Microsoft CEO admits repeatedly abandoning consumers was a mistake

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
522031-satya-nadella.jpg

In a recent interview, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella said he failed, multiple times, to remain committed to consumers who have shown a commitment to Microsoft.
Though he didn't mention Windows phone specifically, Nadella clearly failed in his commitment to Windows phone users. Reneging on a promise to make Windows phones if no one else did, withdrawing from markets where Windows phones thrived, a lack of marketing and failing to lead Universal Windows Platform (UWP) support with first-party apps is a condemning litany of proof of Nadella's failed commitment to consumers.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I my industry, we sell systems and are actually unprofitable on some products / services contained in the system. However, that's OK because the system is very profitable overall propping up the unprofitable products. Without the later, our systems would not be competitive. Ecosystems are the same. MS should be thinking this way before dropping key products that are required for a thriving ecosystem. Maybe Groove was too large of a drain, but I doubt it. Same goes for W10M or prior iterations.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I my industry, we sell systems and are actually unprofitable on some products / services contained in the system. However, that's OK because the system is very profitable overall propping up the unprofitable products. Without the later, our systems would not be competitive. Ecosystems are the same. MS should be thinking this way before dropping key products that are required for a thriving ecosystem. Maybe Groove was too large of a drain, but I doubt it. Same goes for W10M or prior iterations.

You make a good point about unprofitable products being valuable in some cases. They are used as access to profitable products.

Microsoft has dumped billions of dollars into WP/WM for years, and they still couldn't make any significant headway. A loss leader isn't any good if it doesn't bring users to profitable products.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
True, but I believe the Nokia purchase was not necessary to keep Mobile alive. It may have actually made things worse. I guess that would be the largest Mobile slice of the "billions" in loses. I commend MS for sticking with Surface, though. I think MS should have continued to make phones regardless, as Nutella said himself. I'm sure HP would have stuck around with MS commitment. Look at Bing, it was a loser for years, now its bearing fruit. Anyway, just a ******'s opinion.

LuxuryTouringZone

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
This may have been posted three days ago, but I'd still like to say that if they'd just release no less than 3 Windows Phone flagships a year, market them properly, and make them available on all major carriers in the U.S.A and Canada, then they would have fared far better. Would they have been a Google or Apple? No, but they would've been much better than how they're doing now.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Yah, to bad. I just purchased an LG V20 yesterday cuz my Idol 4S battery was toast. Couldn't find a used Idol for T-Mobile, so now I'm messing around with Android again. Darn you Nedella! I would be happy with 1 Win 10 phablet a year with decent camera. Is that too much to ask for. I guess so. Anyway, I'll drop Android immediately if TMo get's another Windows phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire