50% smart phone owners download no apps a month - is an app gap the problem?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm no so sure the so-called "app gap" and the fact that half the smart phone population have no need for downloads is exactly the same thing. I do suspect however, those that download no apps and those completely comfortable with this platform have a more in common than we let on.
If Redmond gets interested in Windows Phone again, they could go after that 50 percent.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I believe it too.
Problem is when a certain app is wanted can you find it?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The issue to me isn't the number of apps downloaded in any given month, but rather the question of whether or not a particular app is available when a user decides to download it.

I haven't downloaded any new apps this month, but if I spot a new app I want to try next month or 6 months from, will it be available?

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
The issue to me isn't the number of apps downloaded in any given month, but rather the question of whether or not a particular app is available when a user decides to download it.

I haven't downloaded any new apps this month, but if I spot a new app I want to try next month or 6 months from, will it be available?
But that's true on other platforms too.

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Having both a Windows and iOS devices, I find I have most apps sorted with "client for... " app being available. Only issue so far is that the "client" app is playing catch up to the ever changing requirements for compliance with such as hangouts or play music.

Sent from mTalk on Windows 10 Phone

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
One would be hard pressed to find an app unavailable for iOS or Android, though.
That would depend upon the app. But, based on this survey, most smartphone users aren't that into apps. They claim thirteen percent of smartphone users are responsible for the majority of downloads. I have quite a few apps on my phone, but honestly some of them I've never used and there are only about five that I regularly use. Apparently (based on this survey) I represent a typical user and heavy app users are in the minority. I believe the whole app issue is way over blown but that the masses have been convinced that there are no apps on Windows phones (which is completely untrue) and that's why Windows phones have been unable to gain traction. Sadly, perception is what matters when it comes to sales, not reality.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
For example I had UC Browser, WhatsApp and few others for 3yrs (same apps on WP7 too). If I'm satisfied with them I dont need alternatives. Last time I downloaded apps was 2 months ago, Lufthansa and Expedia, when I found tickets they became useless. So, it's not about how many apps one downloads per month. Not everyone sticks to an app forever like I do. People need apps, and I need damn Chase app too

leandrodp2016

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
Where I live, WP are targeted at younger people, (low prices, colorful back covers, specific kind of adverts ...). considering they tend to lust after trendy apps, usually only available for Android and iOs, I think it doesn't matter how many apps you actually use, it all comes down to what is in fashion, and you willl not be able to try because of the platform. There's an official Lumia Facebook page, where teenagers complain about Pokemon Go, Snapchat, and God knows what else. Of course nobody from MSF answers to any posts, and that is lame publicity. The casual buyer will read that, and run away from the whole thing. If those new apps, so to speak, will not make it to the platform, then this 'perfect for business' slogan should work better marketing-wise.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
One would be hard pressed to find an app unavailable for iOS or Android, though.
For phones that would be accurate. For tablets, not so much. To this day there isn't a PayPal app available for iPads. That's just one example I know of off the top of my head. There are roughly "only" about 400k iPad apps as compared to over 1 million iPhone apps.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
For phones that would be accurate. For tablets, not so much. To this day there isn't a PayPal app available for iPads. That's just one example I know of off the top of my head. There are roughly "only" about 400k iPad apps as compared to over 1 million iPhone apps.

There is a PayPal Here app for iPad. The iPhone's PayPal app can be used on the iPad as well.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I may not check for a new app for many months; but, I check for updates for the apps I have... daily, sometimes more. Don't need more apps than I have time for, I need apps that save me time.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
There is a PayPal Here app for iPad. The iPhone's PayPal app can be used on the iPad as well.

It's not optimized for the iPad. Yes, you can use it if you don't mind a mostly black display and limited functionality (keyboard is wonky). You have to change viewing settings in the App Store app to even be able to do this and it's a ghetto workaround.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's not optimized for the iPad. Yes, you can use it if you don't mind a mostly black display and limited functionality (keyboard is wonky). You have to change viewing settings in the App Store app to even be able to do this and it's a ghetto workaround.

As usual, you are correct. Yet the fact remains that if I wish to use the PayPal app on my iPad, I have that option. It is certainly better than no app. And I think it's a bit of a stretch to call it a ghetto workaround! It takes about 1/2 of a second to do it. :eek:rly: WP fans would kill to have that kind of a workaround!!!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
As usual, you are correct. Yet the fact remains that if I wish to use the PayPal app on my iPad, I have that option. It is certainly better than no app. And I think it's a bit of a stretch to call it a ghetto workaround! It takes about 1/2 of a second to do it. :eek:rly: WP fans would kill to have that kind of a workaround!!!
For PayPal, we do. It's called a browser bookmark which we can pin to the start screen. It's 100% effective with more functionality than a mobile app. It's not "cool" but it gets the job done better than a half-sized app.

anon(9895094)

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
For PayPal, we do. It's called a browser bookmark which we can pin to the start screen. It's 100% effective with more functionality than a mobile app. It's not "cool" but it gets the job done better than a half-sized app.

Yea, I don't understand this app craziness... For example, bank sites. Why would I need an app, if I can just go to the website and do what I have to do?? With full functionality too.

Sent from mTalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It depends. I cannot deposit checks using my bank's website.
You honestly trust your bank information to be transported over a cellular signal? Wells Fargo and Bank of America are like McDonald's and Burger King, they're everywhere. I use the drive-up ATM and deposit my checks so I don't even have to get out of the car. It's too friggin' hot here to leave the A/C and comfort of my car.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss