Weekly photo contest: Motion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Sabri

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Motion_Contest.jpg

Ready for another weekly photo contest? Of course, you are! This will be our third weekly photo contest. The first week our theme was sunrise and last week it was coffee. We’ve had stellar entries over the past two weeks, but now it’s time for a new contest. This week I want to see your best photos with motion!

Motion

This week our theme is motion. It’s a little trickier than capturing a sunset or coffee photo. You’re going to need to capture an image that conveys motion. How you interpret that is up to you, but you can use the image above as inspiration for what we’re looking for.

How do you capture motion? Traditionally you’d need to use a shutter speed that was a little bit longer and took your picture while tracking and following a moving subject. There’s a lot of trial and error, but the rewards can be great. It’s how automotive journalists and sports photographers capture their subjects. That’s an old fashioned way, these days you can also use the smart sequence feature in Nokia Camera on your Lumia. Use whichever method you want for the photo contest this week!

The photo above was captured this past Sunday by me. It's a horse race at the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club in Del Mar, California. It was my first time at the horse races, and I couldn’t pass up on the opportunity to capture the motion of these incredibly fast horses.

I captured it using the Lumia 1520 using Nokia Camera. I used the smart sequence mode, which captures multiple photos in a very short amount of time. From there, you can edit the photos to remove faces, remove moving objects, get the best shot, get an action shot or do motion focus. As you can guess, I did the motion focus. I then opened it up in Photoshop and adjusted the curves a little bit and cropped the image for the post.

Rules

Rules are going to be just like last week. Here they are:

• Picture must be taken with a Windows Phone
  • Picture must be uploaded to the contest thread (linked below)
  • You have to tell us what device you used to take the picture, and any special software or apps you might have used. Editing your pictures is fine, this is art
  • Feel free to add a little back story, we want to know how the picture came to be
  • You must have used a valid email address to register here at Windows Phone Central, so I know how to contact the winner
  • Only one entry per week per person

Social

We’re going to continue our social experiment from last week. Share any pictures you take for the contest on Instagram and Twitter using the following hashtags. It’s a fun way to at a glance check out your competition and get inspiration. Plus we’re building a community of Windows Phone mobile photographers!

Here's how it looks this week.

• #wpcpc
  • #motionwpc

This doesn't count as your entry; it's just a fun way to track the photos on social media. Your entry still needs to be in the forums!

Prize

One winner will get a $25 gift card to the Windows Phone Store. You can use it to buy apps and games in the Windows Phone Store, Windows Store or Xbox Store.

We'll pick a winner Tuesday night (August 19) at 11:59 PM ET. Winners will be announced in a blog post for the contest next week.

ylap

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
My cat in action - catching it's toy in the air. Made with Lumia 920 with older, WP 8.0 on that moment, and Nokia Smart Cam. Small edit with Adobe Photoshop Express on my mobile to crop unneeded things, to fine tune the sharpness and colors :) I hope you all will like it :)

AdobePhotoshopExpress_a16f2b27fbe74d9c8e28b01f2195e6c2.jpg

Tanno76

May 17, 2013
Visit site
WP_20140727_15_19_30_Pro.jpg This was taken with a Lumia 920 Nokia camera. Taken while in the park with the kids and a Lancaster bomber and 2 spitfires did a fly past. Was great to hear the roar of the engines.

Toth Robert

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
WP_20140727_10_05_37_Pro.jpgWP_20140727_10_05_37_Pro.jpg

Hello,

This is my picture that I've taken with a Lumia 720.

I've used the Nokia Camera app, played a little with the shutter time and then modified the colours to be a bit warmer with Picasa on my PC.
I've taken this photo one day while heading to work (or gym, perhaps... I can't remember exactly) at one of the tube stops in Budapest, Hungary (which is, funnily enough, called 'metro' in Hungarian). If I'd have to give it a title it'd be 'Speed of Life' (after the David Bowie song), but there's no real story behind the picture. I'd just seen this image in my head so I took it. I hope you like it.

Cheers!

Dan Vybiral

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
So one evening I was playing around with the Nokia Camera app and decided to try some "Light painting". As there is no tripod for the 920 I shot this with and it only does 4 sec exposures, I decided to strap a LED light to a fan and this was the outcome. Only cropped in 6tag.

6tag_230214-210425.jpg

belfagor1929

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
this photo is titled "splash math". splash_math.jpg
It's a game that my 9-yo and I play at the beach: I hold a bucket of water and he stands 10 feet away. I ask him a math question (e.g., 7x8=?). He has 4 seconds to answer. If he answers wrong, takes more than 4 seconds, or starts running, I soak him. Rinse, repeat. He loves the adrenaline of the game, and has gotten pretty good at math too!
Shot on Lumia 1020 in Smart Sequence mode, Motion Focus

Jucan Adrian Remus

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
WP_20140803_12_41_17_Pro.jpg
Hi Sam,
This is my fist time here in this competition so I hope that I'll do good.
The picture you see here was taken 2 weeks ago in vacation at Sinaia, Romania.
There was a toy train museum right in the train station so I decided to do a few pics. To have this result I took around 7 pics so this one was the best. No editing because I like it just like this. The phone used is my dear Nokia Lumia 925 and the camera app is Nokia Camera.

I hope you guys like it,
Cheers!

Vicente A George

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
InstagramCapture_15a7c9f7-4d01-4edb-a116-2ed44206bdc2.jpg My friends and I tend to play Ping-Pong between classes... I took these one the other day... Lumia 928 with smar secuence... Unfurtunatly I lost the original photo after uploading to instragram (my fiancee eraese that thinking it was the instagram copy)

GERGOROCKO

May 1, 2014
Visit site
WP_20140805_11_02_59_Smart 1.jpg
Hi,
This is my kid brother jumpin onto an inflatable pool toy. For this i used Nokia Camera (Smart Sequence) for Windows Phone 8.1. No editing was done

Coolaaron88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
cb6e4e0e032d64ab06b45a19978cfbf7.jpg

Taken with the Nokia Lumia 1020 using Motion Focus. Caught my friend mid run. :)

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
WP_20140704_22_18_00_Pro.jpg
Great topic! I played a bit with this over the July 4th holiday. I had just read an article on how to take photos of fireworks. So, as I sat in my chair I played around with exposure time and some other features of Nokia Camera. I have many others that I would love to post, but this one caught my eye and it reminds me of the tropics. "Electric Palms" This was taken with a Lumia 928, with no post editing.

Mattia Ravarotto

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
AdobePhotoshopExpress_72003bedac5a4c07878b14c8b5993578.jpg
Hi, I'm from Italy and this photo is taken with my Lumia 920 using Nokia Camera and the Smart sequence and a little modified with Adobe Photoshop Elements on my Lumia. We were taking some photos with friends about two months ago when we had the idea of taking such a picture with the idea of motion.
I hope my english is ok :)

Sven Benerink

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
AdobePhotoshopExpress_bfc68e4355274de287673c7bcdb2571b.jpg

Car lights in action, this picture is made with a Nokia Lumia 920 using Nokia smart camera, running windows 8.1 and edited with Adobe photoshop express, i've used a longer exposure time. The picture is made on the John Frost bridge Arnhem the Netherlands.

nomanquadri

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
WP_20131128_16_02_54_Smart_edited.jpg

This photo is from my time in India taken with my Lumia 520 (hence the quality) using Nokia Smart Camera. The shot is of an auto rickshaw a.k.a tuk-tuk filled with students taken from my terrace. Added a filter using Adobe Photoshop Express.

wischmob

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
AdobePhotoshopExpress_afa0070c15524a399e96cc78c95e0233.jpg

Hey guys,

This picture was made with a Lumia 1020 and the Nokia Camera. Slight post was done in Photoshop Express.

Attachments

• WP_20140806_05_41_51_Pro__small.jpg
    WP_20140806_05_41_51_Pro__small.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 13
Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
AdobePhotoshopExpress_da87bd4e46e54ceea28e72c6e1285d5a.jpg
Photograph captured with Nokia Lumia 920 with the support of Nokia Camera and Adobe Photoshop, the reason why take this photo is because I like to see the beautiful side of things we see every day, that for many is boring and for others like me is an opportunity to show others the attractiveness that can result.

Last edited:

Babiche

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Backflip.

One, two, three... Jump !
"Okay let's press pause right now and take a closer look.
Well... You seems to be a little bit uptight but the way you're moving is pretty good.
Let's press play again so !"

At this moment, we were each-hiking and waiting for some car to come in this little French village.

Shot with Nokia Smart Camera on my Lumia 1020, a really impressive Windows Phone !
Edited thanks to Adobe Photoshop Express.Backflip.jpg

edboogie78

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I captured this image with my 1520 during Hot August Nights here in Reno. I set my shutter speed to 2 secs as the old school cars drove by at night. I then used Fantasia Painter to give it a HDR filter.

Attachments

• Fantasia%20Painting(28).jpg
    Fantasia%20Painting(28).jpg
    723.4 KB · Views: 20

z8er

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
This was taken during landing on our way back from a trip to Utah. Taken with the 1020 and edited in Fhotoroom. Thanks for looking! :excited:

Also on my Instagram

WP_20140306_5733.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb