Starbucks still doesn't have a release date for its promised U.S. Windows Phone app

HdHunter

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
As a Windows Insider I was hoping we'd get an early release but it's not showing up in the store on my phone. From what I can see there is no mention of a release date anywhere or even teasers like it's coming soon. I've checked the app section on their website, my Starbucks iPad app and chatted with customer service about the it. Crap! No milk frother or app was available. As usual customer service seemed clueless. One told me the phone won't be supported so I wrote back saying the COO had announced that the app will drop within 30-45 days from March 23, he said it in public.

I actually lost track of the time and thought they were still within the window if we counted workdays. Based on the statement, this release is late. I wonder what's holding this up. :(

Last edited:

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
No business cares about 1.7% of users. They focus on the 98% which is appropriate for their business model and responsibility to their shareholders. That's the truth, like it or not.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
No business cares about 1.7% of users. They focus on the 98% which is appropriate for their business model and responsibility to their shareholders. That's the truth, like it or not.
It is not valid to assume that only 1.7% of Starbucks customers use Windows phones, simply because only 1.7% of US smartphone users use Windows phones. It is entirely possible that 98% of WP users visit Starbucks while only 2% of iOS and 3% of Android users do. I am not saying that this is the case, but until someone does an actual study asking that question, it's a possibility.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
It is not valid to assume that only 1.7% of Starbucks customers use Windows phones, simply because only 1.7% of US smartphone users use Windows phones. It is entirely possible that 98% of WP users visit Starbucks while only 2% of iOS and 3% of Android users do. I am not saying that this is the case, but until someone does an actual study asking that question, it's a possibility.

Wow you definitely don't own a business!

xeraphael

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

And you think your possibility is anywhere near plausible enough to even be worth mentioning?

Sent from mTalk

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

that is bloody absurd! And market share is now at 0.7%...

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Actually, if you've visited a Starbucks in real life, the iOS/Mac OS users are overrepresented relative to the general population.
That said, Starbucks does attract those upper middle class hipster types, so the solution to the problem in the long term is to get Windows 10 Mobile fashionable among these people.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
At Starbucks 5 times a week. People are like what's that referring to my Band 2. And numerous state "didn't know MS made phones". Virtually all have iPhones, lesser # Android. I have seen only one w MS phone in 5 years

MS has zero mobile type commercials in US.. #stupid

HdHunter

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
A while back someone suggested they'd release the Starbucks app with the Anniversary update. I'm voting that up. I think your on to something.:) If it's not here by then, I give up.

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Why do consumers care so much about marketshare? It's really irrelevant.. if Starbucks said they're making a UWP app, there's enough marketshare in their research for them to warrant it.

If they pushed an incomplete app, people would be whining and losing their minds about moving platforms because the UWP app sucks and is so much better on Iphone or Android, yadda yadda.

Take a chill pill people.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Why do consumers care so much about marketshare? It's really irrelevant.. if Starbucks said they're making a UWP app, there's enough marketshare in their research for them to warrant it.

If they pushed an incomplete app, people would be whining and losing their minds about moving platforms because the UWP app sucks and is so much better on Iphone or Android, yadda yadda.

Take a chill pill people.
The market share did matter before so why now? It has practically disappeared in comparison to what it once was. The desktop market share is irrelevant as this only makes sense on mobile and they specifically mentioned windows phone only. It's cool that they are developing an app, but it seems the only reason this has suddenly become a thing is most likely due to the fact that the current Starbucks President is a former Microsoft Employee. It was supposed to be out a couple of months back and there is still no sign of it which makes you wonder how much attention it's really getting.

It's one thing to have a rushed incomplete app as you say but still another to have an app that is finally pushed out but still ends up being an incomplete app because it never really had much attention paid to it.

If the final app has feature parity with iOS and Android such as the ability to order drinks through the app then that will be at least an indication they are serious about it. Hopefully Starbucks will surprise us :smile:

Of course, if for some reason, they never released it, I'm sure the Earth will continue to turn on its axis :wink:

HdHunter

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree. It's just an app for buying coffee. It won't bring world peace or sink Starbucks if it doesn't release. But, I agree, I'm sure they did their homework and determined there is value in having an app for Windows mobile. Also, I do believe we'll be able to use it on the desktop and I hope if includes ordering. Why reach for your phone if your already busy punching the keyboard as you take care of tasks at work. Just bring up the app, order ahead and pick it up at the store. I think that's very convenient. What really puzzles me are the announcements that the app is coming out. Why would senior leaders say it's coming out at certain times and then totally miss the deadlines. It would be easier to say nothing or just make the announcement when it is ready - testing is completed, it's dropping - surprise! Well, I still think it's coming and I do expect all the features we have in IOS.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
0.7% or 1.7%... Either way that isn't a true picture.. There are also tablets out there that could make use of the app. Unless it's only going to be a phone app and not UWP?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss