Samsung Galaxy S8 'Microsoft Edition' will be available in Microsoft Stores

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Today Microsoft announced that will sell a custom version of the Samsung Galaxy S8, called the Microsoft Edition, in its U.S. retail stores, according to reports.
The Microsoft Edition Android phone appears to be exactly the same as the regular version of the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus from a hardware perspective, but it will apparently have some features that make it easier to install and use Microsoft apps that don't already come preinstalled on the device, such as Outlook and Cortana, when users first connect to Wi-Fi. The Galaxy S8 will ship with Office basics such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint, as well as OneDrive and Skype.
galaxy-s8-s8-plus-together-6.jpg

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
That's great for Microsoft. That's giving them a big in and a partner in the mobile space. I'm not sure that helps anyone looking for another Windows phone but will be interesting to see where this leads.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
They are playing nice with Samsung, since they just made a 2-in-1 with W10. This will make S8 sales better, but doesn't help W10M fans. Who knows, maybe they will make a W10M version of S8 in the near future. Samsung is not tied to Android, and easily make two versions of S8.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
They are playing nice with Samsung, since they just made a 2-in-1 with W10. This will make S8 sales better, but doesn't help W10M fans. Who knows, maybe they will make a W10M version of S8 in the near future. Samsung is not tied to Android, and easily make two versions of S8.
Ya they're feeling out W10 with that current 2in1. Let's wait and see.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

I agree. It may not help MS mobile fans right now, but could pay off in the future.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Samsung is not tied to Android, and easily make two versions of S8.

Actually a lot of android H/W makers are trying to reduce their reliance on google. That's why many of them try to offer similar services to the google ones within android.

Google have set up the android alliance to be quite restrictive on the H/W manufacturers, so that they don't fork android and shut google out. It actually prohibits a H/W maker part of the android alliance to make any other devices that don't conform to google's requirements.

In order to gain access to some of the really useful parts of android, such as the app store, they must include all the other google things as well.

I suspect that the whole problem is that google has positioned themselves in such a manner that they're in control of the profit making parts of android, while the H/W manufacturers are off fighting amongst each other for the scraps, only to promote and improve google's profits in the process. This is why supporting devices has been nothing short of abysmal on android; no incentive because they won't get any money for it. That's why I gave up on it, had a decent phone which was stuck on gingerbread.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Actually a lot of android H/W makers are trying to reduce their reliance on google. That's why many of them try to offer similar services to the google ones within android.

Google have set up the android alliance to be quite restrictive on the H/W manufacturers, so that they don't fork android and shut google out. It actually prohibits a H/W maker part of the android alliance to make any other devices that don't conform to google's requirements.

In order to gain access to some of the really useful parts of android, such as the app store, they must include all the other google things as well.

I suspect that the whole problem is that google has positioned themselves in such a manner that they're in control of the profit making parts of android, while the H/W manufacturers are off fighting amongst each other for the scraps, only to promote and improve google's profits in the process. This is why supporting devices has been nothing short of abysmal on android; no incentive because they won't get any money for it. That's why I gave up on it, had a decent phone which was stuck on gingerbread.

Correct. Same reason has forced Tizen OS and Huawei has their own OS though that is much under wraps right now that I know of. Most other makers though have only skinned the OS which is almost the same thing minus the under the hood Google android.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Forget W10M.... this is MS saying, "we now welcome android and we will switch to Android", this being the first step, W10M will be culled off soon and MS will develop new devices with Android on them, This is the only way this company can move forward in Mobile. Apps are the life line for todays devices, no app = no customers.
As for Full W10 on Arm, yes that will happen too but on larger devices, Tablet size minimum, not a mobile phone as we know it, it seems perfectly clear to me that MS has surrendered and joined forces with the "other side" .
I think this will work. Forget W10M on an S8, its never going to happen.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I'd be quite surprised to see Microsoft enter the Android space. Doesn't really make a lot of sense to try to compete there. Especially a competing platform that doesn't really integrate into their software. Yes, they've made their big programs available for other os's to appease those who are using Android or iOS but that's so they don't find alternatives and take away from their PC division etc