Windows Phone 8.1 picks up first update, improves battery life and squashes bugs

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Mine is always on, and I have not experienced any unusual drain on my icon. Cortana tile is pointed to start screen as well. 😊

Sent from Lumia Icon using Tapatalk

shielah

May 18, 2012
Visit site
I've read somewhere that the app battery saver was the culprit. I tried it myself and saw a difference. Just try it and disable this app to work in the background. It will still manage to keep the info as to which app uses the battery but it won't constantly run in the background.

Well I just turned it off , so we will see, I hope that fixes it.. Thanks

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
It is a fact that if you are paranoid about your battery life and you check the battery saver app constantly, it will use a lot more power. Just like everything else. I recall people turning off Cortana because it was the #1 battery drained. Well, it was #1 on my list too for the first few weeks. Why? Because that's what I used the most. I was trying new things on top of doing the things that are normal. Now that life with 8.1 is normal to me, I still use Cortana a lot but it's hardly even in the top 15 now. Perhaps you do have a real problem, but at some point you need to stop obsessing over apps and just start living life.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
It is a fact that if you are paranoid about your battery life and you check the battery saver app constantly, it will use a lot more power. Just like everything else. I recall people turning off Cortana because it was the #1 battery drained. Well, it was #1 on my list too for the first few weeks. Why? Because that's what I used the most. I was trying new things on top of doing the things that are normal. Now that life with 8.1 is normal to me, I still use Cortana a lot but it's hardly even in the top 15 now. Perhaps you do have a real problem, but at some point you need to stop obsessing over apps and just start living life.

Doesn't explain sudden, rapid drains of 40%+ in less than an hour while I was away from my phone...

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't explain sudden, rapid drains of 40%+ in less than an hour while I was away from my phone...

I hardly ever used Cortana (as she would never work properly for me) and turning her off made a good difference in battery life. Wi-Fi sense, Cortana and email syncing were my biggest battery problems. Disabling Cortana and Wi-Fi sense took my idle from 2.7-3.5 to .7-1.3

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes location based reminder is not working with Cortana.....i tried it says cant find the location on the map

Be more specific. What exactly are you doing that doesn't work? Because it works fine for me. Just setup a location based reminder yesterday and got it today when I arrived at my office.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
My location based reminders still working fine after this update. Are you using "places" in Cortana's menu and going to "remind me" to set them up?

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I've had a consistent smooth experience and my battery life is back to where it used to be before 8.1

Sent from my all seeing 1020

mike13ftw

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
With my Lumia 820 I managed to go through a day of usage with at least 30 minutes YouTube videos ,20 minutes of six guns , 1 hour of watching online some episodes , 2-3 hours of music via headphones and browsing a lot . I am sure that the battery life has improved

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Now that some days have passed I feel safe to say this, BIG improvement with my battery life, I'm using a 920 and with the first release of 8.1 DP the battery life was awful, I had to charge my phone in the morning, then charge it again at 5 or 6pm and then sometimes at night again, so 2 times a day and sometimes even 3, now I'm able to charge my phone at night and use it until 8 or 9pm of the next day, I was thinking that it could have been a faulty battery but now I'm happy with my 920 again, I don't need to carry my charger to college anymore. And from other bugs, I really didn't have them, just noticed that everything seems faster (except nokia cam which still is very slow to open); Facebook beta flies on this update, just gotta remember not to close it (kinda hard since now I'm used to just swipe down to close apps).

Delay while launching Cortana no moar!. Also I'm not sure but it seems like Cortana has new animations.

That being said I kinda feel there is no reason to upgrade to the 1520, Icon or 930 just yet, but then again, I'm weak...

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
One new thing I love about this update is that when you hold the cursor when typing in a text box, the cursor now expands for you to be able to see it. I hated the new cursor because I could never see where I was positioning it when holding and dragging. Now, it's actually usable lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos