Sorry Xbox fans, Facebook just bought Oculus for $2 billion

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
fortaleza.png

We?ve heard it in the comments for the longest time. ?Microsoft should just buy Oculus? a lot of you would say over and over again. The integration between Oculus and the Xbox One would have been a welcomed feature to most. Sadly, that won?t happen. Facebook just bought Oculus.

Full story from the WPCentral blog...

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Facebook is making a lot of thrifty purchases lately. I guess they can afford to buy whatever they want but I simply don't understand what this is going to do for them as a company.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I think FB is just buying any technology that could promise a very profitable future. Like the social and smartphone explosion, FB wants to ride in the upcoming wave of VR tech if it gets popular. Sony just made a VR headset prototype called "Project Morpheus" MS is making one too and even Valve is cooking something in VR tech. In the end, this FB acquisition of Oculus is a very big bummer for PC gamers, since FB will try to monetize their investment to focus in more profitable fields like mobile and social instead of PC gaming.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I think FB is just buying any technology that could promise a very profitable future. Like the social and smartphone explosion, FB wants to ride in the upcoming wave of VR tech if it gets popular. Sony just made a VR headset prototype called "Project Morpheus" MS is making one too and even Valve is cooking something in VR tech. In the end, this FB acquisition of Oculus is a very big bummer for PC gamers, since FB will try to monetize their investment to focus in more profitable fields like mobile and social instead of PC gaming.
I don't believe Valve is working on anything VR related. They actually sent their employees over to Oculus for free because they wanted to support VR, but they themselves didn't want to work on the hardware. Pretty big slap in the face to them now though.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Valve had something related with VR and like you said, they sent people to assist Oculus... but at the end the VR prototype from Valve is way more advance than Oculus Rift tech.

Valve VR prototype

So, maybe there is hope that Valve want reactivate their VR project. If not, at least there is the Fortaleza project from MS or the Morpheus project from Sony.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss