Universal Skype app exits preview, but is it really ready for prime time?

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I've never been much of a fan of the universal Skype app. But now that it's out of preview, is it actually any better?
I was a huge fan of Messaging Everywhere on Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile. It was simple, clean and incredibly fast. And it was built right into the universal Messaging app, which I adore to this day for it's clean, minimalistic look. So when Microsoft announced it was killing Messaging Everywhere in favor of Skype SMS Relay, I was sad. Very sad.
skype.png

However, I convinced myself that maybe Skype would do it well. So after waiting a long time for SMS Relay to show up in the Skype universal app, I was disappointed by how slow, ugly and unfinished the app was. But it was still in preview, so it wasn't really fair to judge.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

ITmanagerNC

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
It may have exited preview and I have the latest version on my desktop, laptop, table and 3 of my Test Mobile devices (Win BLU, 925 and 830) but the store wont offer it to my main device, my 1520. Still the 11.12.112 preview version no matter how many times I check for updates. Same with lots of other Microsoft apps.
For the devices it updated on I have noticed 2 benefits; Automatic People app integration and fixed the bug when rotating to landscape the active field would switch to the contact search and not stay in the current chat.
Still needs to revamp the Emojis, add linkage to a GIF repository, add effects like iMessage and do some kind of takeover / handoff of SMS messages though Skype, not just make them appear in the same window.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb