Poll: What do you think of the Microsoft Edge name?

Southgarden116

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Do you think "Edge" would be the best name of the new IE "Project Spartan"

MS needs a change IMO and should call it Spartan. I don't like Edge at all, and IE is dead for most people. Just look at sites like 9gag or Facebook, where people make fun of IE in an extreme way about how slow and bad it is. For example: "I'm using Internet Explorer, I hope this status does not come too late. Happy New Year 2012"
People who are not enthusiastic about browsers will find a way to browse (it will be Spartan/or whatever it's called), they will use it and be happy with it. I don't think most people will then think "Oh.. that's not Internet Explorer, in that case I'm going to install Chrome".

Btw: I'm for Spartan

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

Call it Spartan or Edge, although Edge sounds more like a razor name. Perhaps Frecklefart76?

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

Guys be cool, It is just a name. a name that have been chosen after big research and statistic from the users.

DancingDave

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site

Guys be cool, It is just a name. a name that have been chosen after big research and statistic from the users.

Yea, they probably saw the sales numbers of the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and thought: Yep, seems like a good name! /s

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

Yea, they probably saw the sales numbers of the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and thought: Yep, seems like a good name! /s

That is a phone and this is a browser, big difference. also they called the new rendering engine Edge long time ago.

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site

Kinda wish they would move away from the e logo and anything associated with IE. It's poisoned at this point. I was in a 30 person training class and the first question out of several people was why our system forced us to use IE and no alternative browsers. IE is nowhere near as bad as it used to be, but people do not want to go near it if they have been using Chrome or Firefox for the last few years.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Also worth noting that for many users, the blue "e" is the internet and nothing else. So I imagine they dont want to rock that boat.

Kodiak12

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site

Regardless of what I think it's all moot anyway. This one's carved in stone folks.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

Not quite liking the name, but I guess it'll stick. As for the icon, they should change it more. It's too similar to IE, which is a bad thing for most people.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Whenever I see Edge name the first thing comes in my mind is Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.

So, I think Spartan will be much cooler than edge.

Spartan is very cool and strong name.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm guilty of thinking of IE as if it were a venereal disease because of past performance issues. However, some really bad recent problems with Firefox have led me back to IE11 and it's been a pretty positive experience. I still don't use Chrome because I just don't like the layout.

Like the name, don't care for the logo.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

Nopea

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
I liked Spartan more. Edge is allready used. Now while they are at it why dont they name next phones Samsungi S7 or uPhone 7

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Spartan is a "getting things done" name.
Edge is nothing more than weak clich?.
It's awful. I just don't get the mindset behind that decision. People can't possibly walked out of that decision meeting feeling "pumped", could they?
Gahhhhh.
Anyway. It's done now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs