Wait for it...something major is coming to Windows Phone!

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, it's that "can we do that???!!!" reaction that makes me think MS has done something truly nuts like port the Windows Phone Emulator in the SDK over to Android, so people can check out the genuine article of Windows Phone... on their existing phone. So it's a VM of the Windows Phone reference hardware, that runs as an Android app, that you can then load a Windows Phone OS image into as a guest. It's clearly connected to Android, whatever it is.

But nobody who buys an Android or iPhone would feel the need to do that. It is a ridiculous assumption and quite useless.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
So it must be something from Microsoft research. Only that would explain why a software engineer didn't know about it and was shocked.

That's what I was thinking when I heard that. Based on the circumstance in which it was spoken, I would expect it to involve Microsoft code of some sort, not Google's.

The only reasonable innovation I can think of at the moment would be integrating a Kinect sensor underneath the touch screen of the phone (or to replace the ffc), and using the Kinect's camera technology to unlock the phone, play games, extend functionality, and using it WITH Cortana for more conventional usage, e.g. Kinect/Cortana sees that you're sad (frowning face, etc.) and recommends a game or a music album accordingly.

That would be unbelievable and would definitely upset the world, since the Kinect technology is exclusive to Microsoft, and Microsoft Research probably does a lot of work with it.

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
But nobody who buys an Android or iPhone would feel the need to do that. It is a ridiculous assumption and quite useless.

It's not an assumption, it's a hypothesis, there's a difference. And yes, it is ridiculous, but then I did call the idea truly nuts.

Everyone's suggestions on this thread are useless, because we're all as in the dark about the truth as each other!

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
That's what I was thinking when I heard that. Based on the circumstance in which it was spoken, I would expect it to involve Microsoft code of some sort, not Google's.

The only reasonable innovation I can think of at the moment would be integrating a Kinect sensor underneath the touch screen of the phone (or to replace the ffc), and using the Kinect's camera technology to unlock the phone, play games, extend functionality, and using it WITH Cortana for more conventional usage, e.g. Kinect/Cortana sees that you're sad (frowning face, etc.) and recommends a game or a music album accordingly.

That would be unbelievable and would definitely upset the world, since the Kinect technology is exclusive to Microsoft, and Microsoft Research probably does a lot of work with it.
Gimmicky Kinect focused stuff isn't a massive bomb that would upset the world. Not to mention that would be expensive as hell and drain battery like crazy (When Cortana alone already does that well enough).

Finally I don't think that's it because that would have to be on completely new hardware and why would they announce new hardware when the Lumia 930 isn't even out yet.

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Something that would genuinely upset the world across everything and make a senior software developer go "we can do that?!" would be merging the full Windows, Windows RT and Windows Phone OS into one OS, using a chip to make the ARM and x86 incompatabilities irrelevant.

It would close any app gap, make Windows the most powerful cross-platform operating system ever and make both Apple and Google sweat profusely. Neither of them have anything that can compete with something as established and globally used as Windows.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Something that would genuinely upset the world across everything and make a senior software developer go "we can do that?!" would be merging the full Windows, Windows RT and Windows Phone OS into one OS, using a chip to make the ARM and x86 incompatabilities irrelevant.

It would close any app gap, make Windows the most powerful cross-platform operating system ever and make both Apple and Google sweat profusely. Neither of them have anything that can compete with something as established and globally used as Windows.

Or to expand off of that, I'm also thinking (more like daydreaming) that they've figured out a way to basically plug your phone into a monitor and its a PC or plug it into a TV and its an Xbox TV.... *sigh* one can dream.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site

But Windows desktop is not useful on a mobile... Only when docking or attaching to a big screen then.. I doubt the regular users care about that.

And merging these OS's takes a lot of time and effort across all teams. It would not come as a shock to him. It sounds more like a sudden break through at Microsoft research.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

Why not just port Android to WP..that way we could have a true dual boot phone.

This would shake the very foundations of mobile phones.....and really be amazing

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
But Windows desktop is not useful on a mobile... Only when docking or attaching to a big screen then.. I doubt the regular users care about that.

And merging these OS's takes a lot of time and effort across all teams. It would not come as a shock to him. It sounds more like a sudden break through at Microsoft research.

For something as ground-breaking as a complete Windows merger, a small redesign in how Windows operates to ensure a smoother cross-platform user interface would be simple.

And absolutely, a complete Windows merger (a long shot as far as speculation goes) would take a lot of time and work. But who's to say they haven't worked on it for a long time already?

If this speculation is anywhere near the truth, Threshold would indeed "upset the world across everything".

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Windows One; it runs Windows Phone apps, Windows (RT) store apps, Legacy x86/64 apps, and Android apps! ;)

ok, let's think about that one for a second...

wp apps = there are -some-
rt apps = ditto
(so far no great world shaking revelations...)

legacy x86 apps = ok, that's pretty cool, but usability is gonna be a pita unless the UI is re-written for touch, and bigger buttons, basicly a full redesign.

android apps = the only part that is truly ground breaking, is letting the mobile OS that is dominating your market, even deeper into your market ?

this just doesn't sound like a good way to shake up the mobile (or computing in general) planet to me.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't need any Android apps; the apps I'm missing are all iOS only. Let's get iOS apps on WP!

This might be something like the 3D gesture stuff. But it will have to be pretty amazing to not just get dismissed as a gimmick like the Galaxy or Fire's unique features.

JohnDoeWII

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't need any Android apps; the apps I'm missing are all iOS only. Let's get iOS apps on WP!

This might be something like the 3D gesture stuff. But it will have to be pretty amazing to not just get dismissed as a gimmick like the Galaxy or Fire's unique features.

iPhone apps on WP would not look good as the screen solution would be totally different. It would look like crap.

Sent from my 1215B using Tapatalk

Wall iPhone

May 9, 2014
Visit site
For something as ground-breaking as a complete Windows merger, a small redesign in how Windows operates to ensure a smoother cross-platform user interface would be simple.

And absolutely, a complete Windows merger (a long shot as far as speculation goes) would take a lot of time and work. But who's to say they haven't worked on it for a long time already?

If this speculation is anywhere near the truth, Threshold would indeed "upset the world across everything".

I'm also having these thoughts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire