03-18-2015 04:42 AM
146 ... 456
tools
    Just a little humor as things are getting to serious when you consider we are getting upset about a telephone. The world will not end if something does happen or even if it does not.

Sent from my KFTT using Mobile Nations mobile app
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    07-18-2014 11:54 AM
    hasn't quite been a month yet, did something major happen yet ?
    07-20-2014 09:24 AM
    exactly i was wondering too :/
    07-20-2014 09:37 AM
    hasn't quite been a month yet, did something major happen yet ?
    You must have missed it, Germany won the World Cup. Aside from that, it's all quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums
    ohgood and a5cent like this.
    07-21-2014 02:42 PM
    You must have missed it, Germany won the World Cup. Aside from that, it's all quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums
    That explains why folks in the us have gone back to talking about nascar instead of sports. :D
    07-21-2014 03:17 PM
    That explains why folks in the us have gone back to talking about nascar instead of sports. :D
    Excellent. I just found out what that stands for. (NON Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks.)
    Last edited by gamo62; 07-21-2014 at 03:31 PM.
    tgp, a5cent, Captains and 1 others like this.
    07-21-2014 03:21 PM
    They should just call it Rednecks Who Can't Turn Right. Not a good acronym but it fits.

Sent From An Atrocious Android POS Pretending To Be A Smartphone
    Last edited by fatclue_98; 07-22-2014 at 08:58 PM.
    ohgood likes this.
    07-21-2014 10:29 PM
    Excellent. I just found out what that stands for. (NON Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks.)
    loll that's fantastic
    07-25-2014 07:47 PM
    What was this major thing? Its been a while now and nothing has been shown off or released to support his statement..
    09-09-2014 05:23 PM
    What was this major thing? Its been a while now and nothing has been shown off or released to support his statement..
    Barnacules was a software developer at Microsoft, and there's a software announcement expected on the 30th of September.
    09-09-2014 05:38 PM
    Thanks!
    09-10-2014 12:38 PM
    Still interested in knowing what he meant. 30th of September passed and nothing groundbreaking was revealed..
    10-18-2014 08:41 AM
    MS has another SW conference coming up in November.

I think MS will announce a tool chain that allows developers to write a .net WP app which the tools can then automatically translate into an objective C/Java based iOS/Android app.

This would be MS' way of convincing companies to develop for WP. Pay for app development once, but get three.

This approach would be completely free of all the negative side effects that come with allowing Android apps to run on WP, it would help solve WP's biggest problem (the app quality gap), and I think this would very much upset both Google and Apple.
    hcrick and sahib lopez like this.
    10-18-2014 09:25 AM
    MS has another SW conference coming up in November.

I think MS will announce a tool chain that allows developers to write a .net WP app which the tools can then automatically translate into an objective C/Java based iOS/Android app.

This would be MS' way of convincing companies to develop for WP. Pay for app development once, but get three.

This approach would be completely free of all the negative side effects that come with allowing Android apps to run on WP, it would help solve WP's biggest problem (the app quality gap), and I think this would very much upset both Google and Apple.
    Would that be the SAME interface on all platforms? But that's not great! Apps that aren't made with the OS's design language wouldn't look as nice :(
    10-18-2014 11:53 AM
    Would that be the SAME interface on all platforms? But that's not great! Apps that aren't made with the OS's design language wouldn't look as nice :(
    I have no idea. I'm just guessing at what could have been meant.

Up until very recently there was no unified design language for Android, and what Google has come up with now does look very similar to what WP has had since day one. I think that could be manageable without anyone realising that the Android app was derived from WP. I don't know how well that would work on iOS, but considering iOS doesn't have a lot of guidelines that relate to navigation/interaction either, that seems manageable to me too. I'd have to study this a lot more though to be sure. It's just a hunch.

Anyway, as long as such a technology uses each OSes own UI library to do the actual UI rendering (similar to Java's SWT), I think MS could realize something that offers a great experience on each platform, despite each app being derived/translated from a WP code base. If such apps use their own rendering library, so that UI elements on Android and iOS look identical to WP, then I agree that such an approach is very likely to fail (similar to how Java's Swing has pretty much failed for look&feel and performance reasons).
    Last edited by a5cent; 10-22-2014 at 05:17 PM. Reason: spelling
    KhawarNadeem likes this.
    10-18-2014 07:34 PM
    What I learned when I became an MS fanboy: PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE

If not for my fanboyism I might have left this community a long time ago lol
    koolnaija likes this.
    10-18-2014 07:48 PM

Up until very recently there was no unified design language for Android
    Holo was Androids first real design language, and was first introduced in 3.0 Honeycomb. Google started to really get everyone on board with 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, and now they have Material Design with 5.0

I know you're going to say that Android developers haven't followed a design language, because I keep seeing that comment made here a lot.
    10-18-2014 10:48 PM
    After reading this it reminds me of Samsung. "the next big thing is here" well, maybe next month.

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk
    10-18-2014 11:31 PM
    I know you're going to say that Android developers haven't followed a design language, because I keep seeing that comment made here a lot.
    You can see that claim made pretty much anywhere. Not just here. There is no doubt that UI consistency on WP is higher than on any other mobile platform. That's not just a fluke either. WP partially enforces its design language through technical means. For developers, this makes it very easy to design apps that follow the metro design language, and hard to deviate from it.

For iOS and Android the design languages are really just guidelines. Nothing more. Nothing enforces them. It's easy to deviate from them, and many do. Many developers don't even read those guidelines. Apple does tend to reject apps that deviate too far from their vision however. Google doesn't.
    KhawarNadeem likes this.
    10-22-2014 05:26 PM
    For iOS and Android the design languages are really just guidelines. Nothing more. Nothing enforces them. It's easy to deviate from them, and many do. Many developers don't even read those guidelines. Apple does tend to reject apps that deviate too far from their vision however. Google doesn't.
    Apps on the Play Store are really all over the place. Not even the big names follow the Holo design language at all. I don't know if that will change with Material design either (That is kind of a silly name for a design language though lol).

I'm so obsessed with gorgeous looks of Metro that it ain't even funny. Even the presentations I make for class are based on Metro. :D And then everyone keeps asking me how I came up with the idea for those big bold fonts and colours. Haha. MS nailed the design, and I'm glad for it.
    a5cent likes this.
    10-25-2014 11:01 AM
    another part of the hint is "across everything"... That's why my wishful thinking could only speculate they're gonna release some version of windows phone to load in android devices and maybe they've even found a way for iphones (jailbroken or not). Of course they'd have to release a desktop program to use for this feature. Think about it, android devices can be flashed with custom roms, why not a variant of wp? "we can do that?!?"

also, msft is keen on getting people on board to use their services, that's where they expect money to flow from. Not to mention, they're practically giving away wp for free, they might as well release it "into the wild." msft is a corporation, a for profit entity, this 'surprising move' must be financially motivated for the bigwigs to approve. They already have apps for their services for ios and android. If people are interested in having full integration of these services with their os (hello cortana, onedrive, xbox), they can flash a wp rom into their device. Of course this requires msft to focus development of their services integrated with wp... Something a lot of us here have had gripes with.

Such a move would upset android and apple. Apple won't release ios out there. Android, it's out there but being open source and very customizable, at the expense of security, is too fragmented. Wp, if released properly and 'curated' by msft would be great as a unified, secure os for arm devices.... That's like taking a page from the success of windows in pcs, it can be installed in machines meeting minimum requirements. That would "upset the world across everything."
    This just happened!!! Woooo! I predicted it!!! http://www.windowscentral.com/micros...dows-10-phones
    MaxyBley and deadwrong03 like this.
    03-18-2015 04:42 AM
146 ... 456