Weekly photo contest: HDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Sabri

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
HDR.jpeg

HDR! It's the category in photography that everyone
loves to hate. There probably isn't a subject more polarizing in photography than HDR. Which is why it's going to be our theme for the weekly photo contest. Think you have an eye to capture a scene where HDR works? Then you best be entering!

HDR

HDR (High-dynamic-range) is a technique in photography where you produce a greater dynamic range than possible with normal photography methods. It often works by capturing and then combining different exposures of the same subject matter into one photo. When done right HDR can produce beautiful, realistic images. But more often than not, HDR goes terribly wrong.

Which is why I thought it would be fun to have as our theme this week. I want to see what you can do with HDR on Windows Phone. Will you go overboard? Will your HDR be tasteful? We're going to find out.

We've covered a handful of HDR apps on Windows Phone in the past, but feel free to use whichever you want. Don't forget to recommend your favorite below.

The above photo doesn't come from me, but from Daniel. He took the photo recently in NYC while testing our the new built-in HDR features in the HTC One (M8) camera. Check out the rest of the photos and read why he really likes the Duo Ultrapixel camera.

Rules

Rules are going to be just like last week. Here they are:

• Picture must be taken with a Windows Phone
  • Picture must be uploaded to the contest thread (linked below)
  • You have to tell us what device you used to take the picture, and any special software or apps you might have used. Editing your pictures is fine, this is art
  • Feel free to add a little back story, we want to know how the picture came to be
  • You must have used a valid email address to register here at Windows Phone Central, so I know how to contact the winner
  • Only ONE entry per week per person

Social

We're going to continue our social experiment from last week. Share any pictures you take for the contest on Instagram and Twitter using the following hashtags. It's a fun way to at a glance check out your competition and get inspiration. Plus we're building a community of Windows Phone mobile photographers!
Here's how it looks this week.

• #WPCpc
  • #HDRWPC
This doesn't count as your entry; it's just a fun way to track the photos on social media. Your entry still needs to be in the forums!

Prize

One winner will get a $25 gift card to the Windows Phone Store. You can use it to buy apps and games in the Windows Phone Store, Windows Store or Xbox Store.

We'll pick a winner Tuesday night (September 23) at 11:59 PM ET. Winners will be announced in a blog post for the contest next week.
Quick PSA: We've set up dedicated sub-forum in the Windows Phone Central forums to keep the photo contests in one location going forward.

You should bookmark this page, so you never miss a contest.

Good luck and have fun!

nilchak

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
The Princeton architechture - HDR composition shot on a Lumia 1020

10543938896_15e752a5fd_k.jpg

Note : Taken on a Lumia 1020 - three shots with 3 aperture settings on full manual. HDR compositing on a PC using PhotoMatix.
This was on a trip to Princeton to meetup an old friend - and as we walked the grounds with the sun going down - the Princeton University buildings fascinated me - this town had a character and a lot of the character emanated from the architectural grandeur of the university itself and its heritage.

Lucky I had a small stnad with me and I though the only way to capture the fine detauls and character of this building was to take a HDR composition - so that the foreground and stained window work as well as the sky all showed up in a photo worth doing justice.

A big thanks to my rich friend for studying at Princeton - the whole reason I visited it. :)

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
omg HDR! You're absolutely right, Sam. HDR is extremely tricky. When not done right, it produces an image that can look very unreal, with neon-like colors that look unpleasant (to me at least). I do not have a lot of HDR photos, so it is easy for me to choose a pic for this contest. I was out at Scripps Pier, La Jolla, taking some sunset shots when I thought to myself, hey let's try HDR...and this was even before bracketing was available with the Nokia Camera app. As you might have imagined, I used the awesome ProShot camera app, set it to take photos with three different exposure settings, and blended them to obtain this amazing view of the sunset. Shooting into the sun can be tricky - trying to retain the brilliant sky colors requires a low EV. However, this darkens the subject in the foreground, resulting in a silhouette (perfectly fine if that's what you're looking for). Increasing the brightness of the subject requires higher EV, but this results in a washed out sky. But thanks to the HDR technology, I was able to obtain a photo with a dynamic range greater than what a single-exposure shot would have, hence retaining the brilliant sky colors, having sufficient color and brightness in the pier structure AND obtaining that lovely silky water effect. :)
Device: Lumia 920
App: Fotor (online)

sp_1_hdr.jpg

Last edited:

mattdistro

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Taken with a Lumia 1520 using HDR Photo Camera. Nothing special, I had just gotten the 1520 and wanted to try out the HDR app. I had remembered it being awesome on my 920.

Cloudy day before it stormed, just walked outside the entrance and snapped a pic. I did use the "Extreme" setting, so it's a little over the top.

2014_07_08_14_38_31_HDR(1).jpg

Last edited:

steven altanie

May 2, 2013
Visit site
InstagramCapture_a459c0c1-6ab2-4e19-903f-fa56b2df0938_jpg.jpg

Taken with Lumia 820, using 360 Camera, edited on Lumia Creative Studio

This was on a trip to Puncak, West Java, Indonesia.
I was stopped by Sundanese Restaurant on my way to Cibodas Village. It was around magic hour and the sun is ready to set, best time to grab my Lumia and take some nasty picture. The view is quite stunning out there on the Restaurant side. Hope you like it :)

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Here's an HDR. Photo of the sunset from Santa Monica near the pier. Used the HDR Photo Camera app with my Lumia 928. Did a little bit of editing in Lightroom to give it more contrast. What's interesting is that the photo has all kinds of artifacts, but that gave it an overall more interesting effect in my opinion.

2014_07_13_19_51_41_HDR-1.jpg

abausch

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Downtown Portland, Oregon, as seen from the Steel Bridge. Taken with my Lumia Icon, and HDR'd with the Fantasia Painter app. The camera on this phone is the reason I switched from Android to WP. So happy I made that decision.

Attachments

• Portland HDR.jpg
    Portland HDR.jpg
    662.2 KB · Views: 56

wpftw

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
2013_11_17_14_30_31_HDR(2).jpg

Lumia 1020 at Vista House near Portland - taken using HDR Photo Camera.

Just out on a hike, stopped by this nice lookout spot on the way home - you have to look way up from the highway to see it, this is the view at the top. :cool:

Attachments

• 2013_11_17_14_30_31_HDR(1).jpg
    2013_11_17_14_30_31_HDR(1).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Bergosong Besar jetty, Sebatik Island - Its early in the morning, I'm sipping coffee and waiting for a boat to take me home

A simple straight auto-shot on my 920's default camera and HDR-ed on Fantasia Painter. I went for a low 25% to keep it as natural looking as possible without the garish overkill

BG jetty.jpg

Alexander McCain

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Big Ben view in HDR taken from Lumia 630 using Microsoft Cam and edited by Fantasia Painter. I took this picture in the morning 3 months ago in London where I live.

Attachments

• FPImage.jpg
    FPImage.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 22

R0VIN

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I took this shot right after I got off a boat, the water knee deep, just after finishing hopping onto different islands last summer in the province of Zambales, Philippines. Taken using my HTC Radar, edited by Fantasia (for HDR), Fhotoroom (for some other filters) and Lomogram (for framing).

Lomogram_2014-04-29_10-05-44-PM.jpg

Absar Mohammed

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
fotor_WP_20140822_08_08_22_Pro.jpg
I took this with my handsome Lumia 1520. I used Fotor App for the HDR effect. Was coming back from my office. The bridge and the walkway looked nice to me. So thought of clicking it.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
14769794999_0315bf9be7_o.jpg

Unlike others, I do use RAW for HDR with my mighty 1020. I used to shot 3 pictures with the 808 and had great HDRs with it, but RAW allows more to my eyes. One shot, so no blur motion nor ghosts.

I underexposed this when shooting this lake by my parents-in-law house in Finland. I didn't see the boats to be honests. Then, I amplified the dynamic of the shot by postprocessing the RAW, allowing both the setting sun AND the shadows to be visible.

I have to mention that even when shooting 3 or 5 shots HDR, I prefer photorealistic renders over surrealistic ones ^^

Aadya

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
BF Sealink-4988.jpg

Captured from Lumia 925
Used App Called Fhotolens

Had Bunked the college to enjoy the coming monsoon. Traveled Almost 5 stations to reach and sit on place called Bandra Fort. That's the amazing view on Bandra worli sealink from the fort corner end and the most awaited shower clouds. Captured this shot just to have memories of those days.
Bandra Fort :- Mumbai.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte