Does the Surface Book 2 13-inch have 'coil whine'? #AskDanWindows Episode 32

psh_vt

May 8, 2017
Visit site
I'm very curious about "coil whine." I have a fairly new Surface Book 2 15" and started hearing a sound that seemed to meet that definition. It actually sounded a little like a hard drive noise, although with a ssd that can't be it.

I've heard it rarely, maybe 3 times in 3 months, usually when the computer was busy (but usually downloading busy, not graphic card busy).

Last time I heard it, on a whim I unplugged the power supply and it went away. I also noticed I was using a lower power power supply (from a Surface Pro 3) and the noise went away also when I switched to the higher powered SB2 power supply.

The sound I heard would have been very annoying if it was present all the time, but doesn't really bother me as rarely and briefly as it occurs.

I was curious if perhaps what people are calling "coil whine" could be something else? I was wondering if in my case it's something more related to the power system in the computer since it was correlated with using a power supply that had a lower capacity than the one that comes with the SB2?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven