Chime in: Are you still using a Windows phone?

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
lumia-950-xl-lake.jpg

Ah Windows Phone, we hardly knew ye. Although, some of us still know ye.
Windows phones and Windows 10 Mobile is effectively dead, no longer receiving support from Microsoft in terms of features or apps. It's set to receive security tweaks and minor bug fixes, for the time being, buoyed by the occasional UWP app update and a smattering of progressive web apps (PWA) hitting the store. For the most part, sadly, it's a goner. But that doesn't mean it's unusable.
Although practically all Windows Central staff have moved over to Android, at least one of us is still rocking his Windows phone, and we'd like to hear if (and why) you are too.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

rikpoo lepcha

Jul 25, 2018
Visit site
hello there endangered WM users..i am using my 640 XL since May of 2015 and before that it was a 520. I still like the way the UI looks, the dark theme, the metro design, the improvements from 8 to 8.1 to 10. At first, the reason i chose windows over android was the unique look, no bloatware, great HERE maps, smooth OS etc.,. There was also hope for more apps inclusion but with passage of time this drifted very far away. But also because of this app g-a-p it helped me stay away from my smartphone. If we look at other OS users, they'll always be hooked with the screen because they'll have the latest updates and newer apps/games coming up frequently, but with our poor store, i lead a simple smartphone life. But sometimes this also hits back as sometimes i will be in dire need of an app which is there in android and so i cannot help it. So recently i am having thoughts about buying a moto G5+, which i cannot afford right now and my 640 XL is still very much in a pristine condition.(sigh) If only microsoft could put back up a team to solve small things like the awful Maps, improving camera software and bringing back the smoothness of 8.1 to 10, I would happily use my phone till it lasts.

Groover1971

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I actually would still be using my Lumia 950 if it was still functioning properly. But I don't want to invest anymore money buying another one. I did purchase the Lumia 640 locked to Cricket just to play with but I never activated it and can't seem to get it unlocked. Its a really nice phone, especially for the $30 I paid for it brand new at Target. I still keep it updated on wifi. Its currently on Build 15254. I still have a perfectly good Windows Phone 8.1 (Lumia 822 w/wireless charging) but its not a GSM phone and I'm on T-Mobile now. It actually does work at 2G speed I believe but a new cheap Android phone works better and faster.

Speaking of which, I am now using a ZTE Blade V9 Pro. Its a nice phone for $150. I believe its the cheapest phone you can buy that comes with USB type-C. I disabled as much Google stuff as I could. I installed Microsoft Launcher and most of the Microsoft apps, including Office, Bing, and Edge which I use exclusively. I use the SwiftKey Keyboard. I use Onedrive as my backup. I even use Cortana as my personal assistant. I use Here Maps instead of Google Maps. So I'm still trying to have the Windows Phone experience on Android hardware.

I miss Windows Mobile and Windows Phone

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Still happily using my 950XL, 640 and my wife is using the Alcatel Idol4s. Really love the truly hands free Bluetooth calling/texting function built in to W10 mobile. Also still like the live tiles and the notifications on the lock screen. The lack of some apps never bothered me because the pined websites work just fine for me. Hope these phones last at least 1 more year till Andromeda is released. :)

mtiede

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm still happily using my 950xl. I am however finding myself less and less interested in windows central. It used to be so much fun when there were lots of development on the phone. Now nothing excites me much. What with Silverlight gone, and band and Kinect and Cortana languishing, etc. But i still enjoy my phone and it's apps and the really nice camera.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I just purchased an unopened box 950 xl on ebay several days ago to replace my ailing Idol 4S (secondary phone) and problematic V20. Crazy, I know.. I'm fed up with Android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720