Microsoft is making a ROM that allows Android smartphones to run Windows 10 for phones

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
You know, for all the issues that come with Android being open, it does have its advantages!.

True, except this isn't one of them. The benefactors of Android being open source are OEMs. End user "benefit" only indirectly, in the sense that they have more variations of Android to choose from, particularly AOSP Android variants, but depending on the customer, that could also be viewed as a negative.
What you're referring to here is the result of Google heavily prioritizing end user features and time to market over all other engineering concerns, whereas MS' WP development roadmaps emphasize everything except those two things. Has little to do with Android being open source a.k.a more "open".

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
True, except this isn't one of them. The benefactors of Android being open source are OEMs. End user "benefit" only indirectly, in the sense that they have more variations of Android to choose from, particularly AOSP Android variants, but depending on the customer, that could also be viewed as a negative.
What you're referring to here is the result of Google heavily prioritizing end user features and time to market over all other engineering concerns, whereas MS' WP development roadmaps emphasize everything except those two things. Has little to do with Android being open source a.k.a more "open".

Technically, yes, I get what you're saying. But why can I make a nandroid of a Samsung Galaxy S4 but not a Samsung Ativ SE, which are pretty much the same hardware? You're being a bit more technical than I was thinking! :cool:

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Why on earth would Google give WP users android? There is no reason for Google to do that, the user base for windows phone is already so tiny, people who bought one, knew what they bought. It's not like we bought a WP simply because everyone else has one. The position Microsoft is at right now would benefit this move, it would make no difference to Google.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Why on earth would Google give WP users android? There is no reason for Google to do that.

Ehm... maybe because that's exactly what Android was built for? It literally exists to be given away to whomever wants to use it. The better question is why wouldn't Google want to do that? Anything Google can do to limit WP's market share is a good thing for them, and now is the best time to do it. Google would be stupid not to.

It's just a moot point, because flashing Android on a WP device is technically pretty much impossible without direct involvement and cooperation from MS, which is highly unlikely to say the least.

Last edited:

srikanth reddy4

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Ehm... maybe because that's exactly what Android was built for? It literally exists to be given away to whomever wants to use it. The better question is why wouldn't Google want to do that? Anything Google can do to limit WP's market share is a good thing for them, and now is the best time to do it. Google would be stupid not to.

It's just a moot point, because flashing Android on a WP device is technically pretty much impossible without direct involvement and cooperation from MS, which is highly unlikely to say the least.

Its true.....no one can touch the core part of wp software without MS support which MS wont do

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Its true.....no one can touch the core part of wp software without MS support which MS wont do

The problem for Google is not that they can't modify WP. They don't need to. The problem is Windows secure boot and the TPM chip in each device that prohibits anything that isn't code-signed by MS' from booting.

So far nobody has been able to circumvent that system, not to mention that even if some XDA developer had, it would still be illegal and therefore not viable for a company like Google.

Rod Iron

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
This would be so frigging awesome, I could FINALLY get the phone I want! I have a part-time job that requires the use of an android app so I got an ASUS PadFone X. Ideally I'd love to be able to erase this horrible android carp and put WM 10 in. Of course I'd have be able to still use that app but since droid apps will be available this could really solve my problem. Realistically I have ZERO hope of this happening simply because it would be too much like right but who knows.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99