Windows Phone 8.1 picks up first update, improves battery life and squashes bugs

dfbonney

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Left phone off charger to test sleep drain. Over 8 hours only lost 4% which, for me is down from about 10-12 prior to this update. Lumia icon.

patrickg25

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Not really seeing any battery changes. I was excited because my phone only lasts 4-6 hours and I have to charge twice daily (moderate to heavy use) Lumia 625, but it seems like the usual. When I get it off charger I usually have 40 minutes until my 100% drops to 99%. Then it'll get crappy, it goes 98 in ten minutes and 97...96.. And I soft rest so it kinda went to 93% just like that. 20 minutes later I'm on 88% (currently) maybe the battery improvement is for Icon only? Or I have a hardware problem maybe. Can somebody relate?

pdelvo

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I have my 1520 since Monday and installed the developer preview at the same day, so i don't know what the battery performance was before. But today it seems like it is literally doubled. O_O

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Not really seeing any battery changes. I was excited because my phone only lasts 4-6 hours and I have to charge twice daily (moderate to heavy use) Lumia 625, but it seems like the usual. When I get it off charger I usually have 40 minutes until my 100% drops to 99%. Then it'll get crappy, it goes 98 in ten minutes and 97...96.. And I soft rest so it kinda went to 93% just like that. 20 minutes later I'm on 88% (currently) maybe the battery improvement is for Icon only? Or I have a hardware problem maybe. Can somebody relate?

Hey i thought lumia 625 has a very good battery life.but yours doesnt suggest so :what:;):D

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

patrickg25

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Hey i thought lumia 625 has a very good battery life.but yours doesnt suggest so :what:;):D

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Yeah I heard so too. Maybe this is hardware problem. Now that warranty is gone I'm dead. My only hope is the firmware/driver updates, or the next WP 8.1 updates IF THERE WILL BE MORE. Sigh

grininja

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
On a Lumia 720 the battery life seems improved so far. After 15 hours of normal use has discharged 50%. Consumption rate today was at 5-6% at its peak. (Before was 8-10%)

Bearach

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I started a new thread on the update but "azcruz" told me that there is already one.
Gone through 8 pages and found nothing but timepass.

Thinking to make the other thread active again. But keeping that apart,

-Action Center scroll down is less/no stuttering now.
-A few apps resumes a lot faster. (I do it for whatsapp a lot so noticed it instantly)
-Battery on my Lumia720 has always been same since WP8. Good 30-36hrs with 2G always on.

What do you mean time pass? There is information in this thread. I myself updated on 2 bugs that effected many others (looking on the official problems forum).

I've not seen any noticeable increase in battery life. Phone still easily gets through the day with 3G, but seems to drain around the same amount. The action centre "lag" is still unfortunately there. Might try a hard reset to see if it helps.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Where is the thread for the people who said there were not going to be any updates, and the Dev Preview WAS THE FINAL VERSION, and that we were stupid for even suggesting otherwise?

I want to hang out with those idiots.

Aren't you just glad they were wrong though? :)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Worse for me on the ICON... and other things I would hope were fixed where not. After installing the update, I did a soft reset.

1. Played real racing 2 last night, when started, my battery on my ICON was 33%, played for about 10 min, 3 total races, then my phone came back beeping that my battery was low, ended my game and I was at 6%, 5 min later, the phone powered off. Today, still some kind of drain going on, used it very little and at like 85%, normally I would be around 95% at this point of the day. Only 3-4 background tasks are allowed and this all started after the update.

2. After using the phone for more than 3-4 min, it's VERY HOT, and the longer I use it the hotter it gets....was not this bad before the update.

3. IE is still screwed up, have it set to desktop view, go to ebay, home page shows fine, My Ebay shows fine but, look at any item, and it goes to the WAP page, same problem on other sites, like twitter and facebook.... Still a major problem.

At least they fixed the Twitter app, before when I looked at a image someone posted it would crash, now it's fine.....at least something was fixed...

So far not impressed with this update and it made things WORSE for me...

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
2. After using the phone for more than 3-4 min, it's VERY HOT, and the longer I use it the hotter it gets....was not this bad before the update.

3-4 minutes using the phone and doing what? If you're not using GPS, playing games, or streaming videos, then you have a problem, and it likely would be fixed by a hard reset or a replacement device. If you are using one or a combination of these, then you do not have a problem and that is expected.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Worse for me on the ICON... and other things I would hope were fixed where not. After installing the update, I did a soft reset.

1. Played real racing 2 last night, when started, my battery on my ICON was 33%, played for about 10 min, 3 total races, then my phone came back beeping that my battery was low, ended my game and I was at 6%, 5 min later, the phone powered off. Today, still some kind of drain going on, used it very little and at like 85%, normally I would be around 95% at this point of the day. Only 3-4 background tasks are allowed and this all started after the update.

3. IE is still screwed up, have it set to desktop view, go to ebay, home page shows fine, My Ebay shows fine but, look at any item, and it goes to the WAP page, same problem on other sites, like twitter and facebook.... Still a major problem.

At least they fixed the Twitter app, before when I looked at a image someone posted it would crash, now it's fine.....at least something was fixed...

So far not impressed with this update and it made things WORSE for me...
I had your issues after the recent update. I did numerous soft resets and no difference. Finally did the hard reset and BIG difference. Back to normal and possibly even better than it was, time will tell.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Lockscreen keypress 'click' is still broken on my L820, worked initially after first dev preview update last month then just stopped even though the check box is ticked.

That's a quiet hour bug. go into settings, quiet hour, and toggle it from off, to on, to off. then your lock sound should work again.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
So it's only been a day since I updated and I haven't seen HUGE improvements.

I rolled back to 8.0 grabbed the update that was pushed out, then reinstalled 8.1 and then grabbed the 8.1 update. My battery life is about the same, pretty decent. My Wi-Fi is the same, which was good, and there is a cool little arrow on it now. Facebook loads faster, even if you close it out completely. I've noticed that apps in general seem to load faster. Of course, with and OS update, results may vary.

My issue with 8.1 was that after upgrading to 8.1, I decided to do a hard reset and reinstall and not restore from a back up. Somehow, the install became corrupted and I was having issues; Kid's Corner in particular, and it seemed unstable. Now that I've essentially started from scratch, everything seems to be working like it was when I first updated to 8.1.

Bring on Cyan!

Jonhy05

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
If I may, can I make a suggestion that would improve somehow the Notification Center? When you turn on Wi-Fi for example, the button toggles on, but when you want to toggle it off, the NC opens up the Wi-Fi Settings page... My suggestion is, make those buttons "fully toggable" (one tap on or off), and if the user desires to change the Wi-Fi network currently connected, then tap & hold to open up the settings page.

Just saying... Other than that, I'm still testing the battery duration in my L920.

PS: Last version, I had a horrible horrible touch bug that would let me swipe up to unlock the screen, the touch just didn't work at all (including the Back, Home and Search buttons), but the physical buttons did work. The only way you could fix it without restarting, was Holding the Lock button as if you were to turn the phone off, and then press Back.
I'm going to edit this later on with any news.
Edit: My L920 lasted 19 hours with 5 hours of only 3G Data connection and the rest with Wi-Fi and Cellular Data. No battery saving mode. Using it to check emails and Facebook stuffs every 20 minutes for 5 min during those 3G-only hours.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire