect some carriers to use Update 1 as an excuse not to approve 8.1 - and just wait for the update to be pushed down. Happened to me on my Telstra HTC 8S, skipped GDR2 to go straight to GDR3.

That's nice to hear. Thanks man 😊

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos