You can now use Kinect and Windows Hello to sign in to Windows 10

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Xbox_One_Kinect2.jpg

Ever since Microsoft announced their Windows Hello biometric authentication program for Windows 10 people immediately asked about using the Kinect sensor. After all, Kinect already uses your face to sign you into the Xbox One making it patient zero of the Windows Hello paradigm. Unfortunately, for those using Kinect and Kinect for Windows there was no way to use the hardware for Windows Hello.
All of that is changing as Microsoft has finally created a beta driver that lets Windows 10 use Kinect for Windows v2 and Kinect for Xbox One use Windows Hello. The news came through an email to developers of Kinect who are part of the SDK and testing program where they announced the "public preview of Kinect support for Windows 10".

For now, you need to do some registry digging and hacking to let the OS download the new beta drivers for the feature. Microsoft has posted the instructions here and they are relatively short and sweet.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I can't get this to work. Got the adapter. Made the registry edit. No driver updates and pc isn't recognizing Kinect in device manager. Even downloaded the Kinect SDK to see if that was required which isn't in the instructions.

What am I missing here? Hopefully not my processor that's an i5 2500k.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss