Nokia X and X+ announced, runs Android apps

csd_images

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Here's an interesting thought that I've yet to see punted. What does this do to Google? It totally undermines what they've achieved with GMS, in that they've locked Android down to prevent the defection of OEMs from that platform. It's a clear message to other OEMs saying hey we can create a phone without Google so what's to stop you? So what's to stop MS offering a similar service other OEMs to break the monopoly of Android, kill revenue to Google and fragment the market further?

To me whilst it may seem counter-intuitive to release an AOSP phone, it's a great Trojan horse to get people hooked on MS services and from that they are locked into a eco-system and more importantly away from Google.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Here's an interesting thought that I've yet to see punted. What does this do to Google? It totally undermines what they've achieved with GMS, in that they've locked Android down to prevent the defection of OEMs from that platform. It's a clear message to other OEMs saying hey we can create a phone without Google so what's to stop you? So what's to stop MS offering a similar service other OEMs to break the monopoly of Android, kill revenue to Google and fragment the market further?

To me whilst it may seem counter-intuitive to release an AOSP phone, it's a great Trojan horse to get people hooked on MS services and from that they are locked into a eco-system and more importantly away from Google.

I think you're putting too much value in the services. people don't care where their stuff is as long as it is theirs and accessible.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I speculated along the same lines. See this.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
One thing that looked really disappointing with Nokia X is how nice the UI looked. Fast lane seems like a nice idea, and I like how it had a notification center. Why doesn't or didn't Windows 8 have those features? Why is Microsoft okay with them releasing what appears to be a more detailed and feature packed forked OS over WP8?

Also one thing I don't understand is their target with these phones. If people buy them like them, and then decide to go for the more "Premium" Lumia line-up what happens when they find out that WP8 doesn't support open source app stores so they can't get a lot of the apps they've been using. Are they just hoping everyone decides to move their apps to WP8 by then?

Overall I'm surprised I think the Nokia X looks like a fantastic phone, the UI looks great and it runs Android Apps which is awesome, I'm just worried that while it will help them gain that low cost market, I don't think it'll increase the higher end WP adoption.

If all this is true, should Microsoft even continue with Windows Phone?

Last edited:

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

hmm, locking users into one services provider is bad, but the next one is good.

it seems letting users choose their own path is the best way to avoid evil.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

If Microsoft offers a "Similar Service" for other OEM's then what happens to Windows Phone? Sounds like your theory would just suggest Microsoft gets everyone to leave Google and make their own OS's but then nobody is going to use WP8 anymore. Another thing worth noting is this phone is still built off Android in many ways, and other OEM's would likely have to skin android to compared to making a whole new OS, and one problem with that is eventually Google can lock down Android again. Last I heard they have a couple years left from a contract saying they wouldn't do that, but when they do close it down OEM's will be screwed.

adam22

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Makes no sense. If they want 'cheap' devices, they've been successful with the 520/1. I have a 521 and it's extremely fast and stable. $60 outright is about as low as it gets.

This thing doesn't get the Windows Store or the Play Store, and is just a skinned up Android missing an essential piece.

If my understanding is correct, M$ does not own Nokia yet. I wouldn't imagine them continuing this after they take over, so the only good news is they might be 20 bucks when all is said and done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99