The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-19-2014 01:42 PM
29 12
tools

Weve covered the journey of Firefox for Windows 8 since the project was announced in late 2012. Our first real look at the app came in February 2013 when we took the app for a spin and did a hands-on of Firefox for Windows 8. This past August the team at Mozilla announced that Firefox for Windows 8 would come out in December.
    We later learned that the release was pushed back to 2014. A bunch of updates later and the app finally went into open beta last month. Turns out that was all for nothing. Mozilla is killing Firefox for Windows 8.

Full story from the WPCentral blog...
    03-14-2014 05:40 PM
    That a massive disappointment!
    03-14-2014 05:53 PM
    That a massive disappointment!
    I wouldn't worry about it too much, Modern Firefox was also massive dissapointment.
    Last edited by Jas00555; 03-14-2014 at 06:24 PM.
    Jack Janik likes this.
    03-14-2014 06:06 PM
    I wouldn't worry about it too much, Modern Firefox was also massive dissapointment.
    To be honest I didn't even know it was even release (beta).
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-14-2014 06:48 PM
    I been reading some general tech sites and comments and there all calling it a fail for Microsoft that just insane so much hate toward MS.
    wpn00b likes this.
    03-14-2014 07:12 PM
    I been reading some general tech sites and comments and there all calling it a fail for Microsoft that just insane so much hate toward MS.
    Modern UI adopton stats have been pretty flat, but I don't know that I'd call it a "fail". It is somewhat unfortunate that we'll be back to one option only for a browser on that interface if for no other reason than choice is always a good thing. I've been consistently using the most recent beta and it really wasn't too bad at this point. Speed was getting better and can't recall the last time it had crashed on me. Pity.

Posted via the WPC App!
    03-14-2014 11:31 PM
    Double dang it ... too bad

PCWorld said something about Mozilla saying less than 1000 beta downloads turned off further development.
    Mozilla essentially indicated a Metro version would be a waste of time for them.
    03-14-2014 11:39 PM
    I downloaded it and actually had it as my default Windows 8.1 browser. The problem is I rarely browse in metro at all. 99% of the time when I run Windows, I use desktop Firefox. I just don't like metro browsing, since it lacks so many features of desktop browsing. My default desktop browser in Windows 8.1 is Firefox.
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-15-2014 12:09 AM
    I downloaded it and actually had it as my default Windows 8.1 browser. The problem is I rarely browse in metro at all. 99% of the time when I run Windows, I use desktop Firefox. I just don't like metro browsing, since it lacks so many features of desktop browsing. My default desktop browser in Windows 8.1 is Firefox.
    Ya know you're right Laura touch browsing is a real chore.
    Me rarely can stand it for more than a few minutes.

I use both IE then Firefox on desktop.
    Some things work on one when things don't work on the other.

I have just about everything blocked or filtered on both browsers.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-15-2014 12:24 AM
    Ya know you're right Laura touch browsing is a real chore.
    Me rarely can stand it for more than a few minutes.

I use both IE then Firefox on desktop.
    Some things work on one when things don't work on the other.

I have just about everything blocked or filtered on both browsers.
    Firefox just works better for me due to the extensions available. I use Ghostery and Request Policy, which are not available in IE.
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-15-2014 12:28 AM
    Firefox just works better for me due to the extensions available. I use Ghostery and Request Policy, which are not available in IE.
    I use Ghostery also.

Seconds ago I had to switch to Firefox so I could like yer postings IE11 won't let me like on WPC again lately.
    A very minor hassle.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-15-2014 12:32 AM
    I use Ghostery also.

Seconds ago I had to switch to Firefox so I could like yer postings IE11 won't let me like on WPC again lately.
    A very minor hassle.
    I reported that bug to the tech staff.
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-15-2014 12:40 AM
    I reported that bug to the tech staff.
    Tanx!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-15-2014 01:32 AM
    Tanx!
    You're welcome.
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-15-2014 01:39 AM
    Well maybe they'll focus on their 'desktop' firefox now, the quality has been going straight down for past 10 versions or so, flash always chrashing, on dual monitor setup it always opens on the wrong one, they ruined the address/search bar... I've disappointed with firefox in general lately. I haven't tried the 'modern' app because I'm on a PC not on a tablet.
    I hope they get their stih together and fix their browser.
    03-15-2014 02:20 AM
    Another reason I like Firefox is because I also run Linux.
    03-15-2014 02:43 AM
    I use Firefox on the Windows 8.1 desktop 95% of the time with AdBlock Plus and No Script with 3rd Party cookies turned off in options.

I started with Netscape due to the early versions of IE being so bad. After AOL bought Netscape, I moved to Mozilla and then Firefox.
    03-15-2014 04:55 AM
    I'm the complete opposite. I spend the majority of my computing time away from the desk on my Venue Pro tablet so having an alternative was nice. I try to do as much work with my fingers as possible so as not to have to rely on the stylus any more than I have to.
    03-15-2014 08:23 AM
    PCWorld advised people not to install it (since it must be default) because it was so bad. To say that the issue is the OS is shortsighted by Mozilla
    Hands-on with Mozilla's long-delayed Metro Firefox app: Good thing it's a beta | PCWorld

And this article by techradar is absurd. I like the lone bullet point at the very end... *shakes head*
    Firefox 'Metro' app abandoned because no one wants Microsoft's Modern UI | News | TechRadar
    03-15-2014 07:13 PM
    PCWorld advised people not to install it (since it must be default) because it was so bad. To say that the issue is the OS is shortsighted by Mozilla
    Hands-on with Mozilla's long-delayed Metro Firefox app: Good thing it's a beta | PCWorld

And this article by techradar is absurd. I like the lone bullet point at the very end... *shakes head*
    Firefox 'Metro' app abandoned because no one wants Microsoft's Modern UI | News | TechRadar
    They never said it was the OS. They said it was the low adoption rate. When you only have 1,000 beta testers vs millions of beta testers on the desktop at any given time that doesn't bode well for continued investment of resources. You've gotta admit that's pretty bad given that there's enough interest in the Linux version to make it worth their while when those have to be fairly modest numbers as well.

Posted via the WPC App!
    03-15-2014 11:03 PM
    They never said it was the OS. They said it was the low adoption rate. When you only have 1,000 beta testers vs millions of beta testers on the desktop at any given time that doesn't bode well for continued investment of resources. You've gotta admit that's pretty bad given that there's enough interest in the Linux version to make it worth their while when those have to be fairly modest numbers as well.

Posted via the WPC App!
    I'm running the Nightly version of Firefox in desktop Windows 8.1 and in Linux.
    03-15-2014 11:05 PM
    Another reason I like Firefox is because I also run Linux.
    http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/u...9.png~original
    Ever used Maxthon?
    03-15-2014 11:14 PM
    Ever used Maxthon?
    Yes, I tried it, but I didn't like it. I didn't see any way to email links. I don't use webmail. I use email clients (Outlook 2013 and Thunderbird).

I also prefer a cross-platform browser, since I run Linux, not just Windows. I belive Maxthon is exclusive to Windows.
    03-15-2014 11:17 PM
    Yes, I tried it, but I didn't like it. I didn't see any way to email links. I don't use webmail. I use email clients (Outlook 2013 and Thunderbird).

I also prefer a cross-platform browser, since I run Linux, not just Windows. I belive Maxthon is exclusive to Windows.
    Maxton has a browser for Windows, Mac and Linux.

The Linux version is in beta at the moment:

Maxthon Cloud Browser for Linux V0.9.3.0 Beta Released! - User Voices - Maxthon Community - Powered by Discuz!
    03-16-2014 07:56 AM
    Seriously i doubt Mozilla guys ever had any interest in making a modern app

Sent from my MIND
    03-16-2014 08:03 AM
29 12