Chime in: With Groove dead, what service are you streaming?

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
groove-spotify.jpg

Now that Microsoft killed Groove Music, where are you taking your ears?
It doesn't matter how long you've been using it, if you're invested in Groove Music Microsoft just dealt you a hammer blow. Music is a pretty major part of any ecosystem, and you probably settled on Groove because you enjoyed using it.
Now you have to look elsewhere, and that's the topic of a discussion in the Windows Central forums.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

Random DS

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Deezer. Since Groove Music Pass was never available here in Hungary, it was always my go to music streaming service. It has a nice UWP app, that works just fine on all my devices, and in case I want to play around with my iPad, or my android phone (that I mostly use as a USB modem), their app is also nice on those platforms. The only major issue I have with it, is that there's almost no German music, but that's what my OneDrive music folder, and Loco Music Player are for. You all should try Deezer 😁

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I still haven't decided on what direction I am going to go. I am leaning toward Spotify. However, the current app sucks so i might not even get a streaming service. Idk

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Tashannoc

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I switched to Android last year so I have a few more options than if I were still on WP/WM.

That said, I'm looking at Spotify, since it's the most painless transition, but I the offline restriction of 3333 songs per device is a bit of a non-starter. Also, it doesn't have a solution for adding your own music to your library (the locally stored music section of the app is terrible).

The other option I'm looking at is Google Play. I already have my personal collection synced up via the Music Manager keeping an eye on my onedrive folder. The problem would be recreating my streaming collection one album at a time.

I've got a couple months before the final nail is in the Groove coffin so I have a little while to figure it out.

Josec04

Oct 14, 2017
Visit site
Hi Dan, I am also very frustrated with the way Microsoft has been moving forward with their "business" decisions. Killing off groove to their last remaining supporters. So, my question to you is how is it going to work when you have purchased music off their store? I have never bought a groove music pass, but have purchased over 1400 songs. Let's say if every song is worth .99 cents.......am I going to be able to keep what I have purchased? Is all my information going to be moved over to Spotify? I dont understand how it is going to work?? Thank you for your help Dan.

Your loyal fan,

Johnny Secreto

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I haven't signed up for a service since cancelling my Groove subscription almost two years ago. Lately I've just been listening to the stuff I already own. Oh no, I've become old!!! :grin:

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi Dan, I am also very frustrated with the way Microsoft has been moving forward with their "business" decisions. Killing off groove to their last remaining supporters. So, my question to you is how is it going to work when you have purchased music off their store? I have never bought a groove music pass, but have purchased over 1400 songs. Let's say if every song is worth .99 cents.......am I going to be able to keep what I have purchased? Is all my information going to be moved over to Spotify? I dont understand how it is going to work?? Thank you for your help Dan.

Your loyal fan,

Johnny Secreto
You can still download music that you've purchased, I would do that before the service is shutdown.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett