Razer Core X Chroma e-GPU impressions: Adding more than just power

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
razer-core_1.jpg

Recently I got my hands on a Razer Core X Chroma e-GPU housing for testing, and while it makes for a pricey setup, the added features (and power) it brings to my laptop are undeniable.
The Razer Core X Chroma is an e-GPU housing with Thunderbolt 3, allowing you to offload graphics operations to a desktop-class GPU. I borrowed an NVIDIA RTX 2080 FE (cheers, RobeyTech) to test it out with, and have been truly impressed with the ease of setup, the added power, and the convenient features it brings to the table.
As a frequent traveler and remote worker, I've long had a fascination with external docks and e-GPU options for a while. Before switching to a Razer Blade 15 from my Surface Book, I had lamented the lack of Thunderbolt 3 in Microsoft's Surface line. Given how the thermals in those devices are simply unworkable for any sort of graphically-intensive task, having an e-GPU option might have helped the proposition for me. Microsoft says it won't bring Thunderbolt to Surface for security reasons, though, leaving other manufacturers to explore the capabilities instead.

Here are some early impressions with the Razer Core X Chroma e-GPU, alongside an RTX 2080 GPU across gaming and general usability.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes