Windows Phone 8.1 picks up first update, improves battery life and squashes bugs

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
How long have you had 8.1 and do you have the Cortana tile pinned? Just curious b/c you said you haven't seen any battery problems. I also have an Icon and I started seeing seeing rapid unexplained battery drains after a week or so. Did a hard reset and saw the same thing so I ended up going back to 8. A few posts in another discussion say unpinning Cortana helped. I didn't try that before reverting so it'd be good to know what's on Icon owners start screens if they're not having battery problems.

I have the Icon and only experienced battery problems right after installing the developer preview. It got much better after a few days. No battery problems since then.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Having a bug after the upgrade. There is an app that need to be update it from the store and when I click tap to retry the update, nothing happen. I restarted the phone and still the app is there and don't want to update.

Solved: Just tap on the app twice and install the app on the phone, instead of the SD card.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I installed the update without any issue.. On my Lumia 1020 . Will use it for few days to see the difference in the battery life as I was getting 22hrs with medium use... Thou phone is much faster now.... Thou time me app was giving me trouble.... Will check if it solved now

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
So I downloaded the original update but never installed it due to the issues everyone was having. It still just notifies me that the update is ready and I tell it to postpone. If I download the new update, will I be able to update directly to that or will I have to install the original update first?

e1tep

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I noticed that some animations that used to lag a bit are now smoother (at least I haven't encountered any lags so far)
Did anyone experience the same?

PS: a new forum member rocking a Lumia 920 😎

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Are the users who had a lot of "Resuming..." Seeing less of it? I haven't had the issue on my 1020 but others have.

I find it smoother, better transitions and animations more fluid.

associatedpress

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes, much smoother transitions. No more white screen when using Facebook messenger upon resume. WhatsApp opens more reliably from the tile also. Good job Microsoft. Looking forward to battery 🔋 improvements in the Lumia Icon.

Michael Kozak

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Anyone else getting white screen "flashes" ... When closing email accounts? Getting them when I close out either of my email accounts! Just real quick white flashes in screen! Hmmmp 😵

Other than that things running well with DP update. Good battery life so far!!

CrossedFaith

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
It seems a lot smoother since I updated. I've had the dev preview since day one, and I've had this update for about....6 hours or so. Definitely seems better, but tomorrow will be more of a test. Since ill be at work all day. *groans*

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The battery seams the same to me, but I wasn't really having issues. I mean I was but not because of 8.1 but because my 920 is old now. Some apps seem to be better now.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Is it me or is Facebook actually opening much faster than before? Seriously I do not recall that specific app to open so fast.

it seems that Microsoft has changed the behavior of the back button for FB. for me using FB beta, backing out of the app apparently doesn't close it but just tombstone it so when I tap the tile again it goes directly back to where I was.
This should addresses complains that the FB in the people hub integration was faster than opening app.

this behavior only exists if you back out of the app. if you long press back and closes the app in the app switcher then the next time the app starts there will be the same blue facebook initial screen.
so for the best experience don't close fb, just back out of it.

codynunes

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I wad really hoping they would have cleaned up Cortanas voice on the phone end. They cleaned the back end for stuff from the internet an witty responses, but contact names still sound robotic in this update.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
My battery went from very good to very bad. I really hope it turns around or I'll be wiping it back to stock which I'd really rather not have to do. I'm not noticing any big benefits to this update. I hope others are getting some.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I wad really hoping they would have cleaned up Cortanas voice on the phone end. They cleaned the back end for stuff from the internet an witty responses, but contact names still sound robotic in this update.

That's because those use the regular Tell Me voice. I hope they replace those with Jen Taylor's to have a complete Cortana vocabulary eventually.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
it seems that Microsoft has changed the behavior of the back button for FB. for me using FB beta, backing out of the app apparently doesn't close it but just tombstone it so when I tap the tile again it goes directly back to where I was.
This should addresses complains that the FB in the people hub integration was faster than opening app.

this behavior only exists if you back out of the app. if you long press back and closes the app in the app switcher then the next time the app starts there will be the same blue facebook initial screen.
so for the best experience don't close fb, just back out of it.

i thought that in 8.1 pressing back in ANY app tombstoned it ? They had done something like RT to it.
How does this implementation work ? Annoyed or good ? (am yet to update)

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
My battery went from very good to very bad. I really hope it turns around or I'll be wiping it back to stock which I'd really rather not have to do. I'm not noticing any big benefits to this update. I hope others are getting some.

Dude calm down, give it some days to have a better judgement, battery life is likely to suck after any update only because users like to play a lot with the device to see the new stuff, when users go back to normal usage then is when you measure the battery life...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99