02-26-2014 08:00 PM
27 12
tools
    Here's an interesting thought that I've yet to see punted. What does this do to Google? It totally undermines what they've achieved with GMS, in that they've locked Android down to prevent the defection of OEMs from that platform. It's a clear message to other OEMs saying hey we can create a phone without Google so what's to stop you? So what's to stop MS offering a similar service other OEMs to break the monopoly of Android, kill revenue to Google and fragment the market further?

To me whilst it may seem counter-intuitive to release an AOSP phone, it's a great Trojan horse to get people hooked on MS services and from that they are locked into a eco-system and more importantly away from Google.
    If Microsoft offers a "Similar Service" for other OEM's then what happens to Windows Phone? Sounds like your theory would just suggest Microsoft gets everyone to leave Google and make their own OS's but then nobody is going to use WP8 anymore. Another thing worth noting is this phone is still built off Android in many ways, and other OEM's would likely have to skin android to compared to making a whole new OS, and one problem with that is eventually Google can lock down Android again. Last I heard they have a couple years left from a contract saying they wouldn't do that, but when they do close it down OEM's will be screwed.
    02-25-2014 05:46 PM
    Makes no sense. If they want 'cheap' devices, they've been successful with the 520/1. I have a 521 and it's extremely fast and stable. $60 outright is about as low as it gets.

This thing doesn't get the Windows Store or the Play Store, and is just a skinned up Android missing an essential piece.

If my understanding is correct, M$ does not own Nokia yet. I wouldn't imagine them continuing this after they take over, so the only good news is they might be 20 bucks when all is said and done.
    02-26-2014 08:00 PM
27 12