BlackBerry has been revived, does it give hope to Windows phone fans?

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
blackberry-keyone-lumia-950xl.jpg

If you want to talk to fans of slowing platforms, our pals at CrackBerry should be first on the list.
BlackBerry was famously behind the curve going into a modern, touch-based OS with BlackBerry 10. Despite the company's hard work at pushing the platform and engaging developers, it didn't work out.
I sat in the last BlackBerry Jam Europe developer conference a few years ago, and there was a lot of excitement. BlackBerry fans can certainly rival Windows phone fans when it comes to passion for their platform. But BlackBerry faded away until the company's recent revival.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

AlexNuggz1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Just deployed 10 of these in our firm. We gave the users the option of Blackberry Key One or IPhone 6s, it was about half and half. Most of the Blackberry people went for it because of nostalgia... they are all super happy with it, great device. I only hope Microsoft will follow suit and build its own proper windows 10 style launcher for Android in a similar fashion, addressing both the app gap and lack of supported devices in one swoop!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
It's just an android phone (now with a keyboard) rebranded by Blackberry, same as their other recent devices. Why is this any kind of indicator that the company has been "revived"?

Sent from mTalk

Chris Mertens

Aug 1, 2017
Visit site
I moved away from Windows Phone a while ago and moved toward Android. I currently have an LG G6 with Arrow Launcher, Cortana, and Bing as the default search engine. I think Microsoft should just embrace Android, skin it with Microsoft services on premium hardware.

While I loved the Windows Phone, I just don't see Windows 10 mobile making a play in what today is consider the smart phone market.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
In my opinion, BB is still very much tainted by the "BlackBerry of old", and feel Windows Mobile is now in the same boat. So no matter what MSFT does from hereon in, their past history will have a big impact on their efforts to regain momentum and personally, don't see it happening.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Two choice suck for smartphones. Three or four options of smartphone OS sounds better. Though that just me.

Yeah that'd be ideal but obviously other's had different plans. BB to me is now just another variant of Android so they're out, and Windows Mobile is fading into the abyss, so they too are out.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Two choice suck for smartphones. Three or four options of smartphone OS sounds better. Though that just me.

I agree; the more the better. But at least we have two mobile giants from which to choose. Compare it to desktop; the 2nd place OS has less than 4% market share.

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I agree; the more the better. But at least we have two mobile giants from which to choose. Compare it to desktop; the 2nd place OS has less than 4% market share.

A few years back I had a blackberry playbook nice device for its time though I often wonder why it didn't have lots of support. Once more. Even though that went out the door that was built of off BB10 its a shame to see something awesome go down. Like Windows Mobile and BB10 its different from iOS and Android and I feel it does good if not better in some areas. I just don't want to see WM go bye bye like BB10 did. Cause when I think of just Apple or Android just makes me think why isn't car manufacture isn't the same way as our choice of OS for a phone. Just saying trying to stick on subject. I wouldn't mind having a BB if it was still supported not saying I don't like apple I just don't like just two choices that boring i'll never have a iPhone cause there to expensive and me and google android meh just not for me.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
A few years back I had a blackberry playbook nice device for its time though I often wonder why it didn't have lots of support. Once more. Even though that went out the door that was built of off BB10 its a shame to see something awesome go down. Like Windows Mobile and BB10 its different from iOS and Android and I feel it does good if not better in some areas. I just don't want to see WM go bye bye like BB10 did. Cause when I think of just Apple or Android just makes me think why isn't car manufacture isn't the same way as our choice of OS for a phone. Just saying trying to stick on subject. I wouldn't mind having a BB if it was still supported not saying I don't like apple I just don't like just two choices that boring i'll never have a iPhone cause there to expensive and me and google android meh just not for me.

The BB PlayBook was the straw that broke the camels back for me. Was built like a tank and a diamond in the rough, then someone at RIM decided to reneg on their promise to bring on BB10. Things were already in disarray so wasn't too much of surprise when that happened.

And as for WM/BB10 being "different", that's very subjective and dependant on which side of the fence you are on. They all have a uniqueness to them with it only coming down to the user's preferences as to which works best, for them.

I'll admit I'd probably still be rockin a BB if they hadn't pi**ed me off. But then maybe it would have been WM as I am kind of partial to the tiles, but there again, the entity that designed it managed to turn it into a train wreck (my opinion).

Personally, I don't foresee WM (as we know it today) amounting to anything. And whatever plans MS has for the "future" is going to be tainted by the past, cannot see it not be. May be tough teaching this old dog new tricks but we have a good memory. 😁

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
The Playbook was a disaster. If I remember correctly it didn't even have email when it came out. I had one but sold it. Now they are just a branch of Android which was the only way they were going to survive. Sad mismanagement.

Windows mobile has gone down a similar path. We'll see if they can get it right again but, as has been mentioned, the past leaves a bitter taste for many.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
The Playbook was a disaster. If I remember correctly it didn't even have email when it came out. I had one but sold it. Now they are just a branch of Android which was the only way they were going to survive. Sad mismanagement.

Windows mobile has gone down a similar path. We'll see if they can get it right again but, as has been mentioned, the past leaves a bitter taste for many.

Pretty sure my PB was email capable, gave it to my brother then someone broke into his vehicle and stole it, the only time I felt sorry for a thief lol.

And that's exactly how I feel about WM/WP, may have gotten there by different means compared to BB but the end results are eerily alike. Can't see that barring well for any new plans MS may have sitting in the wings. If something does materialize no doubt there'll be takers but will it be enough to sustain on a long-term level, I'm doubtful seeing the cycle of the past repeating itself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos