Apple recognizes the talent at Nokia, hires resident camera expert Ari Partinen

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
ari_partinen_nokia.jpg

Nokia is out of the smartphone race as a company, though Microsoft is picking up the baton with its newly acquired mobile hardware division. That said, competitor companies acknowledge the talent at Nokia, notably Apple who has snipped camera expert Ari Partinen. According to Partinen's Twitter feed, today marks his last day working on the Lumia family of devices.

Full story from the WPCentral blog...

rex.reyesiii

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Will buy Beats(Audio), hired/pirated Ari (Optics)... Apple is on the Move.

Nadella or Elop needs to do something too about hardware. I say, buy FiiO or iBasso or HiFiMan. :)

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I've already posted about it mate..

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

And your point would be.... what? This is where the site posts all their news stories for discussion, regardless of whether anyone has already posted anything about the topic or not.

rex.reyesiii

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Hmm wonder why I don't see this news on my Facebook feed. News block out? Might bring out the impression that Apple will "copy" from Nokia.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
And your point would be.... what? This is where the site posts all their news stories for discussion, regardless of whether anyone has already posted anything about the topic or not.

And to think about it, I didn't realize that WPCentral was the one who posted it! Haha!

zhelf

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
is anyone else worried about the future of the lumia camera quality the iphone always had a great camera but nothing came close to the lumia series cameras. i am a bit nervous cannot lie...

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
is anyone else worried about the future of the lumia camera quality the iphone always had a great camera but nothing came close to the lumia series cameras. i am a bit nervous cannot lie...

Im more nervous about iPhone getting a better camera. Nokia had more then 1 person on it so theirs won't be worse but apple now knows more or less what Nokia did through research.

Also apple will claim to have invented it

zhelf

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Im more nervous about iPhone getting a better camera. Nokia had more then 1 person on it so theirs won't be worse but apple now knows more or less what Nokia did through research.

Also apple will claim to have invented it

They did have more than one person on the imaging and camera team hopefully they did not get laid off the in acquisition as well or leave, im not worried if the iphone gets a better camera i want everyone to get a better camera as it will push everyone else further to do better I love that the lumia devices have amazing cameras and i want them to stay improving and so what if the iphone gets better i hope someone in the android world come with a good camera right now the xperia z2 is the best optics(in a non gimmicky package no referring to the s4 zoom)

I am primarily just worried that losing this engineer who obviously really emphasized camera importance i hope that stays as a value for the future nokia/microsoft lumia devices. I have faith they will stay high quality but i am nervous.

Nine54

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft/Nokia can continue to lead in optics if it continues to prioritize the camera and, when push comes to shove, avoid compromising on decisions involving optical tech. The hardest challenge for any camera experts at Apple will be that, when push comes to shove, Apple will choose form over function. In the same way that Jobs abhorred physical buttons, I'm pretty a Lumia-like camera "hump" would be out of the question.

That said, constraints like that can force innovation: how can we get the same camera performance without the hump? For the foreseeable future, there will be a physics element to camera tech given the lens. But it's going to become more about the camera software than the lens: at some point, the software might be smart enough to know how the picture should look regardless of any technical "user-related" errors in how the picture was taken. HDR is a step in this direction.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft/Nokia can continue to lead in optics if it continues to prioritize the camera and, when push comes to shove, avoid compromising on decisions involving optical tech. The hardest challenge for any camera experts at Apple will be that, when push comes to shove, Apple will choose form over function. In the same way that Jobs abhorred physical buttons, I'm pretty a Lumia-like camera "hump" would be out of the question.

That said, constraints like that can force innovation: how can we get the same camera performance without the hump? For the foreseeable future, there will be a physics element to camera tech given the lens. But it's going to become more about the camera software than the lens: at some point, the software might be smart enough to know how the picture should look regardless of any technical "user-related" errors in how the picture was taken. HDR is a step in this direction.

I'm not impressed at the current software introduced by devices with less better lens and camera technology compared to Pure View. Look at Oppo Find 7's 'supersampling' technology. Even if they say it produces 50 MP photos, the Lumia 1020 full resolution photos look way better despite having less pixels. There's no substitute for the real thing yo.

And there's Apple's stubborn form over function. In the end they are the ones to eat their own words. They laughed at the Nexus 7 but they produced a smaller iPad due to increasing popularity of the smaller tablet form. Their current dilemma now are how phablets challenge smaller phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett